BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
grimluster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 21 X5 M50i

2021 X5 Windshield Replacement

Hey everyone -

So I got my first rockchip and it turned into a 7-8 inch crack in my windshield. I took it to safelite to try and get it repaired but we have no choice but to replace it.

My x5 is fully loaded with all the safety features so re-calibration will be very important. I called insurance and got everything sorted out, also requested an OEM windshield. Only a $100 deductible, but wanted to get thoughts on safelite doing this versus BMW service?

I know this is safelite's specialty but I've never had them do a full replacement before so just want to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
jaynesj13
Rep
Drives: BMW X5; Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimluster View Post
Hey everyone -

So I got my first rockchip and it turned into a 7-8 inch crack in my windshield. I took it to safelite to try and get it repaired but we have no choice but to replace it.

My x5 is fully loaded with all the safety features so re-calibration will be very important. I called insurance and got everything sorted out, also requested an OEM windshield. Only a $100 deductible, but wanted to get thoughts on safelite doing this versus BMW service?

I know this is safelite's specialty but I've never had them do a full replacement before so just want to make sure.
I'd question if safelite really can get OEM windshield... One thing you should ask also about, I think, is whether you can get acoustic glass.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hey everyone -

I've had our local Safelite replace three windshields on two different cars, all with OEM glass and in the end, all was well, no leaks and calibration went ok. However, it depends on how conscientious the person doing the job is and you have to do an inspection before taking the car off their lot or if you are having it done at your house or office, you must do the inspection before they leave.

You inspect the following:

- BEFORE they remove your old windshield, take a picture of the windshield mfg data located in the lower corner so you can match it up with the data that will be on the replacement windshield to verify that are using an OEM windshield. I had to request OEM to my insurance and they did not hesitate to approve it but you need to verify that is what was delivered to Safelite
- The rubber gasket/molding is properly seated 360 degrees around the windshield, no gaps, no folded over gasket, no dips, no zig zags, etc
- You inspect the two A pillars for signs of dirty thumb/finger prints and/or black silicone smears. There is no way you can remove it from the A pillars, you will need to replace them at Safelites expense. I had this happen during one of my replacements.
- In order to remove the mirror plastic housing from the inside of the windshield, you have to pry the black plastic cover off and sometimes in the process, they break one or more of the plastic tabs needed to reattach the cover firmly. If they do break but the installer still have enough tabs left to reinstall the cover, you will find that the cover will vibrate, buzz and shake while driving, especially on bumpy roads. You should grab hold of this cover and verify it is very firmly attached. You can do this before taking them your car in order to get a feel for what it should feel like after they complete the job
- From outside the windshield, inspect the sensor that is just in front of the rear view mirror and make sure they reattached the mirror and sensor properly and you don't have a huge air bubble in there.
- Check the top of the dash, steering wheel, center console, arm rests, both front seats for black silicone smears - this is nasty stuff that will ruin whatever it touches
- Finally, check all the systems that use the sensors and cameras that were detached and reattached to your windshield to verify they work properly. This will mean driving the car and engaging all those systems. Do it on they way home from Safelite, don't wait.
- Use your windshield washers and wipers and verify they work properly and the wipers don't have black silicone on them and smearing it all over the windshield
- Safelite should conduct a water test but in my experience its a brief test because the glue/silicone has not set up yet while they still have the car. Don't wait for a solid rain to find out it leaks, check it out in a couple of days with a water hose.

If this sounds like overkill, just know I learned after having three replaced

Attached Images

Last edited by Marty in NY; 03-16-2021 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: added pic
Appreciate 15
      03-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesj13 View Post
I'd question if safelite really can get OEM windshield... One thing you should ask also about, I think, is whether you can get acoustic glass.
safelite are able to get you oem if your insurance approves it. our dealership's inhouse glass replacement company is all done by safelite. our insurance originally denied oem, but our service manager told them our vehicle requires it because of the HUD. no sure how true that was, but insurance had to approve it. Dealership calibrated it afterwards

also, I believe all windshield are acoustic glass (laminate glass)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone -

I've had our local Safelite replace three windshields on two different cars, all with OEM glass and in the end, all was well, no leaks and calibration went ok. However, it depends on how conscientious the person doing the job is and you have to do an inspection before taking the car off their lot or if you are having it done at your house or office, you must do the inspection before they leave.

