BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2024, 05:22 PM   #23
Boardmember
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
A little pointed, but I understand your reference. Meanwhile, we went to an event at my brother-in-law’s very nice cattle ranch house on Saturday, unpacked mile-long driveway, parked in a grassy pasture (as there were many there) and my body-on-frame Toyota handled it as well as the 3/4 ton Rams/1/2 ton F150s/etc. I live in a somewhat rural area. And while my X5 would have certainly handled that, the GX probably handled it a bit better. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10790.50
      04-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #24
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
No longer possible to do that since they no longer provide the wiring and you can't do any coding.
Oh! I see,...this sucks to the maximum! Thank you TB.
      04-30-2024, 02:29 PM   #25
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Anybody who has experience with towing will admit that X5 tows much better than ANY half ton truck on the market. Body on frame has NO advantage for towing vs. unibody. Body on frame is just an archaic product which is easy and cheap to manufacture.
No, I won't. My Ford Raptor is arguably the worst towing half-ton truck on the market and it still tows better than my mom-mobile X5.
      04-30-2024, 02:33 PM   #26
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Haha, there are a few options: you are trolling or you have not idea what does it mean a good towing experience or you do not know how properly connect X5 with a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
No, I won't. My Ford Raptor is arguably the worst towing half-ton truck on the market and it still tows better than my mom-mobile X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:34 PM   #27
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
My car was broken into twice in Georgia. Cops did not give a fuck about it there either. No cops care about petty theft and damage.
Depends where you live. These cops sure cared when they helped me recover my kid's stolen bicycle last year. Ended up shutting down a whole theft ring and the thief is now in prison because of how much stolen property and drugs they found him with.
Attached Images

04-30-2024, 02:40 PM   #28
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

I would challenge you to do two fingers driving with your Raptor and 33' trailer in a strong cross-wind and with fast semis, but I do not want to put you and others in danger.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:45 PM   #29
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
I would challenge you to do two fingers driving with your Raptor and 33' trailer in a strong cross-wind and with fast semis, but I do not want to put you and others in danger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPqp...channel=ArturP
That’s impressive
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:38 PM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

One thing that may be a factor in max towing weights between the USA and Europe is that in Europe, they have some quite restrictive maximum speed limits for vehicles when towing…the energy required to stop and the loads on the vehicle go up with the square of the speed…a little higher speed puts a much larger load on things than just being linear. It’s not unusual to see a vehicle in the USA going WAY over the max legal speed when towing something in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:46 PM   #31
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Let's not be selective with facts. Yes, in Europe typical speed limit for towing is 80 km/h (50 mph), which is similar to e.g. California where you can go 55 mph when towing. In some countries, you can tow 100 km/h if your trailer has electrical brakes. Yes, standard brakes in Europe are surge breaks, even on larger trailers.

Now, let's speculate a bit - what it more safe: going 50 mph with surge brakes and no weight distribution or going 60 mph with electric brakes and weight distribution?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:02 AM   #32
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't hook that 33' trailer to either vehicle--per the lightest 33' unit on the Jayco website, it weighs at least 6210 lbs dry, with a 710 lb tongue weight--it's overweight for my pickup so it's definitely over the GVWR of the X5. I'm also unaware of any 'two finger' rule that means anything WRT towing.

Anyway, it's sad that you joke about putting others in danger when you admit to:

1) driving an overloaded SUV on public roads
2) using a WDH hitch that's specifically not supported by BMW
3) taking a video while being passed by semi trucks on the highway

What would your insurance company say about any of that?
      05-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #33
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Haha, Sherlock, different MY have different specs. I can just tell you that I would not buy current MY trailer this size from Jayco, as it would be too heavy.

Let's focus on capabilities of your Raptor - would you dare to hitch up such a trailer? I wouldn't do it, if I were you, even if your the paper towing specs look OK.

This is the difference between obsolete technology used in trucks vs. German engineering. Not only size matters There are many, many things that affect how a vehicle tows. Short rear overhang is better than long rear overhang. Independent suspension is better than archaic live axle. Low center of gravity is better than higher center of gravity. Low profile tires are better than high profile tires. Do you see the pattern? If you don't, watch the video again and look how towing experience should look like.

People who have no clue about towing are freaking out is one spec is 100 lbs over. At the same time, people who have a real life experience may relax towing a 33' trailer with BMW X5 500+ miles per day.

Quote:
I wouldn't hook that 33' trailer to either vehicle--per the lightest 33' unit on the Jayco website, it weighs at least 6210 lbs dry, with a 710 lb tongue weight--it's overweight for my pickup so it's definitely over the GVWR of the X5. I'm also unaware of any 'two finger' rule that means anything WRT towing.

Anyway, it's sad that you joke about putting others in danger when you admit to:

1) driving an overloaded SUV on public roads
2) using a WDH hitch that's specifically not supported by BMW
3) taking a video while being passed by semi trucks on the highway

What would your insurance company say about any of that?
Appreciate 0