BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
scbang
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

2021 X5 45e Fuel Tank Flap

My Fuel Flap wouldn't open. First press of the button says Preparing for refueling but the msg last forever ( overnight ) then the second press says Fuel Tank System Fault. I pull the Emergency Open ( Green Button Pull ) but it did not open and second time it broke off. Is there any other way I can open the flap? I have very little gas left in there to make it even to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You can't make it to the closest dealership on electric?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
scbang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
You can't make it to the closest dealership on electric?
Barely, but they have no loaner or rental to give me. I have no other car to drive.
Can I pull a fuse or something to disable the gas fuel flap lock? What would happen if I pull the flap hard to open?
Looking at the electric charge flap, it does not look to cause very severe damage..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

There's a deadbolt. The cable is supposed to be connected to the shaft, and pull it back manually when the solonoid can't. I don't know if you can see if if you open the access panel on that side of the vehicle from the inside. If you can, you may be able to pull it back by hand or maybe with a tool. The same thing with the charging flap.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      03-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
scbang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
There's a deadbolt. The cable is supposed to be connected to the shaft, and pull it back manually when the solonoid can't. I don't know if you can see if if you open the access panel on that side of the vehicle from the inside. If you can, you may be able to pull it back by hand or maybe with a tool. The same thing with the charging flap.
Are you talking about the green button I broke ( Emergency open ) or something different?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbang View Post
Are you talking about the green button I broke ( Emergency open ) or something different?
The green thing is a handle to pull the deadbolt open. The user's manual says to pull that to release the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #7
scbang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The green thing is a handle to pull the deadbolt open. The user's manual says to pull that to release the door.
Yes and I pulled it twice and it did not work and broke.
Are there any other ways to disable the deadbolt when you say use a tool?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

You'd have to probably take the side trim panel off if you can't get to it by the smaller cover.

Is there a stub of metal the knob was attached to you could grab with some pliers?

I had an issue with my i3 way back, and it was because the cable was not routed properly and got pinched, so you couldn't use the emergency release on the charging cable latch.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Since your X5 is under warranty with road service coverage you could just get it towed/flat bedded to the dealer at zero cost by calling BMW road service.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

This brings back memories. I had this same issue with the 40e, where the electric release wouldn't always fully unlock the fuel door on occasion. I had to use the green pull per the video below.

There was a time when even the emergency release wouldn't work while on a long distance road trip, so I ended up having to MacGyver it by:

1) Pushing the fuel door back to its fully shut position,
2) While I was applying some force to keep the fuel door pushed in, I had someone hit the fuel door release button.
3) Let off the door right as it's being released release did the trick. I forget exactly what the steps are, but there's some luck in timing it right.

You'll definitely want to get that fixed by BMW, but I would advise you to avoid words like "broke" for simplicity's sake. Even though it's under warranty, broke can imply misuse on your part, when in reality, this is likely a flaw in design or assembly. (shouldn't require an emergency release to begin with, let alone one that is flimsy)

Personally, it's disappointing to hear that is still happening and BMW hasn't fully figured it out 6 years later, especially as I wait for my 45e.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
scbang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddoc View Post
Since your X5 is under warranty with road service coverage you could just get it towed/flat bedded to the dealer at zero cost by calling BMW road service.
Yes as I said I can get there, but I need a loaner/rental to conduct my regular business..Only if I can open the flap and get gas, I can wait for whatever days they need for the diagnose and/or parts. I just can not believe that there is no way to put gas in my such an expensive vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #12
scbang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
This brings back memories. I had this same issue with the 40e, where the electric release wouldn't always fully unlock the fuel door on occasion. I had to use the green pull per the video below.

There was a time when even the emergency release wouldn't work while on a long distance road trip, so I ended up having to MacGyver it by:

1) Pushing the fuel door back to its fully shut position,
2) While I was applying some force to keep the fuel door pushed in, I had someone hit the fuel door release button.
3) Let off the door right as it's being released release did the trick. I forget exactly what the steps are, but there's some luck in timing it right.

You'll definitely want to get that fixed by BMW, but I would advise you to avoid words like "broke" for simplicity's sake. Even though it's under warranty, broke can imply misuse on your part, when in reality, this is likely a flaw in design or assembly. (shouldn't require an emergency release to begin with, let alone one that is flimsy)

Personally, it's disappointing to hear that is still happening and BMW hasn't fully figured it out 6 years later, especially as I wait for my 45e.
Thanks for the info, I will try that trick but I do not hear any release or click sound when I press the button. It simply says "Preparing for refueling".
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Pressing the release button in the vehicle does a couple of things and the first one is dependent on the pressure sensor detecting that the pressure has actually been released which requires the venting valve to open. Until that happens, it won't enable opening the door, but the emergency release bypasses that pressure sensor switch and operates the latch directly. Now, it could be the sensor wiring, the sensor, and maybe the controlling computer sequencing routine. Maybe another thing as well.

As I said, on my i3, the locking pin was sticking and the solenoid couldn't always pull it out to be able to open the door (there was a repair procedure to resolve that and it didn't happen again). The emergency release cable was not routed properly, and it broke when I tried to pull it since it was pinched/kinked. That isn't something that's likely checked by the factory or dealership. Maybe it should be, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #14
scbang
Rep

OK so finally my car is in the service and they say an animal chewed off electric wire that opens fuel flap so it's not covered by warranty. I argued at least the emergency pull should be covered because it did not work as designed but they are saying it all started with an animal so it's not covered. I can not believe one chewed off wire and emergency pull ( one thin blue plastic wire) is costing $1800 and minimum 3 days of wait time for parts. It's so big $$ now I have to call the insurance.. Oh Boy..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #15
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Any pictures of the chewed up wires?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #16
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I'm beginning to believe these are city cars for city people...

Our fuel door just stuck hundreds of miles from any dealer, at a gas station with no cell or internet service. Wildly unimpressed with this thing.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #17
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
I'm beginning to believe these are city cars for city people...

Our fuel door just stuck hundreds of miles from any dealer, at a gas station with no cell or internet service. Wildly unimpressed with this thing.

Mark
It is entirely un-necessary. what is wrong with typical BMW flap?? This remind me tesla fancy charge flap. When I had 85D, that thing will get stuck in cold winter night. CA cannot be that cold at all, and I used to go out for charging at 11pm. It is OK to be fancy, but please make it reliable.
      09-05-2023, 08:36 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Even 'regular' BMWs have a deadbolt on their fuel filler doors. Because the fuel tank on the PHEV ends up pressurized, there's another interlock that requires it to sense the pressure is bled off before it will activate the deadbolt, but the deadbolt is likely identical to the ones on the ICE versions...it's just that it's tied to the central locking system rather than the switch and pressure sensor on the PHEVs.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:47 PM   #19
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

What gasoline tank is not pressurized to some degree, depending on temperature and fill level? I don't need the car's "help" to open the fuel cap.

I need to look at this thing and see if I can just lock the deadbolt back.

Mark
2001 PSD Excursion - The slave that drags the queen
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      09-05-2023, 11:28 PM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
What gasoline tank is not pressurized to some degree, depending on temperature and fill level? I don't need the car's "help" to open the fuel cap.

I need to look at this thing and see if I can just lock the deadbolt back.

Mark
all car's gasoline tank is pressured. Otherwise, garage, undergaround parking, any enclose parking, will be huge hazard. If there is a vacuum leak in gas tank, a check engine light will come on.