BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Precondition/Ventilation

Just wondering why it asks you if you want to do this at the end of a drive. Anyone does it?
Also I recently notice an awful smell at start up. It almost smells like dead fish or my kids' socks from their practices. Only about 5k now. Anyone experiences this? I don't precondition/ventilation because I park inside. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

I've never used precondition, but definitely don't get that smell.

Is it only when you start up the car?
Appreciate 1
10101X5465.00
      07-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Just wondering why it asks you if you want to do this at the end of a drive. Anyone does it?
Also I recently notice an awful smell at start up. It almost smells like dead fish or my kids' socks from their practices. Only about 5k now. Anyone experiences this? I don't precondition/ventilation because I park inside. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
I love the preconditioning feature on the app.

Given the current very high temperatures where I live, I use it all the time, both before leaving from home or if I park outside in the sun and I'm in a store or something, I make it a point to turn it on from the app even just 5 mins before I leave and it makes a world of difference in terms of internal temperature in the car.

I have had no bad smell issues on startup, whether after preconditioning or not. It sounds strange and perhaps worth a call into your SA?

Sorry for being unable to offer more helpful advice - maybe someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 2
10101X5465.00
cptcolo102.00
      07-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I get that screen at the end of a drive, when I put it in park and then power off. I assume it is a placeholder screen while the radio, massage, and ventilation keep working until I open the door. Once I open the door, everything turns off.
Appreciate 1
10101X5465.00
      07-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Is it only when you start up the car?
Yeah only at start up. Lasted a good 5 minutes or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
I love the preconditioning feature on the app.

Given the current very high temperatures where I live, I use it all the time, both before leaving from home or if I park outside in the sun and I'm in a store or something, I make it a point to turn it on from the app even just 5 mins before I leave and it makes a world of difference in terms of internal temperature in the car.

I have had no bad smell issues on startup, whether after preconditioning or not. It sounds strange and perhaps worth a call into your SA?

Sorry for being unable to offer more helpful advice - maybe someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.
I do too when I'm about to leave my office or store. Will call them on Monday to see if I can get it looked at. I'm not too comfortable with people in/out my car just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I get that screen at the end of a drive, when I put it in park and then power off. I assume it is a placeholder screen while the radio, massage, and ventilation keep working until I open the door. Once I open the door, everything turns off.
Good point. Maybe.
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Some nasty smells can occur if your a/c condensate drain is plugged...allowing water to pool. THere's all sorts of spores and crud in the air that moves past it, and if it can't drain, stuff will grow.

I think asking if you want to precondition at the end of your trip is useful if you're say going inside to run a short errand, or people might be sitting in the car waiting for you to come back out. Sometimes, I might want to finish a phone call, but don't need to keep the thing running, but don't want to be uncomfortable.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

What the heck is a difference between preconditioned air and airconditioned air? Do they just mean air-conditioned in the summer, and heated in the winter? Will the engine keep running to have air-conditioned air?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

With my 535 I would always use the ventilation when I got home if I brought take out. It was great to make sure that the smell didn't settle.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to just have the vent run. I've tried pre-condition but it started the car which wasn't what I wanted.
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post
With my 535 I would always use the ventilation when I got home if I brought take out. It was great to make sure that the smell didn't settle.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to just have the vent run. I've tried pre-condition but it started the car which wasn't what I wanted.
That is a genius idea. I'm going to steal that.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #10
floop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

You can disable the option to display precondition selection at the end of a drive. As I recall, there's three or four options that can be displayed. I think the two default options are precondition and valet.

Doesn't appear to have the "comfort ventilation" (just venting, no engine start) that was on the F15. Or at least I haven't been able to find it.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      07-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

With the PHEV, since both heating and cooling are electric, it will do either, depending on what's needed to maintain the preset temperature. I don't know what it does on the ICE, but it should be described in the user's manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
I presume you have a 45e because the ICE only can also pre condition but that is different.

My 45e had a bad chemical smell at start first weeks but it disappeared. I have seen others reporting the same. It was more a chemical oil smell I wouldn't call it dead fish. Maybe it is different.

Pre conditioning works well like mentioned above. I use it when it is very warm outside but also very cold. In normal temperatures I don't pre conditioning.

