11-07-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

Headlight tracking after accident repair

Hello,

My X5 has Option 552 - Adaptive Headlights and 5AC - Automatic High Beam Headlight Control.

I had an accident a few months ago ... clown ran a red light and I T-boned him. I've just got the car back. First night drive I notice 2 things:

1. Headlight position seems different to original - see pic attached.

2. Driver's side headlight isn't tracking when I turn the wheel. Passenger side is tracking left, but driver side isn't tracking. Note: in Australia we drive on the left side of the road in R H drive vehicles.

Before I go back to the repairer, I'm wanting to verify how the headlights should function. Isn't the driver's side headlight also supposed to track as you turn the steering wheel?

Do you think my headlights are out of alignment based on the pic supplied?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Don Cannelloni
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMWX5 45e 2022, BMW330e 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Hello,

My X5 has Option 552 - Adaptive Headlights and 5AC - Automatic High Beam Headlight Control.

I had an accident a few months ago ... clown ran a red light and I T-boned him. I've just got the car back. First night drive I notice 2 things:

1. Headlight position seems different to original - see pic attached.

2. Driver's side headlight isn't tracking when I turn the wheel. Passenger side is tracking left, but driver side isn't tracking. Note: in Australia we drive on the left side of the road in R H drive vehicles.

Before I go back to the repairer, I'm wanting to verify how the headlights should function. Isn't the driver's side headlight also supposed to track as you turn the steering wheel?

Do you think my headlights are out of alignment based on the pic supplied?

Hi, just got a chance to check on mine (also RHD) and both driver and passenger side lights move/track with the movement of the steering wheel. Also note - mine are LED's (adaptive and anti dazzle) not laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cannelloni View Post
Hi, just got a chance to check on mine (also RHD) and both driver and passenger side lights move/track with the movement of the steering wheel. Also note - mine are LED's (adaptive and anti dazzle) not laser lights.
Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. Mine are adaptive and anti dazzle as well. They are tracking left when I turn the wheel to the left. When I set the wheels straight the tracking returns to the centre. When I turn the wheels right the tracking does NOT follow to the right. I was wondering if this is correct.

I've caught up with another X5 G05 owner in my office building and compared the 2 cars. Hers is not tracking right either. I guess its a safety thing - maybe required in Australia.

Thanks again for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 02:49 AM   #4
Don Cannelloni
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMWX5 45e 2022, BMW330e 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. Mine are adaptive and anti dazzle as well. They are tracking left when I turn the wheel to the left. When I set the wheels straight the tracking returns to the centre. When I turn the wheels right the tracking does NOT follow to the right. I was wondering if this is correct.

I've caught up with another X5 G05 owner in my office building and compared the 2 cars. Hers is not tracking right either. I guess its a safety thing - maybe required in Australia.

Thanks again for your time.

Apologies, I thought the issue was that one light was tracking and the other wasn't. To clarify, both of my lights track to the left with steering input and then return to the center but they do not track to the right at all.
I can only think they would potentially dazzle oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0