03-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #23
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
So I test drove the X5 and Cayenne same day - back too back.

I drove a brand new M50i and X5M Competition at my dealer. The M50 was very nice, rode really smooth in comfort mode. As soon as I have it a significant amount of throttle the car was very unstable and floaty. Even in sport + mode - the car road like a boat. I did not care for it at all. There is too much power for the chassis. I honestly think it’s a big waste of money to put that much power in that car. It cannot handle it. If I was going to buy a new X5 I would get the base model and just use it to shuttle around town to get groceries and go on road trips but there’s way too much horsepower in that car. I understand it’s an SUV and it’s not meant to be a sports car, but the car floated and felt unstable when it was under throttle.

I drove the X5M immediately afterward there was a significant difference in the feel of the car. It was much flatter in the handling, and the ride was noticeably more firm as expected. I did not think the ride was uncomfortable, but it did ride pretty firm, and I found myself thinking it would not be comfortable as a daily driver car at least not to me. I also found the car to feel very heavy like I was driving around in a tank that went real fast.

I drove the Porsche Cayenne within an hour. It was a GTS model. There is no comparison. None. The Porsche Cayenne drives circles around any of the X5’s, even the competition model. The cayenne sounds better, rides better, and handles better. I would take a Cayenne GTS over the X5M any day, even though the GTS is supposedly a little bit slower. My seat of the pants observation I felt like the GTS was at least as fast as the and 50 but it felt so much better because it was so planted and stable.

The fit and finish in the Cayenne feels noticeably better however, you don’t get as many features for your money. If you equipped the Cayenne on the same level as the X5 models you’re going to pay significantly more for the Porsche. If I was going to buy one of these cars, I would sacrifice on some of the text features and take the GTS over the X5.
By any chance the M50i that you drove does not have DHP and have the air suspension? Because the DHP makes a lot of difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:18 PM   #24
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
The M 50 did not have tDHP.

I’m sure that would’ve made a big difference. The one I drove. Did have a lot of really nice options on it. It just did not have that one..

Well, the cayenne is not the first Porsche model that comes to mind when you think of the brand it clearly is a “real” Porsche just look at the badges all over it. The driving dynamics of that car made it feel like a sports car.

Please do not interpret my statement as bashing on BMW.. I own two of them, and I went to look at the X5’s because I was hoping that I would like it just as much as the Porsche.

I find the BMW to be a much better value proposition. I was just really surprised that I did not care for the X5M as much as the GTS….
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:27 PM   #25
Discogsus
Rep
Drives: F15 50i

I'm cross-shopping a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid against a 2020 X5 M50i, same price, similar warranty remaining, and while I loved driving the Cayenne ... the price difference hurts.
A similar spec 2019 X5 50i (w/ DHP) is $15K cheaper. (But no warranty)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:53 PM   #26
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I was cross shopping a new X5 M50 vs a used 2021 Cayenne GTS. I loved the dynamic driving experience of the Cayenne GTS. It drives like a sports car - the GTS felt sportier than the X5M I drove. I found a very low mileage CPO Cayenne… Porsche gives you +2 years of CPO coverage…so my car had 2 years left on the factory warranty, plus 2 more from Porsche. I added one additional year..so my “used” car has 5 years of bumper to bumper coverage.

I paid new M50 pricing for a $130k Cayenne GTS that was barely used. I absolutely love it - it is intoxicating to drive. Multiple times MORE fun than my M550…. And almost as fast…i candidly think the GTS is about as fast as the M550.. i have not drag raced them…but seat o the pants - they are on the same level. For an SUV the GTS flies. And the handling..is another world level vs either X5 i drove.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:33 AM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

BMW intentionally dulled its dynamics with the F15 and G05 models. I'd go as far as saying it's about as lousy driving a BMW as there as ever been. However tech, ergonomics, interior space, lease figures, etc. are all superior on the X5s. It's a great cruiser and best all-rounder in its segment.

But the Cayenne is your only choice if you enjoy driving...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 03:01 AM   #28
revanthmatha
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

New 2024 MY chayenne was released today. I 100% love the new porsche interior since they kept the physical knobs and switch. Unfortunately a base specd version comes out to 115k before taxes where as a fully loaded x50e comes out to 96k including tax.

The bmw lci x5 50e has more tech and faster hp/phev battery compared to the base porsche. I hear the driving dynamics are not so great especially compared to a porsche but let’s be honest a mid size suv is a daily driving family hauler and it does that well.

