BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

2020 M50i - Need Pads/Rotors are these Part #s Correct?

Hello all,

I'm at 33,000 miles and had rear brake service light come on and bad squealing from brakes when lightly braking and coming to a stop...no noise a few weeks ago, but now it's always present.

Went to an indy and they said I have 3mm on fronts and rear, and need rotors as well... They quoted me $3,500.

I'm also curious if I could purchase extended maintenance plan that would cover all this? My original maintenance is expired...so not sure if it's an option.

I'd like to purchase a brake kit from FCP so I get lifetime replacement, but doesn't seem they have what I need? Does any other lifetime replacement site have an OEM brake kit for these? I can't for the life of me seem to find WHAT part numbers I actually need. I have a shop that will do it for $200 labor, would much prefer that with my lifetime replacement brake parts I purchase myself...

I typically stick with OEM parts, but if Zimmerman etc offers the same thing (especially on rotors) I'm not against saving some money there if you have recommendations.

Below is a part list I put together on getbmwparts. Correct part numbers? Not sure which is correct for rear brake pads.

I have to think this shouldn't be so hard, and I'm surprised sites don't have ready to go brake kits for an M50i...

picture upload website

2020 X5 M50i Mineral White / Full Coffee Merino
DHP, DAP, Executive, B&W, Night Vision

Last edited by ef11; 12-22-2023 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
beattiecj127.50
      12-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Don't take this the wrong way... But that's a rip off.

You can buy those parts for 25-50% those.prices on rock auto. Maybe not the same brand, but high quality replacements like powerstop z23.

That's the route I'm gonna go when I do my brakes at some point. I've been very happy with powerstop pads on multiple other cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
ef11
Captain
Rep

Dynamic Friction seems to be the primary brand available on Rock Auto.

They do seem to have a kit that works for the M50i though...for dirt cheap. So cheap it almost concerns me...

Main reason I posted the picture is I was trying to verify if those were the correct part numbers for the M50i.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...BYKb0ACQlx5hXq

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 05:39 PM   #4
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
They're just rotors. They are big pieces of steel. There's nothing fancy, and no reason for them to be that expensive. That said, there's a clear design difference that explains some price difference. All of the rockauto ones are fully cast steel. The OEMs are cast steel rings with aluminum rotor hats (likely for weight reduction). Basically a quasi 2 piece rotor. So you'll pick up a bit of unsprung weight.

When I have to get new brakes I'm gonna do performance friction rotors, and powerstop z23 pads.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      01-01-2024, 09:49 AM   #5
ef11
Captain
Rep

I'm still mainly trying to confirm the correct part numbers...

These Zimmerman Formula F rotors show to be Z Coated 2 piece Aluminum Hub to match OE. Which sounds like a good option. Still just not positive these are the correct PN.

I guess most people just get this done at the dealer or Indy but both quoted me $3,500 which seems steeeeep.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:52 AM   #6
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
The PN from the Zimmerman website is 150.2962.32 and 150.2963.32 for the fronts with aluminum hubs. That doesn't match up with the part numbers shown in your screenshot at all.

Will FCP Euro take them back if they're wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 01:37 PM   #7
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

What size rotors do you need? I'm selling my like new rotors- 395x36, 398x28 rears. I'm selling with pads for 1k, all off my m850.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 01:48 PM   #8
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The PN from the Zimmerman website is 150.2962.32 and 150.2963.32 for the fronts with aluminum hubs. That doesn't match up with the part numbers shown in your screenshot at all.

Will FCP Euro take them back if they're wrong?
Well I think my screenshot is showing the BMW part number. The Zimmerman website is showing their part number.

I have no idea if the M850 rotors/pads would fit my M50i and not sure how to figure that out.

I just can't believe FCP etc doesn't have a replacement brake kit for this car, and with the age of it being available I would think many many people would have been in the same situation I am in.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:05 PM   #9
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef11 View Post
Well I think my screenshot is showing the BMW part number. The Zimmerman website is showing their part number.

I have no idea if the M850 rotors/pads would fit my M50i and not sure how to figure that out.

