10-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #1
miloplays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
45e charging/different key question

Recently purchased my 45e. I noticed today if I use a different key to lock/unlock my car, the "charging plan" I set up in myBMW app isn't followed. I've set it to charge during a certain time (lower rate), but as soon as I plug in, it's starts charging. When I go back to my main key, it follows the plan.

Why wouldn't the charging period follow the plan I've set up regardless of the key I use? Do I have to go back into the car and change a setting?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The vehicle is 'driven' by parameters in your profile, which is tied to a key fob. I didn't realize that parameter was part of your profile, but it seems so. When entering the vehicle, you can choose a different profile, and, if you are really the only driver, configure that other fob to your desired profile information so it's automatic.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #3
miloplays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The vehicle is 'driven' by parameters in your profile, which is tied to a key fob. I didn't realize that parameter was part of your profile, but it seems so. When entering the vehicle, you can choose a different profile, and, if you are really the only driver, configure that other fob to your desired profile information so it's automatic.
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to "mirror" the setting from my first key fob or do I need to individually configure all of the parameters?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:32 AM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think this will work, but I'm not positive it will let two fobs get assigned to the same profile, but I know it will let you swap your profile to a new fob.
Selecting recognition
1. "CAR"
2. "Driver profiles"
3. Move the Controller to the right.
As an alternative for Steps 1 to 3, the profile
image can be tapped in the top status bar.
4. "Driver recognition"
5. Select the desired setting:
▷ "with vehicle key"
The vehicle key that is recognized in the
car's interior is assigned to the driver profile.
If multiple vehicle keys are detected,
the unintended vehicle keys must be removed
from the car’s interior.
▷ "With Digital Key"
The digital key that is recognized in the
car's interior is assigned to the driver profile.
If multiple digital keys are detected,
the unintended digital keys must be removed
from the car’s interior.
6. "Activate linkage"
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Frenchie45e
Registered
Rep
Drives: XC90

Hi everyone, new here with a X5 45e soon to arrive, this month hopefully.
I’ve been reading a lot on this forum which is the best I found so far and got answers to my multiple questions so far.

One question though that remained partly unanswered so far is about charging patterns. I read everywhere that folks do mostly charging cycles of 0% to 100% or close to that. But I read on a website a test showing that it’s actually the worst one can do for battery life. I do not have this test results at hand now but can post it later if anyone is interested.

Basically to maximise battery life the advise is to try and use the battery between 20% and 70% meaning not charging beyond 70% and not depleting it below 20%.
Doing so would somehow allow 12 times charging cycles than “worst” case scenario 0-100-0-100 pattern.

Of course that would be limiting the useable capacity of the battery to only 50% of its total capacity, which might not be convenient for everyone and every use case, but for someone like me who plan to keep my 45e at least 4 years, it may make a difference.

Anyway, the actual question is whether this battery life “saver” pattern is already somehow managed by the charging software, which might be why some in another thread can “extend” the electric range by possibly removing these limitations, or whether I should set such a pattern myself in the BMW app.

I will appreciate any input on this and please forgive any typos or worse (at least you do not hear my accent ;-) here ), or any duplication if this question was raised by someone else (I did not find any so far).

As for car history we had a 2013 BMW 530 D touring for 6 years, a lovely car on every aspect, engine comfort, everything, then went for a 7 seater Volvo XC90 cause of our 3rd kid which my wife will keep (the car) or not, but I am now buying my dream car for many years, no matter what: a 6 cyl X5 ! And the hybrid version is the cherry on the cake, so 45e !

Thank you everyone.
And please let me know if it is forbidden to include content (URL or screenshots) from some other website. If not I will add either or both about the test I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Jrg3170
Private
Rep

You're located in Austria? The answer is different for you then.

Here in the US, BMW already takes care of this by limiting the battery to only 17 of the total 24kwh available. I've wondered where BMW keeps this spare 30% capacity… is it 15/15, or more on the floor end. Perhaps someone here knows.

In EU, you'll have access to more of the battery. 21 out of 24 I believe. It is best practice not to deplete the battery all the way, just as it's also best practice not to charge all the way to 100%.

If you're very concerned about battery longevity, I suppose you could use a combination of battery control to limit discharge and a smart charger to limit charge sessions. As far as I know there is no way to set a limit to the upper bound of the charge amount via the vehicle, as can be done with most BEVs. But a smart charger could manage this.

This is definitely overthinking it though. I guess you could always code the battery control to US spec! Ha!

Presumably BMW has already programmed the vehicle to handle driving the battery down to 0km - it is a hybrid after all. And in general it seems most PHEV/BEV batteries are degrading less quickly than manufacturers had initially (and conservatively) projected.

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just drive and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Frenchie45e
what you've read mainly pertains to fully electric vehicles. the 45e does not use all of its 24kWh battery capacity, so when you charge to 100%, it's not really to 100%.

U.S. and Canada is 71% (17.1 of 24kWh)
Everywhere else is 90% (21.6 of 24kWh)

just plug in and charge. because of this 'buffer,' there is no need to limit the amount of charge for fear of too many 0-100 charge cycles in your operational lifetime. accordingly, you can't limit the amount of charge via iDrive or the app. If you really wanted to, you'll need a smarter charger, but again that's unnecessary in the 45e

the battery "extension" is a battery modification. so far, only U.S. or Canada-based have modified to the EU spec capacity. A couple guys tried full 24kWh, but the vehicle threw errors. as such, nobody with EU-spec capacity modified to 24kWh likely due to no need, but it'll likely throw errors if they tried. many initially thought BMW couldn't see the modification, but i proved they can through vehicle telematics, so an HV battery claim under warranty may be at risk
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Frenchie45e
Registered
Rep
Drives: XC90

Great. Thank you both. I will just do as you both advise: Enjoy !
Merci.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Batteries we have today wear out on the number of cycles...a real 0-100% is one cycle. Ten charges from 90-100% is one cycle. BMW limits things by never letting you use the full amount of the battery, so it never sees a 'real' 0-100% charge. Given the battery warranty, and how most people drive and keep their vehicle, personally, I don't worry about it. Plug it in when you get home or can easily elsewhere, and don't look back. SS batteries should have more cycles before they wear out. We're not there yet, some might start to show up in the next couple of years, but we're a ways from general availability.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2022, 01:41 AM   #10
Akh000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 PHEV

Hi,
may be somebody can explain how to code (modify) US G05 PHEV to increase useful capacity from 17ah to 21 ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akh000 View Post
Hi,
may be somebody can explain how to code (modify) US G05 PHEV to increase useful capacity from 17ah to 21 ?
you can't code it yourself. TLDR, you run the risk of voiding the HV battery warranty.
45e Mission Range Extender https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1882178
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 03:23 AM   #12
Akh000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you can't code it yourself. TLDR, you run the risk of voiding the HV battery warranty.
45e Mission Range Extender https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1882178
i think it is possible to do this without 500usd. will report in other topic.
Appreciate 0