Last edited by revanthmatha; 03-30-2023 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 07:28 AM   #29
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

New photos of cayenne interior.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsch...tures-pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #30
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
So much better than the x5 Lci. Is unbelievable. Granted the cost is astronomical now and makes no sense relative to the x5 value but you can clearly see a brand cared about the integration of these new screens and also listened to their clients to keep the damn buttons!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 07:46 AM   #31
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Went through the same exercise when i traded in my x5 m50. What surprised me is that cayenne gts drove like much smaller car . They don’t publish internal dimensions but after some digging i found

X3
Headroom: 41.1 inches (1st) / 39.1 inches (2nd)
Shoulder Room: 57.6 inches (1st) / 56.0 inches (2nd)
Legroom: 40.3 inches (1st) / 36.4 inches (2nd)
X3 Passenger Volume: 101 cubic feet
X3 Cargo Space (All Seats Upright): 28.7 cubic feet
X3 Cargo Space (Rear Seats Flat): 62.7 cubic feet
Weight 4600 lb

Cayenne

4900 lb

Front leg. 40
Rear leg 36
Cargo 27

So cayenne is much closer to x3 then to x5. So driving x3m after gts it all made sense. X3 m handled much better vs porsche and is much faster . Ended up with x3m for half the price of gts
Appreciate 2
Bmwx5z117.50
      03-30-2023, 07:58 AM   #32
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Went through the same exercise when i traded in my x5 m50. What surprised me is that cayenne gts drove like much smaller car . They don’t publish internal dimensions but after some digging i found

X3
Headroom: 41.1 inches (1st) / 39.1 inches (2nd)
Shoulder Room: 57.6 inches (1st) / 56.0 inches (2nd)
Legroom: 40.3 inches (1st) / 36.4 inches (2nd)
X3 Passenger Volume: 101 cubic feet
X3 Cargo Space (All Seats Upright): 28.7 cubic feet
X3 Cargo Space (Rear Seats Flat): 62.7 cubic feet
Weight 4600 lb

Cayenne

4900 lb

Front leg. 40
Rear leg 36
Cargo 27

So cayenne is much closer to x3 then to x5. So driving x3m after gts it all made sense. X3 m handled much better vs porsche and is much faster . Ended up with x3m for half the price of gts
Cayenne has undeniably more rear leg room than both the x5 and x3. Ask anyone who owns both. Porsche doesn’t do a good job of publishing the dimensions. My guess is you pulled 36 from some 3rd party source that is incorrect.
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1316.50
slilley48.50
      03-30-2023, 08:12 AM   #33
AloneAlien
Private
Rep
Drives: Buick Enclave, Volvo XC 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
So much better than the x5 Lci. Is unbelievable. Granted the cost is astronomical now and makes no sense relative to the x5 value but you can clearly see a brand cared about the integration of these new screens and also listened to their clients to keep the damn buttons!!!
If you look closely, it does not have more buttons than X5 LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 08:27 AM   #34
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Interesting quote:

...Porsche's ploy to achieve "the right balance between digital and analogue elements...Ben Weinberger, spokesman for Porsche's SUV models, told Autocar that this balance was crucial to maintaining the Cayenne's global appeal: "Of course, if you ask a Chinese customer, they say, the bigger screens the better - more screens and bigger screens, more lights... But if you ask a customer in Europe, or the US they say: 'No, I like knobs. I don't like this touchy stuff'."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...18-april-debut
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #35
23109VC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I still have my F15 X5. I have had the X5 and Cayenne GTS side by side. Dimensions are similar but different. X5 is taller when you view them from the outside, but it is not “bigger”. Cayenne is lower and perhaps a bit wider.

I have three kids - all late teens or young adults. They fit in the back of my 5 series but they say it’s “tight”. They fit in the back of the X5 fine.

Last weekend we had a chance to take the Cayenne GTS on a one hour drive with all three in the back. They all commented there is quite a bit MORE room in the back of the Cayenne compared to the X5 - both legroom and shoulder room. So having owned both - and putting real people in the backseat of each - three adult sized kids fit better in the Cayenne.

I have sat in the back of the Cayenne myself and I do think there is more legroom compared to my F15 X5. Enough that it is noticeable.

I have not tried to load up the back with luggage for a trip - so perhaps the rear cargo area is marginally smaller?? It looks similar to the X5. I got my Cayenne with roof rails so I can add cross bars and put by Thule box up there if that is an issue for road trips.

Both cars are great - my X5 was a far less expensive car. If I was purely shopping based on $$ / value - the X5 is a better buy. As I said earlier, I am not bashing the X5 - it is an awesome car and I still have mine. The Cayenne is not a better “value”, but it is a better car for how it drives, if you value sporty driving.
Appreciate 2
Mattl0806990.50
slilley48.50
      03-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #36
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Cayenne has undeniably more rear leg room than both the x5 and x3. Ask anyone who owns both. Porsche doesn’t do a good job of publishing the dimensions. My guess is you pulled 36 from some 3rd party source that is incorrect.
Cayenne's rear legroom is no doubt at least 2-3 inches more than X5. Plus, Cayenne's rear seats slides (3-4 inches) and tilts.

X5 has a deeper trunk but the rear seats are fixed. You can slide the seats forward in Cayenne to make more trunk space if needed.

