BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #23
Bavar-ian
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Paid for iconicsoundsports in my connected drive account.
Software was flashed in OTA.
Started up the car and adjusted through the modes.
The sound is coming from under the car.
Piped into cabin or not, i cant tell.
But it makes my 21 x40i a better drive daily; i could shut off my exhaust flap now to auto and enjoy the better gas mileage as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #24
NS231
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550, 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavar-ian View Post
Paid for iconicsoundsports in my connected drive account.
Software was flashed in OTA.
Started up the car and adjusted through the modes.
The sound is coming from under the car.
Piped into cabin or not, i cant tell.
But it makes my 21 x40i a better drive daily; i could shut off my exhaust flap now to auto and enjoy the better gas mileage as well.
Any info on how long it took to appear via OTA? I purchased this morning through CD acct online (4/5 hrs ago) and it hasn't made it's way over to my 21 x40i yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #25
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS231 View Post
Any info on how long it took to appear via OTA? I purchased this morning through CD acct online (4/5 hrs ago) and it hasn't made it's way over to my 21 x40i yet...
I purchased iconsound last month, it appeared after a couple hours. But just last week, I also purchased adaptive m suspension. That's still not available on idrive. I emailed customer service, who said it won't activate until my payment clears. WTF?! They must've changed their system to push the update after credit card transaction actually posts. Stupid move, never heard any company do that for any reason... imagine going to a grocery store, paying $500 for groceries, and then waiting 4 days to pick up your bread because the transaction needs to post first.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #26
freezerdoctor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
I purchased iconsound last month, it appeared after a couple hours. But just last week, I also purchased adaptive m suspension. That's still not available on idrive. I emailed customer service, who said it won't activate until my payment clears. WTF?! They must've changed their system to push the update after credit card transaction actually posts. Stupid move, never heard any company do that for any reason... imagine going to a grocery store, paying $500 for groceries, and then waiting 4 days to pick up your bread because the transaction needs to post first.

Maybe this explains my situation. Purchased the IconicSounds Sport two days ago, and it still has not loaded.

I spent 2.5 hours on hold being bounced between the BMW geniuses and BMW assist groups. They couldn’t figure out why the engine sounds menu wasn’t available.

Just checked my credit card, and this charge still shows as pending. I hope this is the answer.
2021 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Jeep Wrangler (Original Owner)
Appreciate 1
NS2312.00
      12-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #27
SarethX
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Seems like this should be standard option really. Kinda sad that BMW has to nickle and dime such an option.
Appreciate 1
NS2312.00
      12-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #28
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerdoctor View Post
Maybe this explains my situation. Purchased the IconicSounds Sport two days ago, and it still has not loaded.

I spent 2.5 hours on hold being bounced between the BMW geniuses and BMW assist groups. They couldn’t figure out why the engine sounds menu wasn’t available.

Just checked my credit card, and this charge still shows as pending. I hope this is the answer.
I had a similar experience on the phone. They had me restart idrive, reinstall mybmw etc.. I got the actual answer when I emailed asking for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #29
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Make sure your vehicle has good cell coverage/isn’t underground and update apps/services. Go for a drive etc. I ordered the adaptive M and it installed the next day (vehicle was underground so didn’t bother with it immediately)
      12-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #30
freezerdoctor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive 40i

Reporting back here...

It took several days for the credit card charge to post (strange). Once it posted, I received an email from the connected store with next step instructions. This was last night.

This morning, I performed the remote software update search, and it downloaded while I drove my daughter to school. After this, I stopped for gas, and ran the update while I filled up. Pretty quick process. By the time the tank was full, the update was complete.

While I know this is fake sound, I enjoy hearing it while driving. It adds to the enjoyment for me.

The only bad thing is now I have to re-code some things with Bimmercode, since this update wiped my changes out. Oh well - not a big deal - just didn't expect that to happen.
2021 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Jeep Wrangler (Original Owner)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #31
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

There's 2 types of "fake sound"

Type 1- Piped in sound that uses microphones in the engine bay/exhaust area and sends it to the car's speakers.

Type 2- Actual fake sound played on your speaks that is in line with your RPMS.

I don't mind type 1 so much, but type 2 should be avoidable at all costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #32
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerdoctor View Post
Reporting back here...

It took several days for the credit card charge to post (strange). Once it posted, I received an email from the connected store with next step instructions. This was last night.

This morning, I performed the remote software update search, and it downloaded while I drove my daughter to school. After this, I stopped for gas, and ran the update while I filled up. Pretty quick process. By the time the tank was full, the update was complete.

