BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
SeldomSeenKid
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Swirls in glossy black plastic trim on door pillars

Car is about 2 months old and already getting swirls in the for pillar trim. I guess is is not that unexpected from my research. Also found that PPF on the trim should help for a period of time.

PPF is an option for me, but am wondering if anyone here has found a more "DYI" solution to these swirls.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenKid View Post
Car is about 2 months old and already getting swirls in the for pillar trim. I guess is is not that unexpected from my research. Also found that PPF on the trim should help for a period of time.

PPF is an option for me, but am wondering if anyone here has found a more "DYI" solution to these swirls.
I really dislike piano black gloss trim for this exact reason, inside and outside the cars. Even around the AC vent trim, you'll notice a ton of fine scratches build up over time, and the super particular folks among us will definitely suffer.

As you said, PPF does a marvelous job at hiding fine scratches; mine was pretty bad and now they're barely noticeable; I used Adams Graphene coating on top of the PPF and it's even harder to see anything now.

The piano black trim is also covered by a clear coat, so my buddy polished his before applying the PPF, and I have to say, it does look slightly better than mine, though I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. He followed these instructions (
), but the danger is that the clear coat can be destroyed if things get too hot or fast, so you need to be pretty careful.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Third BMW with the same trim. I hit it once or twice a year with Meguiar's cleaner wax on the orbital buffer and they look great.

Actually two weeks ago, my dad purchased a two year old F150 with similar trim that had two scratches on the passenger side window trim. I assume swiping a tree limb at some point. The Meguar's and my orbital buffer did a great job.

I don't overthink it and have had great experience maintaining these. My two cents.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #4
SeldomSeenKid
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

TB-M5 Chas8283

Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to go the polish route this next weekend and see how it turns out - it's my detail weekend anyhow.

Think I could use hand polish on the inside piano black trim? May get kind messy....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Didn't realize this was (or was also) interior. If you're talking about piano black wood trim (or other high gloss trim), then yes I've done the Meguir's there too with good results. If you're talking about the high gloss black plastic on the center console I haven't had to deal with any scratches there (yet). If/when I do I'd likely use a polish designed for plastic.

Regardless, if doing by hand, use to use a soft towel and light pressure and take your time. Should turn out good.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50.i

polish it out and then ppf it.

had it on my RR black trim panels and it never swirled. the black paint with modesata coating, swirled up and got water spots all the time.

never getting a black car ever again... ugh. so hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I had my X5 pillar trims machine polished then PPF'd.
Appreciate 0