12-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

order Special Interest License Plate for new car

hi,
I'd like to order Special Interest License Plate for my new x5, there are two options:

(1) if ordering a sequential plate, please have available the registration card for the vehicle receiving the plate. Sequential plates will be mailed to the most current address reported to DMV for the vehicle receiving the plate.
(2) If ordering a personalized plate as a gift, please be prepared to provide recipient's name, address, phone number, and DMV field office for plate pick-up.

I need to have VIN for option (1), apparently I don't have it now.

will it work if I go with option (2) and update/or somehow link VIN to the license plate?

any suggestion?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
hi,
I'd like to order Special Interest License Plate for my new x5, there are two options:

(1) if ordering a sequential plate, please have available the registration card for the vehicle receiving the plate. Sequential plates will be mailed to the most current address reported to DMV for the vehicle receiving the plate.
(2) If ordering a personalized plate as a gift, please be prepared to provide recipient's name, address, phone number, and DMV field office for plate pick-up.

will it work if I go with option (2) and update/or somehow link VIN to the license plate?

any suggestion?

Thanks
Depending on your state, this can be a tricky mess and precisely when you decide to change the plate can cause a headache. Can you provide a little more context? (State, expected delivery of X5, transfer tag, etc...)
      12-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Quote:
hi,

any suggestion?

Thanks
Depending on your state, this can be a tricky mess and precisely when you decide to change the plate can cause a headache. Can you provide a little more context? (State, expected delivery of X5, transfer tag, etc...)
I'm in CA, and just placed order with dealer today. So don't know the ETA yet. Will be a brand now license plate, don't know how to solve this chicken egg issue.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Quote:
hi,

any suggestion?

Thanks
I'm in CA, and just placed order with dealer today. So don't know the ETA yet. Will be a brand now license plate, don't know how to solve this chicken egg issue.

Thanks
PM me.
      12-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

In CA you don’t need a VIN # to order a personalized plate. Just order it online, then wait until you get your random assigned plates from the DMV for your X5, and take both sets of plates to the DMV. They will transfer your car to the personalized plates and take the random plates from you. Done. We have done that with almost every car we have bought/leased. It’s easy...except the waiting in the line part at the DMV!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
In CA you don’t need a VIN # to order a personalized plate. Just order it online, then wait until you get your random assigned plates from the DMV for your X5, and take both sets of plates to the DMV. They will transfer your car to the personalized plates and take the random plates from you. Done. We have done that with almost every car we have bought/leased. It’s easy...except the waiting in the line part at the DMV!
Thanks a lot!!
Appreciate 0