Cayenne exterior dimensions are overall shorter and lower than the X5. I was surprised by that when I parked them next to each other in the garage.
Appreciate 1
Mattl0806990.50
      03-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #37
PandaSPUR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneAlien View Post
If you look closely, it does not have more buttons than X5 LCI
Theres that whole row of toggle buttons. I'm assuming they're either an up/down adjustment (i.e. for temperature) or up and down are two separate feature toggles.

Definitely better than the X5 LCI.
Appreciate 1
cptcolo103.50
      03-30-2023, 09:55 AM   #38
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

With great new LCI, comes with great price increases. That's Porsche's motto.

The pictures are not standard features.
As if the current one is not expensive enough. With LCI, only Base model gets V6, the rest are V8s. Price accordingly....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #39
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Theres that whole row of toggle buttons. I'm assuming they're either an up/down adjustment (i.e. for temperature) or up and down are two separate feature toggles.

Yes. Those are temp, fan speed and AC on/off/sync toggles. Those in itself are more than iD8 has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #40
PandaSPUR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
With great new LCI, comes with great price increases. That's Porsche's motto.

The pictures are not standard features.
As if the current one is not expensive enough. With LCI, only Base model gets V6, the rest are V8s. Price accordingly....
Kinda makes sense, they have their Macan as the "entry level" Porsche now anyway.

I wonder if they've also noticed and become tired of all the old and badly maintained base model Cayennes rolling around.. Prior to actually researching a Cayenne, my impression was basically people bought them just to say they have a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #41
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I still have my F15 X5. I have had the X5 and Cayenne GTS side by side. Dimensions are similar but different. X5 is taller when you view them from the outside, but it is not “bigger”. Cayenne is lower and perhaps a bit wider.

I have three kids - all late teens or young adults. They fit in the back of my 5 series but they say it’s “tight”. They fit in the back of the X5 fine.

Last weekend we had a chance to take the Cayenne GTS on a one hour drive with all three in the back. They all commented there is quite a bit MORE room in the back of the Cayenne compared to the X5 - both legroom and shoulder room. So having owned both - and putting real people in the backseat of each - three adult sized kids fit better in the Cayenne.

I have sat in the back of the Cayenne myself and I do think there is more legroom compared to my F15 X5. Enough that it is noticeable.

I have not tried to load up the back with luggage for a trip - so perhaps the rear cargo area is marginally smaller?? It looks similar to the X5. I got my Cayenne with roof rails so I can add cross bars and put by Thule box up there if that is an issue for road trips.

Both cars are great - my X5 was a far less expensive car. If I was purely shopping based on $$ / value - the X5 is a better buy. As I said earlier, I am not bashing the X5 - it is an awesome car and I still have mine. The Cayenne is not a better “value”, but it is a better car for how it drives, if you value sporty driving.
Thanks for this info. I've been seriously considering a Cayenne for my next family hauler, so with 2 toddlers in car seats for the rear, that extra room would be great. Might even be able to fit an adult between the 2 car seats if there's that extra bit of room as well.

I am curious about the Cayenne coupe in terms of rear leg room and cargo space though. Any experience with those models?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #42
AloneAlien
Private
Rep

Quote:

Well, if you line up buttons in X5 LCI, you will have pretty much the same. Just in X5 LCI they are distributed more sparsely on the panel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 12:53 PM   #43
PandaSPUR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneAlien View Post
Well, if you line up buttons in X5 LCI, you will have pretty much the same. Just in X5 LCI they are distributed more sparsely on the panel
I assume you're talking about the various drive modes, auto hold, etc buttons around the shifter toggle switch on the LCIs?

Porsche moves a lot of that to the wheel and wheel stalks. That little round thing in the lower right quadrant of the wheel for example is the drive mode selector.

Looks like the new Cayenne has hardware buttons for at least changing the temperature and fan speed. And then there are dedicated touch buttons for other HVAC controls. I don't see how the X5 LCI has more buttons, hardware or otherwise.

All that aside, I'm probably still going to get a X6MC LCI instead of a Cayenne Coupe for a variety of other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:29 PM   #44
AloneAlien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looks like the new Cayenne has hardware buttons for at least changing the temperature and fan speed.
Just a side note. I have a car with all the hardware buttons on the middle panel. My wife's more recent Volvo has the controls on the touch screen in the dashboard.
Surprisingly I have found that using touch screen while driving for me is more convenient - I virtually don't need to take my eyes from the road, as the touch screen is noticeably higher than central panel of the car. No mater now I try to learn, it still take more effort for me to locate correct physical button without looking at it in the central panel. Well, I can learn to feel the console with my hand, count buttons in my head and finally find the correct one, and use it. But it is really more frustrating than using touch screen located in the field of view without taking your eyes from the road. For me the touch screen in the dashboard noticeably more accessible and convenient than hardware buttons on the central console. Well, may be I am getting old and try to drive more safe
Appreciate 0