While I know this is fake sound, I enjoy hearing it while driving. It adds to the enjoyment for me.

The only bad thing is now I have to re-code some things with Bimmercode, since this update wiped my changes out. Oh well - not a big deal - just didn't expect that to happen.
Interestingly, I too got my invoice (for adaptive suspension) and mine still doesn't show any updates... I've been emailing bmw assist customer support, and today they asked me to contact bmw canada. I'm like WHY?? I am in NYC bought the car here in the US! Let's see what they say
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 08:01 PM   #33
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None at moment

I just installed my iconic sounds earlier today. I'm still trying to figure it out. The sound on Sports mode is significantly louder than the standard. I do feel a little more vibration in the steering wheel like there is a mechanical change when in Sport.

Are we certain that this is just a speaker/audio-output adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #34
pwnagiux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Can anyone show a video of the sound? curious to see if it is worth it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #35
sparrky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW - 2023 X5 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
So I ordered and installed the Iconic Sounds today. After trying it out in the various drive modes, I don't really like it. It kind of sounds like a booming V8, in my 40i X5. So really a faked sound.

Even in the "reduced" setting, it appears to be in the background in every drive mode.

Any ideas on how to uninstall or completely disable it?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #36
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah agree. The sports is a little obnoxious. The balanced I'm kind of liking. So far.

But good question. How do you go back to normal? I thought reduced was normal. But I might be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 10:59 PM   #37
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brerpie View Post
Yeah agree. The sports is a little obnoxious. The balanced I'm kind of liking. So far.

But good question. How do you go back to normal? I thought reduced was normal. But I might be wrong.
I assume reduced is standard 40i fake sound?

I went for it and HEHEHE it’s fun. I know it’s not a V8 but it’s kinda like playing a racing simulator, those are all fake sounds too but it sounds fast.
      12-16-2022, 08:38 AM   #38
sparrky
Private
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
UPDATE#1: So I contacted connected drive support via email, asking about removing IconicSounds Sport or uninstalling it. They responded within a few hours indicating that they would credit my credit card back for the purchase.

However, they did not indicate how it would be uninstalled or deactivated on the X5.

I don't care about the money, the sound is driving me and my kids crazy, they no longer want to drive the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrky View Post
So I ordered and installed the Iconic Sounds today. After trying it out in the various drive modes, I don't really like it. It kind of sounds like a booming V8, in my 40i X5. So really a faked sound.

Even in the "reduced" setting, it appears to be in the background in every drive mode.

Any ideas on how to uninstall or completely disable it?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #39
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE#1: So I contacted connected drive support via email, asking about removing IconicSounds Sport or uninstalling it. They responded within a few hours indicating that they would credit my credit card back for the purchase.

However, they did not indicate how it would be uninstalled or deactivated on the X5.

I don't care about the money, the sound is driving me and my kids crazy, they no longer want to drive the car.
Do you have an aftermarket amplifier?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #40
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
Do you have an aftermarket amplifier?
I'm glad you asked this. Doc you think it's amplifying this sound too? I have the bimmertech amp. I will say sport is very loud. Balanced seems ok. But can also be loud.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #41
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm glad you asked this. Doc you think it's amplifying this sound too? I have the bimmertech amp. I will say sport is very loud. Balanced seems ok. But can also be loud.
It's a known issue that aftermarket amplifiers like the one from bimmertech can make certain sounds too high, like the turnsignal which can't be adjusted using the volume button. I would imagine iconsound is acting no different.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #42
sparrky
Private
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
UPDATE 2: Just to wrap this up. System update, via Apps, removed the function and vehicle is back to normal. Glad it's gone, and thanks to connected drive support for being so quick with the replies and sending the update.

To reply to a question. No, don't have an aftermarket amp, just the stock base audio system. Even in "Reduced" setting, you can tell the fake sound is coming through the speakers.

Just my 2-cents/IMO, it in no way sounds like a louder or exhaust tuned 6cyl X5. Frankly, it sounded like the 8cyl, Rover Sport I had years ago.

Thanks for starting this topic and hope I didn't hijack the thread, just wanted to pass on my experience getting the option and removing it.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #43
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any chance of it affecting normal audio quality from a music perapective since it's coming out of the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #44
sparrky
Private
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
It sounded like it was reducing normal audio, like music. Somewhat like the way the nav system reduces audio when it is telling you a direction. It was even more apparent in the "sporty" setting.

Quote:
Any chance of it affecting normal audio quality from a music perapective since it's coming out of the speakers?
Appreciate 0