BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
AntonioA
Mexico
Rep
Drives: -

Day lights

After my problem with airbags, new version was uploaded in my car 7/2019.39 but now my car has front but also day rear lights anyone noticed the same?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I noticed that, I simply hit "off" then "auto" and the symbol went away
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
double post
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
AntonioA
Mexico
Rep

That doesn't work for mine, any one?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioA View Post
That doesn't work for mine, any one?
try hitting the dog light button then turning off the fog lights I also did that so one of the two fixed it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
After my problem with airbags, new version was uploaded in my car 7/2019.39 but now my car has front but also day rear lights anyone noticed the same?
I'm not understanding or clear what the issue is...do you not want the daytime running lights (front and/or rear) illuminated...or do you not want the light illuminated on your cluster on...or do you not know why that light is illuminated?

Perhaps my confusion is based on my perspective of a 2013 f06...when that light is illuminated it indicates that the side lights are on. The symbol is explained in my owners manual as indicating manually turning the side lights (or the DRLs) on. And if I look at my light switch...that symbol is printed on the switch to indicate that the side lights are on (see #5 in the pic below). It also illuminates in the cluster if I have the AUTO headlamps turned on...or if I press the fog light switch (which turns on the headlights, too) and the headlights turn on.

If you don't want your daylight running lights illuminated (front and/or rear) you can turn those off in iDrive (its probably under LIGHTING). If you don't want that symbol illuminated on your cluster, then turn your headlights to the OFF position because if you have AUTO headlights turned on or you turn the headlight switch to the side light or low beam position to manually turn them on...that symbol will illuminate in the cluster.

And if you're in AUTO mode (headlight)...anytime the lights turn on, that symbol illuminates to let you know your lights are on.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
I'm not understanding or clear what the issue is...do you not want the daytime running lights (front and/or rear) illuminated...or do you not want the light illuminated on your cluster on...or do you not know why that light is illuminated?

Perhaps my confusion is based on my perspective of a 2013 f06...when that light is illuminated it indicates that the side lights are on. The symbol is explained in my owners manual as indicating manually turning the side lights (or the DRLs) on. And if I look at my light switch...that symbol is printed on the switch to indicate that the side lights are on (see #5 in the pic below). It also illuminates in the cluster if I have the AUTO headlamps turned on...or if I press the fog light switch (which turns on the headlights, too) and the headlights turn on.

If you don't want your daylight running lights illuminated (front and/or rear) you can turn those off in iDrive (its probably under LIGHTING). If you don't want that symbol illuminated on your cluster, then turn your headlights to the OFF position because if you have AUTO headlights turned on or you turn the headlight switch to the side light or low beam position to manually turn them on...that symbol will illuminate in the cluster.

And if you're in AUTO mode (headlight)...anytime the lights turn on, that symbol illuminates to let you know your lights are on.
Completely different on the G05. My DRLs are still on with that light off that he posted. I'll have to see what that corresponds to
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Completely different on the G05. My DRLs are still on with that light off that he posted. I'll have to see what that corresponds to
It's hard to describe because it comes on for various reasons...but I have DRLs activated and during broad daylight...my DRLs are on but that little green "sidel light" icon is NOT illuminated in my cluster.

It only comes on when the AUTO headlight system turns on the sidelights/headlights...like dawn, or in the morning when the sun is still low in the horizon...or if I drive into a tunnel....then again at dusk. But again, in broad daylight with my DRLs on...that little green light is not illuminated. It only comes on when the side lights and or headlights are illuminated either automatically or by me (like hitting the fog light button which turns on the headlights).

Post back your experience...I'm thinking they're probably going to be similar to mine if you have DRLs and AUTO headlights activated. That little green icon will probably illuminate when your sidelights/headlights/foglights illuminate.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
AntonioA
Mexico
Rep

Since I bought it in March, front daylight were on and I only can turn them of via iDrive.. after the actualization I now have front and rear day lights and green light appear I can turn them off only by iDrive. Lights continue working auto as usual in tunnels, or at night. Kind of messy but I guess I'm the only one having this "issue"
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
It's hard to describe because it comes on for various reasons...but I have DRLs activated and during broad daylight...my DRLs are on but that little green "sidel light" icon is NOT illuminated in my cluster.

It only comes on when the AUTO headlight system turns on the sidelights/headlights...like dawn, or in the morning when the sun is still low in the horizon...or if I drive into a tunnel....then again at dusk. But again, in broad daylight with my DRLs on...that little green light is not illuminated. It only comes on when the side lights and or headlights are illuminated either automatically or by me (like hitting the fog light button which turns on the headlights).

Post back your experience...I'm thinking they're probably going to be similar to mine if you have DRLs and AUTO headlights activated. That little green icon will probably illuminate when your sidelights/headlights/foglights illuminate.
DRLs are on always, provided they are selected to be on in idrive. They have nothing to do with that little green light, which tells you when the headlights are on. You'll find they go on and off, if you have them set to auto, because of lighting conditions outside the car. (They'll go on in a tunnel, for example, and go off when you emerge back into the light.)

Before 2013 or so, all BMW DRLs activated the front and rear lights but this changed for some reason in 2013 to be front only. I remember asking about it at the time and I was told it was some sort of EU regulation. I was very upset about this at the time.

I got my G05 updated to the .39 version of idrive last month and was pleasantly surprised to find DRLs now, once again, include tail lights. Not sure why but it's a positive development as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
Before 2013 or so, all BMW DRLs activated the front and rear lights but this changed for some reason in 2013 to be front only....
I got my G05 updated to the .39 version of idrive last month and was pleasantly surprised to find DRLs now, once again, include tail lights. Not sure why but it's a positive development as far as I'm concerned.
I think this is country specific as well.
For example in Canada, you cannot turn off DRLs.
And starting from 2021, tail lights have to be turned on as well; as well measures to prevent any cars driving in the dark without lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I think this is country specific as well.
For example in Canada, you cannot turn off DRLs.
And starting from 2021, tail lights have to be turned on as well; as well measures to prevent any cars driving in the dark without lights.
Especially if they are painted with Vantablack!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I didn’t know that the rear taillights are on now with the front halos if DRL is set to on. That’s a good feature. I use remote start and it’s and this makes it easier to confirm that the X5 started. Also seems like a good safety feature. Glad I did the July update.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
AntonioA
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I didn’t know that the rear taillights are on now with the front halos if DRL is set to on. That’s a good feature. I use remote start and it’s and this makes it easier to confirm that the X5 started. Also seems like a good safety feature. Glad I did the July update.
Hi Robby does your car also display the turn on lights on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #15
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Hi Robby does your car also display the turn on lights on the dash?
Hi Antonio,

If the DRLs are on, the little green icon is NOT illuminated in my cluster.

It only illuminates when my headlights go on. I use the auto setting.
Appreciate 0