01-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #485
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Your understanding of the U.S. and policing is a bit flawed. You should stop believing all of the stories that people tell you.
I'll keep that in mind until this occours to me

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24967.00
      01-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #486
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
There is no data base where we can put your name into our mobile work station and get your whole life history, which always seems to include your public school teachers, entire employment history etc.
You need a better IT department
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
vreihen1615097.00
      01-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #487
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I know the answer is most likely no, but are you more likely to give ppl a break on the toll roads?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #488
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I know the answer is most likely no, but are you more likely to give ppl a break on the toll roads?
I personally don't care about toll violators. The toll roads are a racket. Lol!
Appreciate 4
premier3is1628.00
Salty Dog3572.50
MKSixer34173.50
      01-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #489
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LMAO!
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #490
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Quote:
LMAO!
I thought he meant do you give people a break for speeding when they are on a toll road? Not whether they paid the toll? Did I misunderstand?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #491
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
LMAO!
I thought he meant do you give people a break for speeding when they are on a toll road? Not whether they paid the toll? Did I misunderstand?
Yea I meant for speeding. Sorry for confusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #492
suckbangblow
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Since you identify as a public figure, are you on social media?

I remember seeing lots of problems with officers posting on facebook. Just wondered if your department suggested not posting there for random reasons.

Also, are you looking forward to moving to a different department than where you are now? If so, where do you see yourself in 10-15 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #493
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
LMAO!
I thought he was referring to violators. With the added clarification, the toll road has no bearing on how I treat speeding. Attitude is everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckbangblow View Post
Since you identify as a public figure, are you on social media?

I remember seeing lots of problems with officers posting on facebook. Just wondered if your department suggested not posting there for random reasons.

Also, are you looking forward to moving to a different department than where you are now? If so, where do you see yourself in 10-15 years?
I have an Instagram, but otherwise I stay off of social media. There's nothing on my IG that depicts anything law enforcement related, and I don't even mention the department that I work for. Departments generally prefer or mandate that you don't present information on social media that relates to the department or its operations (...unless your account is used for work....e.g. PIO, recruitment, etc.). I'm pretty private, and while I may discuss certain things here, I have no interest in highlighting my profession on social media, and I just don't like people in my business; my IG is all cars, motorcycles, lifting and Capoeira.

As for your question....

....I just came to this department from another department a few years ago. I left due to ambitions of working narcotics or special victims; the latter more than the former. I will be out of line-level patrol in the next 4 years. In 10-15 years, I plan to be tucked off in the corner of the county somewhere working inside with an A-schedule (...Mon-Thurs or Fri with weekends off) or a flex schedule (...the ability to work as many or as few days as long as I work my required 40 hours).
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 12:36 AM   #494
premier3is
Major
Rep

When I was younger one time I was hanging out with a buddy of mines near an ocean viewpoint, and I guess you can't stand there past like 10pm or something. We didn't realize we couldn't be there past 10 and were just chillin, listening to music, talking and smoking cigarettes. (I quit smoking a few years ago tho )

Anyways, cop car suddenly shows up, shines a light on us from the back walks over and asks what we are doing. Seemed nice, just said hanging out. Told us it closes at 10pm we can't be here. Proceeds to ask us if we have anything on us... I said no. Asks for ID and then both cops ask us if we can be patted down. I was confused, we technically weren't doing anything wrong?

My question to you is, is this a legal search/pat down or whatever you want to call it? I let him since I didn't want any problems but what happens had I had said no?

Im genuinely curious about this and have wondered about it for many years.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #495
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
When I was younger one time I was hanging out with a buddy of mines near an ocean viewpoint, and I guess you can't stand there past like 10pm or something. We didn't realize we couldn't be there past 10 and were just chillin, listening to music, talking and smoking cigarettes. (I quit smoking a few years ago tho )

Anyways, cop car suddenly shows up, shines a light on us from the back walks over and asks what we are doing. Seemed nice, just said hanging out. Told us it closes at 10pm we can't be here. Proceeds to ask us if we have anything on us... I said no. Asks for ID and then both cops ask us if we can be patted down. I was confused, we technically weren't doing anything wrong?

My question to you is, is this a legal search/pat down or whatever you want to call it? I let him since I didn't want any problems but what happens had I had said no?

Technically the two of you were detained based on a violation of whatever municipal code (...and/or trespass violation) was committed regardless of intent, so the cop "asking" was just a diplomatic exercise. Case law permits pat downs and/or searches depending on the circumstances. Had you declined, the cop(s) would've done it anyway because they were well within the law and had the authority to do so.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #496
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Technically the two of you were detained based on a violation of whatever municipal code (...and/or trespass violation) was committed regardless of intent, so the cop "asking" was just a diplomatic exercise. Case law permits pat downs and/or searches depending on the circumstances.
Understood, and that's what I figured. I just wondered if a pat down was really necessary but I get it. Having a hoodie on with my hood up probably didn't help either lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:10 AM   #497
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Technically the two of you were detained based on a violation of whatever municipal code (...and/or trespass violation) was committed regardless of intent, so the cop "asking" was just a diplomatic exercise. Case law permits pat downs and/or searches depending on the circumstances.
Understood, and that's what I figured. I just wondered if a pat down was really necessary but I get it. Having a hoodie on with my hood up probably didn't help either lol.
Word of advice to those who like hoodies......