I just can't believe FCP etc doesn't have a replacement brake kit for this car, and with the age of it being available I would think many many people would have been in the same situation I am in.
Have been wondering this myself, and an oil change kit. Might not hurt to call and ask them to confirm the part numbers. About to be in the same position as you. Let us know how it works out.
Think the m50i brakes are used on several different bmw models so have a hunch the x3m rotors might be the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:50 PM   #10
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ef11 View Post

This package is only like 3-4 years old? Im not surprised there's not kits out, probably not very many people putting on enough miles to need replacement rotors. Rotors usually last 100k miles or more unless you're REALLY hard on brakes in stop and go traffic only.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:36 AM   #11
ef11
Captain
Rep

Gave my local dealership a call this morning, they were wide open with availability and had loaners (got an X3 M40i...thing is pretty quick! but even in sport plus, the steering is much more disconnected feeling than my M50i)

They said as long as I'm not getting serious vibration when braking, the rotors don't need to be replaced, so hopefully that is true.

They quoted me the below prices (cheaper than the indy):

Pads only: Front $794 Rear $585 = $1,379 (seems ridiculous for pads)

Pads & Rotors: Front $1,580 Rear $1,346 = $2,926

If they confirm I only need pads, I'll consider the $1,379 as a huge savings vs the $3,500 the indy quoted me saying I had to do rotors too and just roll with it.

I'll try to get all part numbers and post that so you all have that info for pads/rotors etc.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:47 AM   #12
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I went back to the original post and saw you said you only had 33k on it.

The Indy was ripping you off. They saw you come in with a new higher end SUV and saw a jackpot. You don't need rotors. Is your brake wear sensor lit? You might not even need pads. If they told you that you needed rotors at 33k, I'd question their pad measurements too.

What made you think you needed brakes from the get go?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:05 AM   #13
zippytank49
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7, 2018 BMW 540i

Welcome to the "fun" of replacing brakes on a recent BMW X5/X7. I just replaced (myself) all pads and rotors (and sensors) on my wife's 2021 X7 (appx. 35k miles) with the blue calipers (m-sport). It was a not easy to find the parts. It was relatively easy to do the job. (If you have done brake jobs in the past) The easiest way is to take it to the dealer, where they will charge you a pretty penny for the convenience.

I believe your M50i has the same specs as my X7 with blue calipers, but in general the original equipment is Brembo rotors and BMW-brand brake pads. The experience I had was that the BMW dealer websites sell the BMW pads and you have to go to a third party to buy the Brembo rotors. It was very difficult to figure out the correct part numbers because they have changed over the years. Pain in the rear, but they must have decided to do this to make it harder for the DIYers like myself.

GL and if you are gonna go DIY let me know if you need any more info?!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:13 AM   #14
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I went back to the original post and saw you said you only had 33k on it.

The Indy was ripping you off. They saw you come in with a new higher end SUV and saw a jackpot. You don't need rotors. Is your brake wear sensor lit? You might not even need pads. If they told you that you needed rotors at 33k, I'd question their pad measurements too.

What made you think you needed brakes from the get go?
Well, I've owned it for 3 years now and the brakes never made noise winter or summer, for the past 3 months the fronts (it seems) have been squealing when coming to a stop. Then about a month ago the rear brake pad sensor went off in the screen saying they needed to be replaced in a few hundred miles.

So I DO believe I need pads...rotors hopefully not.

Zippy,

Thanks for the info! Yes, seems ridiculous to try to get these parts...I won't DIY it or have a friend do it that does his GM brakes (brakes are quite important, I like the peace of mind of knowing they are done perfectly ha)

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:43 AM   #15
espresso0
Rep

I just changed my pads and rotors for my 2020 m50i.

I got power stop pads and rotors from dynamic friction (all from rock auto).

Everything came quickly, pads also come with lube.

Only thing I can say is, have a friend with some brake change experience so you don’t take 2 days like me. Also your gonna need a piston retractor tool for the rear pads even if you use bimmer link to retract the e brake.

So far the power stops have next to zero brake dust but don’t bite as hard. If you want a better bite similar to OEM maybe a diff brand on rock auto would work better. But for the price of the z23’s, I wouldn’t complain.

