01-02-2024, 12:46 PM   #23
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippytank49 View Post
You are correct, the rotors are HUGE!! However, these are BMWs, and their performance is also huge. My rotors (m-sport blue calipers) developed a significant lip after about 35k miles-especially the fronts. I will add my wife does drive and brake hard, in lots of stop and go traffic (and we have the heavier X7), so factor those in.

You could probably get away with keeping the rotors ONLY if you get the exact same replacement pads to fit between the top and bottom lips. I also DIYed it, so I saved the labor cost and put it into new rotors. I probably could have reused the rears, but definitely not the fronts.

I recommended the dealer to EF11 because they have standards from BMW that they must follow, so in my opinion are more trustworthy with their diagnoses-cuz I have a feeling they are going to say the rotors need to be replaced.
The lip doesn't matter, and in fact is a great way to ballpark your wear (you should always use rotor thickness for steel.rotors, or weight for carbon discs). When your rotors get turned, they'll machine that lip off, and even if they don't, it won't hurt anything because it's outside the swept area.

Brake pad replacements in like, 98% of cases are copies of the OEM.pad dimensions. You're not going to have a pad that suddenly has new swept area vs OEM.

If you wanna do rotors to get a different style or just to complete, go for it. But it's certainly not going to be "needed" at 30 something thousand miles.
Appreciate 0