....take the hood off and take your hands out of your pockets when dealing with law enforcement. LOL!

I always pat down/search people with hoodies, especially since I can articulate bulging in clothing, an inability to see their waistline, etc.
Appreciate 3
premier3is1628.00
vreihen1615097.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #498
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Word of advice to those who like hoodies......

....take the hood off and take your hands out of your pockets when dealing with law enforcement. LOL!

I always pay down/search people with hoodies, especially since I can articulate bulging in clothing, an inability to see their waistline, etc.
Yes sir!! I agree, hands always out of pockets and hoodies off!!! Learned my lesson with the hoodie lol.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
Sedan_Clan24967.00
      01-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #499
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

What's your reaction at stopping a person for a short check, you're be able to see the hands, you ask if he/she wears some weapons and the answer is a yes? Do you stay calm?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #500
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
What's your reaction at stopping a person for a short check, you're be able to see the hands, you ask if he/she wears some weapons and the answer is a yes? Do you stay calm?
I'd like to think that police officers remain calm, it's part of the job and training. You need to always anticipate that any situation can turn violent/dynamic/dangerous. The response would be based on a number of observations and the officers experience. If you were working in a state that allowed CCW, then a weapon might not set off too many alarms, it depends on the weapon (say pepper spray or impact weapon vs firearm for example). Is the officer alone, is the client alone, is the officer confident in their ability, does the client appear to be someone who has trained to be a threat or do they look like someone who can be controlled. Are they compliant.

There are a lot of "depends" to your question. The hands are always the area of concern.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24967.00
      01-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #501
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Now afterwards Im thinking that my question was either way wrong posted here, caused by the fact that if Im asking an US cop I earn (righteous) a country related answer. I had basically in mind that not everybody is allowed to carry weapons (CCW or not) but nearly everybody is allowed to buy a gun. Into that scenario the risk of stopping an armed person is much more higher than into my country, where its much harder got get a) a license and b) a gun.
So, if you have to aware that every person could be armed, the pulse would get much lower if you're be able to see the hands, nevermind.

Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #502
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Now afterwards Im thinking that my question was either way wrong posted here, caused by the fact that if Im asking an US cop I earn (righteous) a country related answer. I had basically in mind that not everybody is allowed to carry weapons (CCW or not) but nearly everybody is allowed to buy a gun. Into that scenario the risk of stopping an armed person is much more higher than into my country, where its much harder got get a) a license and b) a gun.
So, if you have to aware that every person could be armed, the pulse would get much lower if you're be able to see the hands, nevermind.
The other thing to remember is that edged weapons in close proximity are arguably as big or bigger threat. There are a bunch of '70-'80's videos on the internet if you care to see some bad moustaches on coppers.....but their message is still valid.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24967.00
Dang3r12508.50
      01-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #503
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

So let me ask this. I *might* have just recently been pulled over on the highway. Rather than pull off to the side of the highway I took the next exit. Just to give the officer a little more room in a safer area. What I didn't realize until I committed to this strategy is that the next exit was about 2 miles away. Then when I pulled off there wasn't a good area so I drove almost another mile to pull into a gas station. Couldn't tell if he was annoyed or not.

What's the official preference here? I was actually going to ask the guy but he wasn't the talkative type.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #504
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
So let me ask this. I *might* have just recently been pulled over on the highway. Rather than pull off to the side of the highway I took the next exit. Just to give the officer a little more room in a safer area. What I didn't realize until I committed to this strategy is that the next exit was about 2 miles away. Then when I pulled off there wasn't a good area so I drove almost another mile to pull into a gas station. Couldn't tell if he was annoyed or not.

What's the official preference here? I was actually going to ask the guy but he wasn't the talkative type.
I personally preferred to be off the freeway and in a well lit situation. If the officer didn't get on the PA and direct you to pull over immediately, it's safe to assume that he/she was okay with you exiting.
Appreciate 4
pz6193277.00
vreihen1615097.00
Salty Dog3572.50
Rmtt8206.00
      01-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #505
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Quote:

I personally preferred to be off the freeway and in a well lit situation. If the officer didn't get on the PA and direct you to pull over immediately, it's safe to assume that he/she was okay with you exiting.
Ok that makes me feel better. Wasn't sure if he thought I was just committing to the slowest getaway possible, with a scenic tour of Del Mar.

Have the say, the man was quick though. Once we finally stopped I think the whole traffic stop took maybe 3 mins on the top end.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #506
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok that makes me feel better. Wasn't sure if he thought I was just committing to the slowest getaway possible, with a scenic tour of Del Mar.

Have the say, the man was quick though. Once we finally stopped I think the whole traffic stop took maybe 3 mins on the top end.
Citations are typically pre-filled to some extent (...officer's info, local court info, etc.), and he ran you for wants and warrants prior to the stop. All that was left for the officer to do was fill in your info, the violation info and ask you to sign the citation. It's all fairly quick when we want it to be.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
pz6193277.00