- BEFORE they remove your old windshield, take a picture of the windshield mfg data located in the lower corner so you can match it up with the data that will be on the replacement windshield to verify that are using an OEM windshield. I had to request OEM to my insurance and they did not hesitate to approve it but you need to verify that is what was delivered to Safelite
- The rubber gasket/molding is properly seated 360 degrees around the windshield, no gaps, no folded over gasket, no dips, no zig zags, etc
- You inspect the two A pillars for signs of dirty thumb/finger prints and/or black silicone smears. There is no way you can remove it from the A pillars, you will need to replace them at Safelites expense. I had this happen during one of my replacements.
- In order to remove the mirror plastic housing from the inside of the windshield, you have to pry the black plastic cover off and sometimes in the process, they break one or more of the plastic tabs needed to reattach the cover firmly. If they do break but the installer still have enough tabs left to reinstall the cover, you will find that the cover will vibrate, buzz and shake while driving, especially on bumpy roads. You should grab hold of this cover and verify it is very firmly attached. You can do this before taking them your car in order to get a feel for what it should feel like after they complete the job
- From outside the windshield, inspect the sensor that is just in front of the rear view mirror and make sure they reattached the mirror and sensor properly and you don't have a huge air bubble in there.
- Check the top of the dash, steering wheel, center console, arm rests, both front seats for black silicone smears - this is nasty stuff that will ruin whatever it touches
- Finally, check all the systems that use the sensors and cameras that were detached and reattached to your windshield to verify they work properly. This will mean driving the car and engaging all those systems. Do it on they way home from Safelite, don't wait.
- Use your windshield washers and wipers and verify they work properly and the wipers don't have black silicone on them and smearing it all over the windshield
- Safelite should conduct a water test but in my experience its a brief test because the glue/silicone has not set up yet while they still have the car. Don't wait for a solid rain to find out it leaks, check it out in a couple of days with a water hose.

This thread should almost gave a sticky because of this excellent response.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

We just replaced a Macan S windshield and ran into an issue with Safelite not being able to calibrate it correctly. Plus they damaged the airbag indicator harness that is in the rear view mirror. Insurance is paying for all of it, but there was the hassle of waiting for Safelite to try to resolve the issue before they gave up and we had to take it to dealer. Out about a week. Not the end of the world but I would probably try to take our 45e to the dealer, going forward. Also, Safelite broke the clips that held the rear view mirror cluster in place. We have used Safelite with lots of other cars in the past without any issues but these new cars might be a little too complicated for them. I guess it also depends upon the location.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
grimluster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Wow! This is great information, thank you! By the sound of it, perhaps I should just look into the dealer doing the work. I know they can also mess up but seems like a safer option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moholland View Post
We just replaced a Macan S windshield and ran into an issue with Safelite not being able to calibrate it correctly. Plus they damaged the airbag indicator harness that is in the rear view mirror. Insurance is paying for all of it, but there was the hassle of waiting for Safelite to try to resolve the issue before they gave up and we had to take it to dealer. Out about a week. Not the end of the world but I would probably try to take our 45e to the dealer, going forward. Also, Safelite broke the clips that held the rear view mirror cluster in place. We have used Safelite with lots of other cars in the past without any issues but these new cars might be a little too complicated for them. I guess it also depends upon the location.
That's awful! Now I'm really considering calling BMW and seeing when/if they can do the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 02:03 AM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

Wow! This is great information, thank you! By the sound of it, perhaps I should just look into the dealer doing the work. I know they can also mess up but seems like a safer option...