I was also at 3mm pads a few months ago, probably less when I changed my brakes. At 3mm you could probably pull another few months in

I also got quoted around 3-4k CAD from indies and dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #16
zippytank49
Rep

If you are going to go the professional route, I'd recommend the dealer. But I'd also recommend replacing the rotors as well. Might not need to with the sedans, but these heavy SUVs wear down the rotors much faster. You will probably hear the same from the SA...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:00 AM   #17
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso0 View Post
I just changed my pads and rotors for my 2020 m50i.

I got power stop pads and rotors from dynamic friction (all from rock auto).

Everything came quickly, pads also come with lube.

Only thing I can say is, have a friend with some brake change experience so you don’t take 2 days like me. Also your gonna need a piston retractor tool for the rear pads even if you use bimmer link to retract the e brake.

So far the power stops have next to zero brake dust but don’t bite as hard. If you want a better bite similar to OEM maybe a diff brand on rock auto would work better. But for the price of the z23’s, I wouldn’t complain.

I was also at 3mm pads a few months ago, probably less when I changed my brakes. At 3mm you could probably pull another few months in

I also got quoted around 3-4k CAD from indies and dealers.
Thanks for providing this feedback.

Can you confirm the actual part numbers you ordered? Maybe a picture of your order? Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:08 AM   #18
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippytank49 View Post
If you are going to go the professional route, I'd recommend the dealer. But I'd also recommend replacing the rotors as well. Might not need to with the sedans, but these heavy SUVs wear down the rotors much faster. You will probably hear the same from the SA...
The rotors on these are HUGE, anyone telling you that your rotors could be wore out in 33k miles is trying to rip you off. Trucks that pull trailers and haul heavy loads have smaller rotors than these X5s and don't need rotors until like 100k. There's no reason to do pads and rotors at under 50k miles unless you have personally verified the rotor thickness is under spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:18 AM   #19
espresso0
Rep

Attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:20 AM   #20
zippytank49
Rep

Quote:
The rotors on these are HUGE, anyone telling you that your rotors could be wore out in 33k miles is trying to rip you off. Trucks that pull trailers and haul heavy loads have smaller rotors than these X5s and don't need rotors until like 100k. There's no reason to do pads and rotors at under 50k miles unless you have personally verified the rotor thickness is under spec.
You are correct, the rotors are HUGE!! However, these are BMWs, and their performance is also huge. My rotors (m-sport blue calipers) developed a significant lip after about 35k miles-especially the fronts. I will add my wife does drive and brake hard, in lots of stop and go traffic (and we have the heavier X7), so factor those in.

You could probably get away with keeping the rotors ONLY if you get the exact same replacement pads to fit between the top and bottom lips. I also DIYed it, so I saved the labor cost and put it into new rotors. I probably could have reused the rears, but definitely not the fronts.

I recommended the dealer to EF11 because they have standards from BMW that they must follow, so in my opinion are more trustworthy with their diagnoses-cuz I have a feeling they are going to say the rotors need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #21
espresso0
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso0 View Post
Attached
Should also note the following here. BMW recommends to change rotors and pads at the same time, I think for the most part you can get 2 pads life cycle through 1 rotor. However, these oem semi metallics chew threw the rotors.

Rock auto is relatively inexpensive - I’d reccomend just getting everything.

I wouldn’t be too pressed about going to bmw to install everything.. its changing brakes and there’s tons of resources for these g chassis vehicle. Just call around n find a cheap install price, it would be around 2-3 hours of labour.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #22
ef11
Captain
Rep

Update - Dealer says I just need rear pads. The rotors are all fine.

They also send videos now apparently which is pretty cool! Link below.

Espresso - thanks for the picture, I have saved it for future reference.

My Bowers & Wilkins speakers in the rear rattle and distort at high volumes on SO many songs. I sit in the car with the service advisors (multiple) and they say "yeah, it sounds terrible" but they never can get BMW to cover replacement speakers...if anyone has advice on this topic let me know ha.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/srsvideos/d...f806f08070.mp4

Appreciate 0