BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2023, 09:05 AM   #1
fwshaw
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 X5 Change Drivers

I'm sure this has been answered here before. But, would very much appreciate some help.

My wife and I each have key fobs programmed with individuals profiles.

When she get in the passengers seat (with her fob) the car adjusts to her profile setting.

Then I walk around the car to the driver's side (with my fob) the car seat and settings are set to her profile. How do I get the car to reconfigure to my profile settings; i.e., read my fob's profile settings?

Thanks for your wisdom and insights.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwshaw View Post
I'm sure this has been answered here before. But, would very much appreciate some help.

When she get in the passengers seat (with her fob) the car adjusts to her profile setting.

Then I walk around the car to the driver's side (with my fob) the car seat and settings are set to her profile. How do I get the car to reconfigure to my profile settings; i.e., read my fob's profile settings?

The simplest way is for the car to recognize you first. We had the same issue.
- She stays out of range till the car sees your key.
- If we're just driving around town, she doesn't take her key with her.
- On trips, she puts her key in a faraday pouch so the car doesn't recognize it. A Faraday pouch will also prevent her key from transmitting and being detected by a relay theft. I also put mine in a pouch when we park the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwshaw View Post

as mentioned, let the vehicle recognize your key first. either you enter the vehicle first or place your fob inside the cabin before she gets in

on my 2021 45e, we noticed this issue and used to do the above or use a faraday pouch for the unused fob, but we very rarely have this issue now because I found that holding the driver door handle for about 3-4 seconds before opening the door will recognize my fob then switch to my driver profile. additionally, I don’t let go until I see the ambient LED change to my color and my seat begins to move into position
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 11:19 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I found that holding the driver door handle long enough before opening the door will recognize my fob (about 3-4 seconds) then switch to my driver profile. additionally, I don’t let go until I see the ambient LED change to my color and my seat begins to move into position
Interesting.. .. I'm going to have to try your technique! Thanks for posting that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
as mentioned, let the vehicle recognize your key first. either you enter the vehicle first or place your fob inside the cabin before she gets in

on my 2021 45e, we noticed this issue and used to do the above or use a faraday pouch for the unused fob, but we very rarely have this issue now because I found that holding the driver door handle long enough before opening the door will recognize my fob (about 3-4 seconds) then switch to my driver profile. additionally, I don’t let go until I see the ambient LED change to my color and my seat begins to move into position
I just happened across this the other day. We usually just try to make sure I unlock the vehicle if I'm driving. If we're both arriving at the passenger side, I just open the door for her before walking around to the driver side. Other times when my wife has gotten in first and it's set to her profile, I've just locked and then unlocked the car from the driver's door handle. It then switches even though her key is inside.
      10-25-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I just happened across this the other day. We usually just try to make sure I unlock the vehicle if I'm driving. If we're both arriving at the passenger side, I just open the door for her before walking around to the driver side. Other times when my wife has gotten in first and it's set to her profile, I've just locked and then unlocked the car from the driver's door handle. It then switches even though her key is inside.
yea that works too, but i found it doesn’t consistently switch driver profiles even after several attempts at locking/unlocking compared to holding the handle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #7
fwshaw
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Damn!!! The touch the door handles for 4 or 5 seconds recommendation has worked for me (for my wife and me) 5 or 6 times today.

nZtiZia - Thank you very much for taking time to share this information. You've solved a nagging problem for us. Thank you, very very much. I knew about the Faraday pouch solution, but my wife did want any more "stuff to manage in her purse just to ride in the car."

I also tested the "lock and unlock" option. That's a functional solution that I'll keep as a back-up if needed.

Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate you taking to read and reply.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      10-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Your iDrive display doesn't ask if you want to switch profiles? Ours does every time my wife gets in the car first. We didn't set it up that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Your iDrive display doesn't ask if you want to switch profiles? Ours does every time my wife gets in the car first. We didn't set it up that way.
I’ve never seen that message pop up automatically, only when I manually select the driver profile icon up top then select a different profile. please share what “set up” you are referring to as I’m not aware of any setting
Appreciate 0