BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

iPhone overheating during long drive

I recently took a 10 hour drive, stopping for gas about half way. Shortly before stopping, my Nav screen went blank. I was using Waze for navigation. Reaching down to my iPhone on the charger, I found that it was very hot. Picking it up showed that it was overheating and shut down. After I turned it off and let it cool down, it started working again.
Anyone else experience this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Yes. It's a problem with wireless charging on many vehicles, not just BMW. Try to keep the phone centered and make sure it has the blue light on versus orange. You may also want to remove the case for long trips or try a magsafe case that optimizes the charging coil contact.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Yes. It's a problem with wireless charging on many vehicles, not just BMW. Try to keep the phone centered and make sure it has the blue light on versus orange. You may also want to remove the case for long trips or try a magsafe case that optimizes the charging coil contact.
Thanks. I do have blue LED light and have an Apple magsafe leather case. I'll try it without the case next time and keep feeling how warm it gets. If getting warm, I'll just stick it in the cup holder and plug in if it needs charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #4
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Yes, this is an issue that I also learned my first road trip two years ago. I quit using the wireless charging because of that and went back to cable on long trips. My next BMW I'm hoping there's an option to remove wireless charging because I don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 06:37 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
Yes, this is an issue that I also learned my first road trip two years ago. I quit using the wireless charging because of that and went back to cable on long trips. My next BMW I'm hoping there's an option to remove wireless charging because I don't need it.
I just ordered a 530e where the wireless charger is a separate option.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
I just ordered a 530e where the wireless charger is a separate option.
That's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
hotvee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50i

Have the same issue. I just charge my phone via cable during long trips. To avoid wireless charging, I put the phone face down to wireless tray. Unfortunately, this option is useless in X5 even for short trips - charging is too slow. I wish the CarPlay would also have cable compatibility as well (not just wireless), as there are places where the CarPlay connection interrupts due to Wi-Fi jamming.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you just want to charge the phone, the wireless charging is adequate, but it cannot keep up with a heavy use if you're using the phone's navigation or music which will have constant high processing loads. Keep in mind that when in that charging pad, it is also connected to the LTE booster that connects with the antenna on the roof, which means the phone doesn't need to use as much broadcasting power, and is more likely to remain connected in a weak signal area...so, just plugging it in to maintain power has its disadvantages, too.
Appreciate 1
lexttu61.00
      10-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
Apex Missing Ape
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e; 2019 M550i

I had the same issue on an other BMW I own so when I ordered my 45e I skipped the wireless charging. The best solution I’ve seen so far was in my GMC pickup. The wireless charging pad was cooled by the AC. I felt like an AC line was ran underneath pad and it didn’t rely on air actively blowing on it.
Appreciate 0