E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Car unlock problem

03-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Car unlock problem

Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this section of the forum.. lol

Anyway... my situation is this:

When I first had my car for the first 2 months, my range of unlocking my car with my remote (non-comfort access) was at least 20-25 feet. It was just a couple days ago that I noticed that my car wouldn't even unlock until I was literally ~2 feet away. I pointed in every direction, aimed through every side, and even at a range of 10 feet, my car wouldn't unlock until i was ~2 feet away. Is there something wrong with my remote battery? Or some sort of malfunction? I dunno

Is anyone else actually having this problem too?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this section of the forum.. lol

Anyway... my situation is this:

When I first had my car for the first 2 months, my range of unlocking my car with my remote (non-comfort access) was at least 20-25 feet. It was just a couple days ago that I noticed that my car wouldn't even unlock until I was literally ~2 feet away. I pointed in every direction, aimed through every side, and even at a range of 10 feet, my car wouldn't unlock until i was ~2 feet away. Is there something wrong with my remote battery? Or some sort of malfunction? I dunno

Is anyone else actually having this problem too?
A few thoughts come to mind:
  1. How long of a drive do you normally take? With the key being charged via induction (non-CA) it may not be getting fully charged between uses.
  2. The key may be faulty.
  3. During the day, when you're away from the car, you may have the key in your pocket with something pushed up against one of the buttons. It would be out of range of the car so wouldn't lock/unlock/open trunk but the key is still transmitting and using power in the process.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

Window tint can also affect the range
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
A few thoughts come to mind:
  1. How long of a drive do you normally take? With the key being charged via induction (non-CA) it may not be getting fully charged between uses.
  2. The key may be faulty.
  3. During the day, when you're away from the car, you may have the key in your pocket with something pushed up against one of the buttons. It would be out of range of the car so wouldn't lock/unlock/open trunk but the key is still transmitting and using power in the process.
Those all seem like a likely possibility. I mean, when I'm in class, my keys are in my backpack with mucho stuff in it o_O;; The key MAY be faulty.. That was my first thought. And as for my driving, my drives range from 15 minute to hours. lol. Usually monday through thursdays i drive only 15 minutes going to school and 15 minutes coming back because I don't go out a lot on those days.

Ohh, and the tint thing.. That seems very very very logical because I got my tint not so long ago and I believe since then my remote "probleM" was like that.. But does the tint affect it THAT much??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

Yes, i have seen instances of tint affecting remote range like this. I dont know if its the type of tint, metallic/ceramic, i'm not sure, sometimes it does affect it, sometimes it doesnt.....

Need some more input from others in this forum about this: whether tinting affected their remote range and what kind of tint it was.
Appreciate 0