That's awful! Now I'm really considering calling BMW and seeing when/if they can do the replacement.
I didn't even bother with Safelite. That's who my insurance wanted me to go with but I pushed for BMW and they said no problem. My BMW dealer did a fantastic job with my windshield replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
grimluster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I didn't even bother with Safelite. That's who my insurance wanted me to go with but I pushed for BMW and they said no problem. My BMW dealer did a fantastic job with my windshield replacement.
Thanks! I got it scheduled with BMW and I'm all set now.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Just encase anyone is interested the recalibration is quite simple. The tech plugs in to the OB2 port under the dash drivers side and when he connects he selects the windshield sensor and hits reset. The vehicle needs a few mins of driving (they say 15mins) and all is well. No real specials tools are needed or setting just let the system do it itself. I give my shout-out to the tech that came to my home to do the windshield and show me the process!!! I love my local BMW dealer.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 09:54 PM   #11
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

You should always have the rain sensor replaced when replacing the windshield... at least that is what the service center tells me. This avoids removable issues etc.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #12
center001
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 x40i

Thanks for the info in this post! Just had the windshield on my new X5 replaced after getting a small angel wing chip in my line of sight a few weeks ago.

Initially tried to get it repaired but the repair actually made it worse (chip appeared all black all of the time rather than the crystal/prism look it had initially). Thank God for insurance as the total cost of the replacement was $4200! I was astounded and was expecting something closer to $2500. For those that don't have a $0 glass deductible I would recommend adjusting your policy to include it.

Anyway for those in the Twin Cities, MN area I had it done at Walser Glass and from what I can tell so far they did a really great job and provided good service along the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #13
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Rough ride in back seat

I have done 2600km now between Melbourne and Country Queensland and around a fair bit of Victoria. My mate says the rear seat is rough and bumpy. I sat in the back a bit and tend to agree. Not what i expected from the X5(G05 2019 model 30d).

Combination of low profile 20inch run flats and the suspension set up ( most of time is comfort mode) being a sporty type SAV.

Tyre pressure set by dealer, have not checked but heard around 40psi. ?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #14
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

You should've requested Acoustic glass. If it wasn't the OEM for you
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I just got mine replaced using Safelite. No problems.

There is only OEM so you will not get aftermarket.

I think almost every BMW dealership outsources it so just because you take it to BMW doesn't mean they are actually doing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #16
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
I just got mine replaced using Safelite. No problems.

There is only OEM so you will not get aftermarket.

I think almost every BMW dealership outsources it so just because you take it to BMW doesn't mean they are actually doing it.
At least the dealer will be liable for the workmanship. I don't think everyone can check all those points Marty in NY pointed out earlier with precision.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:39 PM   #17
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

$3300 for a replacement on a '22 45e. I pay $250 and Progressive pays the rest, but wow! The glass itself was over $1700
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:47 PM   #18
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
$3300 for a replacement on a '22 45e. I pay $250 and Progressive pays the rest, but wow! The glass itself was over $1700
Did you have to fight to get an OEM replacement? I have a huge crack and am preparing for them to offer me a Safelite replacement.
      08-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #19
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Did you have to fight to get an OEM replacement? I have a huge crack and am preparing for them to offer me a Safelite replacement.
Nope. Safelite processes Progressive's glass claims, and I was sure I'd have an argument, but they were great about it. Told them I was going to the dealer and they said they'd contact them and set it up.

Of course I haven't gotten a reimbursement check yet, so we'll see.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      08-24-2023, 09:29 PM   #20
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5, 2024 x3 on order

My wife’s 2024 x5 got hit with a rock on the highway. The chip quickly spiderweb’d. progressive and Safelight we’re fine but their system doesn’t yet allow for a 2024 x5 to be selected. I made sure everyone I talked to knew it was a 24 and to make a not. Rest assured they showed up with 23 windshield. They apologized, ordered a 24 from a local BMW dealer, vin # checked, and they installed it the next week. They cannot however calibrate it so the car is at the dealer now for a calibration. The windshield was free through my insurance and the dealer charges $200 to calibrate which my insurance reimburses me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #21
yzhou2004
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Very thorough inspection list. Just reply to save this thread for my headache to replace the windshield now. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #22
yzhou2004
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moholland View Post
Agree. I am searching 3 safelite locations close by. The yelp reviews on all of 3 locations are 3 to 3.5. Some feedback on customer service are just terrible. I am thinking to take my car to either dealership or a reputable local shop for the replacement.
Appreciate 0