Yesterday I drove my wife somewhere and I waited in the car for 10 minutes. I switched the car off and it showed the possibility to switch AC on which I did and it stayed on until she was back 10 minutes later. I don't know how long it will work, until the HV battery is low? And if it still works if I would get out of the car and my kids and dog stay in. Maybe opening the drivers side door stops this program. Would have to try.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yesterday I drove my wife somewhere and I waited in the car for 10 minutes. I switched the car off and it showed the possibility to switch AC on which I did and it stayed on until she was back 10 minutes later. I don't know how long it will work, until the HV battery is low? And if it still works if I would get out of the car and my kids and dog stay in. Maybe opening the drivers side door stops this program. Would have to try.
when stationary, HVAC will temporarily stop functioning if the HV battery is low. it will resume once some capacity is recovered while driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #14
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
What the heck is a difference between preconditioned air and airconditioned air? Do they just mean air-conditioned in the summer, and heated in the winter? Will the engine keep running to have air-conditioned air?
Preconditioning is simply the car feature that lets you turn A/C on before entering the car so that, when you do, you can enjoy a cool car in the summer or a warm car in the winter.

Assuming you have a 45e, air conditioning is powered by the HV battery, so (as long as you have a minimum charge on your HV battery) preconditioning is entirely electric.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Preconditioning runs a preset time unless you start the vehicle, which returns it to normal operation...doesn't matter if you leave or lock the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
not to beat a dead horse... preconditioning is essentially climatizing the cabin prior to getting into the vehicle. for the hybrid 45e, it cools the cabin with air-conditioned air or heats it utilizing the HV battery, whereas in ICE variants, remote start does it by running the ICE. 45e users have the safe advantage of preconditioning/climatizing in an enclosed garage because the ICE isn't utilized. i precondition every day...just did it today while in the grocery checkout line!

Last edited by nZtiZia; 07-18-2021 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      07-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Preconditioning is a great feature that I've used on my i3 and now the 45e.

It's especially handy if the vehicle is parked outside in the winter and there was any snow as it makes cleaning it off, especially the windshield, much easier. For the PHEV and an EV, it works best if you're still plugged in, as then you won't be using much, if any (depending on the EVSE you have) of the battery capacity, extending your range.

Remote start isn't a very efficient use of the ICE, as while the engine may warm up, the transmission and drivetrain won't be, and IMHO, is a convenience, but a waste of energy.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
10101X5
Captain
Rep

I was wondering about precondition/ventilation at the end. At the beginning of course it makes perfect sense esp in hot/cold days. I have a 40i btw and park inside. So precondition/ventilation is not possible for me.
Quote:
At the end of a drive after turn off the engine, if you start preconditioning, it won’t turn the engine back on. So maybe it’s good to do to clear out. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #19
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post

The g05 doesn’t start engine once you turn it off. I learned that nothing beats a cooler when it comes to take out esp. crawfish
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:21 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
not to beat a dead horse... preconditioning is essentially climatizing the cabin prior to getting into the vehicle. for the hybrid 45e, it cools the cabin with air-conditioned air or heats it utilizing the HV battery, whereas in ICE variants, remote start does it by running the ICE. 45e users have the safe advantage of preconditioning/climatizing in an enclosed garage because the ICE isn't utilized. i precondition every day...just did it today while in the grocery checkout line!
And to make in more difficult. In Europe remote engine start is not available. Pre conditioning is still available in non plug in hybrids but it starts ventilation without cooling.

It helps in really hot days to take the worst heat out. I had in my G32. Better than nothing but pre conditioning in the 45e is way more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I had the dead fish smell on my last G05 X5 50i. It would hit you the first 5 seconds of starting the car when it sat over night. It was the ac condensation sitting in a hot humid garage in the summer months. I found when I turned the ac off the last 5 minutes before putting the car away helped dry it up. I also did a tutorial with replacing the cabin air filter because of this smell. I recommend shooting some lysol disinfectant in the cabin air intake on the passenger side under the hood. That will kill any of this stale bacteria that may be growing. I did that and replace the cabin air filter and the problem is solved.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...bin+air+filter
Appreciate 1
10101X5465.00
      07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #22
10101X5
Captain
Rep

I just learned that you can do Start Ventilation or Plan Climate Control without having had the engine started. I did start the engine yesterday afternoon but when I went to the car, it wasn't running and the inside was still hot. I wondered what happened because I did get a Successful message when I sent to the car. I'm trying to do again now and paid attention to the disclaimer. It says I need to go into setting to allow engine start. Lol I didn't even know about this because it always started engine before. Maybe the new update turned it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I had the dead fish smell on my last G05 X5 50i. It would hit you the first 5 seconds of starting the car when it sat over night. It was the ac condensation sitting in a hot humid garage in the summer months. I found when I turned the ac off the last 5 minutes before putting the car away helped dry it up. I also did a tutorial with replacing the cabin air filter because of this smell. I recommend shooting some lysol disinfectant in the cabin air intake on the passenger side under the hood. That will kill any of this stale bacteria that may be growing. I did that and replace the cabin air filter and the problem is solved.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...bin+air+filter
The Lysol spray is a killer! I use it a lot and will definitely spray some into that intake. Thanks.
Appreciate 0