BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2022, 10:29 PM   #67
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Remember, there's exponentially more nuclear waste than nuclear fuel. The two terms are often used interchangeably, but everything from coolant to pipes to fasteners in the primary loop and just the containers that these are put in are all waste and nuclear reactions accelerate corrosion in this loop, not to mention that corrosion failures are unacceptable and parts are replaced at service intervals, so you have a significant amount of waste above just spent fuel rods. Luckily the half life on some is a lot less than the thousands of years of fuel rods, but even still, it's contaminated and has to be contained.

Not unmanageable, pointed out that even by pounds, nuclear waste is a lot less than the C02 that a coal plant puts into the atmosphere for the same MW, but the point is everything is nuanced, all these parts and pieces don't make themselves and have to be produced and eventually disposed of. Significant regulation in the construction and production of them and the reactor design. The training, the upkeep, etc. It's no joke for any kind of power plant, but this is obviously way beyond and takes an immense amount of resources to run and keep running. That's just what it is. In some places where there aren't natural resources nearby that are easy to tap into, it will obviously make sense. Also from a diversification point of view. But again, nuanced. The further I investigate into this and fusion, the further I see these challenges and issues. It's not that they are impossible to ever overcome, it's just that it's not some giant conspiracy, it's a question of where you want to put your efforts and resources for a decent amount of return. It's not a "free endless energy" solution. All of the fission technologies that show promise (not fusion, fission) have significant engineering and operation challenges as well.
Correct, there is nothing that is perfect with no harmful byproducts. Waste will always be something that you'll have to deal with nuclear. It would have to be managed with regulations agreed upon by I would think the IAEA and other agencies with nuclear reactor design, waste management, and so on. Something that makes logical sense, so from creation to long-term storage solutions.

Exactly, and I'm not going to pretend that is easy. Having to train workers to manage a nuclear power plant, and all that isn't easy. However, I don't think it's something that we shouldn't fully consider for the future of clean energy. It will take time to get ready and set up, which is not something that can be done tomorrow, and the current systems will need to slowly be transferred over. It should be diversified but as a future in the face of climate change and (back on thread) EVs, having a larger, more efficient system of power generation will be what I believe is needed. Something that can be ramped up and down with demand, whether that is high A/C usage in hot summers and so on.

Perhaps I'm just an optimist and hope the best for the future. And because I think smashing atoms together is cool and burning coal is lame haha.
      12-28-2022, 11:22 PM   #68
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
They break and get restored within hours if it's not a crazy event. Vehicles are charged in advance of storms, and fleets will still have diesels. Generators still exist. Are you really this dumb?
Maybe I am. I hadn’t realized I was trying to debate with someone who will just blindly defend an opposing view just to be a contrarian, with arguments that fall flat on their face, while name-calling… I guess I am dumb for not seeing the bait before catching it.

Take care. I have some air to inhale through my buccal cavity.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 12:33 AM   #69
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I’m sure the EV owners are much happier than the ICE owners. Much nicer to clear snow off a prewarmwd car and start the drive in a warm car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 01:22 AM   #70
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Maybe I am. I hadn’t realized I was trying to debate with someone who will just blindly defend an opposing view just to be a contrarian, with arguments that fall flat on their face, while name-calling… I guess I am dumb for not seeing the bait before catching it.

Take care. I have some air to inhale through my buccal cavity.
No idea what you’re on about. All the doctors I know drive Teslas anyway and no one is dying.
Appreciate 0