11-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
I never had issues with All Seasons, but you have to be slow in turns. Winters give you more confidence but they are terrible when the roads are dry and the ride is bouncy when your car has sport suspension. All Seasons offer the best compromise IMO. They also wear out less and you have more fun when the roads are dry than Winters.
I live in central Virginia. It occasionally snows. I drive up to Northern Virginia (DC area) to go to work. I have a 4 wheel drive truck for real snow. But usually, because you can get stuck in DC traffic literally for hours during a DC snow storm, I just work from home when it snows.

Which explains why I use high performance all season tires on all my cars. It doesn't snow here enough nor deep enough to merit a dedicated set of snow tires. Summer tires are too soft to get decent mileage out of them. The loss of grip between summer tires and All Seasons is not that big of a gap for any type of street driving IMO. When I bought my Z4 Coupe in December 2014, it had Michelin Pilot Sport summer runflats on it. I drove the car all that winter and never noticed any sort of loss of control due to driving summer tires on cold pavement. My sport-package E90 came with Bridgestone REA050 summer tires. Bought in May 2006, I drove it all winter of 2006 and never lost control of the car nor had an accident because of some perceived (and unexpected) increase in braking distance. And I live rural with great driving roads starting just at the end of my driveway.

People who say driving summer tires in winter on cold pavement (not snow covered pavement) is like driving on ice skates is just utter bullshit. People who say driving on (high performance) All Seasons is a compromise is again, utter bullshit. Live in an area of the country where it is cold and snowy all the time, then sure winter tires make sense. But All Seasons hold their own in most winter situations and return better tread life than either winter tires or summer tires without much compromise in cold or warm weather grip.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6024.00
kern4174442.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i live in the midwest. all seasons is what i put on my civic and it does fine. my friend has all seasons on his m4 and lives in chicago (pilot sport as3). I had these same tires on my f30 rwd 335. Yes you lose some summer time performance but its not major... you're not going to be blowing the tires off in 2nd gear or anything like that. You get like 90% of the super sport performance, but you gain the ability to drive confidently in the snow and freezing temps... which the pilot super sport isn't going to give you.

yes if you plan on driving in blizzards or 6-8+ inches of snow you probably want a dedicated snow tire. At that point your work is probably going to be cancelled anyway.
I run Pilot Sport AS3 on my Z4 Coupe and Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S on my E90 year round. I've never had a grip issue in any driving season on the street at road speeds that would get me a night in jail and a suspended license; 20 MPH over in Virginia is reckless driving. People make it sound like high-performance All Season tires have no grip in summer (BS) and no winter traction capability (BS).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-04-2019 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6024.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
nabil50.00
      11-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #69
Blue_M235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Estoril Blue Conv

I decided I'm going with the BMW recommended Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season run flats 225/40R18 for all 4 wheels.

What driving mode is best for ice/snow conditions on the highway?
What about DSC/DTC? I see DTC is actived during Sport+. Is that good or bad for slippery conditions?
I'm more conservative in general. I was having a great time with Sport/Sport+ this weekend, but that's a rarity. Generally speaking I'm in 'comfort' and happy with the performance.

What are the best settings for inclement winter weather?

Thanks! This board is a plethora of great info...

("I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora." - name that movie)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #70
Blue_M235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Estoril Blue Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
That sounds awful maybe I should go elsewhere in queens at least that would be equally easy within uber ride or subway
That is definitely an option I hadn't though about. The guys up in Greenwich have been great though, so I don't mind taking the ride up there. I went for the first appointment of the day and made it in 30 min (no traffic that early).
I can bring the laptop and work from their lounge for a couple hours while they handle the maintenance. Anything longer and they said they'd coordinate a loaner for me.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #71
Fredrow
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Couldn't agree more. If you care about performance it's perfectly OK. That's why people buy BMW's, no?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #72
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_M235i View Post
I decided I'm going with the BMW recommended Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season run flats 225/40R18 for all 4 wheels.

What driving mode is best for ice/snow conditions on the highway?
What about DSC/DTC? I see DTC is actived during Sport+. Is that good or bad for slippery conditions?
I'm more conservative in general. I was having a great time with Sport/Sport+ this weekend, but that's a rarity. Generally speaking I'm in 'comfort' and happy with the performance.

Thanks! This board is a plethora of great info...

("I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora." - name that movie)
Comfort with all nanny on, though if you got stuck while park overnight for example, you can turn DSC off to get some slip as suppose to have power cut off...
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #73
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I live in central Virginia. It occasionally snows. I drive up to Northern Virginia (DC area) to go to work. I have a 4 wheel drive truck for real snow. But usually, because you can get stuck in DC traffic literally for hours during a DC snow storm, I just work from home when it snows.

Which explains why I use high performance all season tires on all my cars. It doesn't snow here enough nor deep enough to merit a dedicated set of snow tires. Summer tires are too soft to get decent mileage out of them. The loss of grip between summer tires and All Seasons is not that big of a gap for any type of street driving IMO. When I bought my Z4 Coupe in December 2014, it had Michelin Pilot Sport summer runflats on it. I drove the car all that winter and never noticed any sort of loss of control due to driving summer tires on cold pavement. My sport-package E90 came with Bridgestone REA050 summer tires. Bought in May 2006, I drove it all winter of 2006 and never lost control of the car nor had an accident because of some perceived (and unexpected) increase in braking distance. And I live rural with great driving roads starting just at the end of my driveway.

People who say driving summer tires in winter on cold pavement (not snow covered pavement) is like driving on ice skates is just utter bullshit. People who say driving on (high performance) All Seasons is a compromise is again, utter bullshit. Live in an area of the country where it is cold and snowy all the time, then sure winter tires make sense. But All Seasons hold their own in most winter situations and return better tread life than either winter tires or summer tires without much compromise in cold or warm weather grip.
Thank you for this "real world, not repeating what somebody else told me " post. I live in NYC and have always driven my E46 M3, E60 M5 and F10 M5 on summers through the whole winter on dry days with no issues. Hell I ride my sport bike (ZX14) to work all year round and somehow have managed to survive with sport rubber. Snow and ice are a different animal.
      11-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #74
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

+1

I run separate winter and summer wheel/tire sets, but I live in an area where the average snowfall is over 80" and the highest summer temp and the coldest winter temp are 125 degrees apart - 130 or more, in some years. I make regular trips to the cabin over unplowed roads and an unplowed driveway. Most places have much less extreme conditions, and an all-season tire is the sensible option. Saves $ and storage space.
      11-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #75
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_M235i View Post
I use Comfort when I want to relax and enjoy the ride, or I'm preoccupied with something.

If I want to blow someone's doors off in a drag race, I'll hit the DSC button once to put it into "Traction" mode. You get yaw/spin (lateral stability) control like Comfort but it'll let you spin the tires quite a bit in a straight line, so an aggressive tire like I run will give a bit better thrust than when they're fully hooked up.

If I'm up for paying full attention and feel like having some fun, I turn DSC fully off and drift merrily about. There's something really fun about perfectly carving an interstate cloverleaf on-ramp at full opposite lock at 30mph in fresh snow. But ONLY when I'm up for it. Otherwise, let the nannies take care of you.
      12-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #76
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Very nice, thank you for sharing.
      12-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #77
Salty Dog
Captain