09-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Automatic Parking, any how-to?

The documentation is as clear as mud, as usual. I think I follow the instructions by pressing the "P" icon to initiate parking, but it doesn't do anything at that point.
I thought it was supposed to ask me if I wanted to park blah blah at that point, but nothing....

Is there a /recent/ video? All I can find is for the old gen where you had to keep pressing the parking assist key.

Firmware of the car is 03 -- going to get it updated wednesday to the latest 07.
      09-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You turn the system on and cameras appear. Drive past a suitable parallel or perpendicular space and it will beep and offer an orange parking box over the space.

Select the space and follow the instructions. Hold your nerve, as it feels like it's going to crash it gets that close.

Appreciate 1
buze131.00
      09-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
thanks for that, that's more or less what I had watched before...

In my case, I press the "P" red space on the screen, and nothing happens. I tried stopping, putting the car in reverse, pressing that P icon again, nope, no luck.

Up to that point, the video is correct, I drive along, it "pongs" available spaces so that part is working. it's the "trigger" that seems to be missing...
      09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post

In my case, I press the "P" red space on the screen, and nothing happens. I tried stopping, putting the car in reverse, pressing that P icon again, nope, no luck.

Up to that point, the video is correct, I drive along, it "pongs" available spaces so that part is working. it's the "trigger" that seems to be missing...
Do you have your seatbelt on? It needs to be on (weird since many normally take seatbelts off to park, but whatever).
      09-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Do you have your seatbelt on? It needs to be on (weird since many normally take seatbelts off to park, but whatever).
Yup definitely. I very rarely drive without the belt...

I'm very techy as a person, so I suspect some sort of bug; normally I'm not the sort to resort to manuals (I did!) or online videos (I did!) and ask how to do the frigging thing on the forum (I did!) :-)
      09-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You have to have your foot on the brake when pressing it. The timing is awkward and can cause issues but it normally warns you on screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post

I have the same experience X5 2019, click P and nothing happens. I will try next time and see if keeping the foot on break (I'm sure I did) will make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

How about rebooting iDrive 7 OS?! Press and hold the volume button for over 20 seconds. let it reboot then try again...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
How about rebooting iDrive 7 OS?! Press and hold the volume button for over 20 seconds. let it reboot then try again...
You should stop completely before pressing the Red parking area in the screen. Once completely stopped black/grey border appears around the red parking area in the screen that's when you need to press it and let the car take over. It took few trials for me but now works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:07 AM   #10
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
You should stop completely before pressing the Red parking area in the screen. Once completely stopped black/grey border appears around the red parking area in the screen that's when you need to press it and let the car take over. It took few trials for me but now works like a charm.
Yes, I think it's having the brake applied that is key here. If that doesn't work there is a bigger issue.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      09-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
dobinn
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport

The US video is a little different to the UK.
I was struggling with it at first but it does work pretty much as described. I am in a 2019.
Park assist must be selected.
Drive past a space, it will alert to the space being suitable.
Apply foot brake
Press red square
It may ask depending on space ask if you want to reverse park or parallel park. Select and off it goes.
I used it to park a very tight space which required nerves of steel and a 6 point turn! Not sure I will use it in reality.
One other point was I was trying it on a very quiet road at first and it didn't seem to work as it didn't differentiate any spaces...
Appreciate 1
buze131.00
      09-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Automatic Parking, any how-to?

As OP mentioned the red parking space buttons on screen rarely seem to appear for me. I've gotten them maybe 2 out of 10 times.

Does anyone know if it will park based on the lines on ground, so for example an empty lot? It seems to work better if there are other cars parked in the lot. So far I've never gotten it to work when testing auto parking in empty parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #13
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontron View Post
As OP mentioned the red parking space buttons on screen rarely seem to appear for me. I've gotten them maybe 2 out of 10 times.

Does anyone know if it will park based on the lines on ground, so for example an empty lot? It seems to work better if there are other cars parked in the lot. So far I've never gotten it to work when testing auto parking in empty parking lots.
My understanding is that it's based on two objects (vehicles) and not the lines. Won't work in an empty lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
vr005
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

It will only auto park between 2 parked cars. It's quite aggressive and scary. It won't auto park if there is more than one space between the cars. It doesn't recognize the lines in an empty lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #15
E91toG05
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

you have to play with it several times before it gets comfortable to use. Once you get past the learning curve, it can be quite helpful.
Appreciate 0