BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39M

Hello all ... Has anyone noticed a crackling noise from the doors while driving in hot weather over bumps or while changing car level (getting out of an elevated drive way)??
I have 2019 40i(built in Nov 2018) and recently while it is getting hot in Toronto I notice the noise as if the doors are not well installed and they rub against the car cage!
I don't have any leaks and never experienced anything like that in my last 2 X5's .. Hope It is nothing major!
I appreciate your feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I think you mean bumps, but so far no noises like that from my May build.
Appreciate 1
Forrera24.50
      06-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrera View Post
Hello all ... Has anyone noticed a crackling noise from the doors while driving in hot weather over pumps or while changing car level (getting out of elevated drive way)??
I have 2019 40i(built in Nov 2018) and recently while it is getting hot in Toronto I notice the noise as if the doors are not well installed and they rub against the car cage!
I don't have any leaks and never experienced anything like that in my last 2 X5's .. Hope It is nothing major!
Not quite sure I would know what you mean by a crackling noise but when you mentioned ...noise as if the doors are not well installed and they rub against the car cage...in combination with... changing the level of the car on an elevated driveway, ...did you by any chance either wax the portion of the door jams that the door rubber gaskets seal against or apply any rubber protection (armor all, etc) on those door seals?
Appreciate 1
Forrera24.50
      06-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Yes, I get "itching" noises from what I think are the door seals. I had this problem on a Volkswagen 15 years ago and heard that BMWs were susceptible to this as well. I bought a product called "Gummipflege" that is meant to lubricate rubber surfaces. It worked on my old Volkswagen but unfortunately has not worked on my X5. Don't know if that means the sound isn't coming from those seals or what.

In general, I've been pretty disappointed overall with the noises this X5 makes.
Appreciate 1
Forrera24.50
      06-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Hello all ... Has anyone noticed a crackling noise from the doors while driving in hot weather over pumps or while changing car level (getting out of elevated drive way)??
Not quite sure I would know what you mean by a crackling noise but when you mentioned ...noise as if the doors are not well installed and they rub against the car cage...in combination with... changing the level of the car on an elevated driveway, ...did you by any chance either wax the portion of the door jams that the door rubber gaskets seal against or apply any rubber protection (armor all, etc) on those door seals?
Never waxed it, just normal wash but thanks for the input. I might take it to the dealership and hope they can duplicate the issue
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Yes, I get "itching" noises from what I think are the door seals. I had this problem on a Volkswagen 15 years ago and heard that BMWs were susceptible to this as well. I bought a product called "Gummipflege" that is meant to lubricate rubber surfaces. It worked on my old Volkswagen but unfortunately has not worked on my X5. Don't know if that means the sound isn't coming from those seals or what.

In general, I've been pretty disappointed overall with the noises this X5 makes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post

Hmm I used to get road noise and little rattling noise on the driver side door so I applied gummipflege(I used on all my previous bmw and it worked well) but in x5 G05 it made it very bad I start hearing lot of wind and road noise as well the air was slip through the seal.

Luckily a guy in the Canadian Tire told me to try the DuPont rubber saver and it's kinda magic all the problem gone so far.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      06-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Mine does this. Door seals. Rubber makes a scrunching noise when the vehicle flexes and the seals scrub. Many other cars have similar issues and their are a number treatments that can be used in the seals if it bothers you

Last edited by lumpydog; 06-25-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep

My dealer said it is windows seals and it will take 2 weeks to order from Germany, they asked me to pickup my car and schedule new time once they receive the windows seals!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Here's the product that others are recommending. I don't have my G05 yet, but my F80 occasionally gets creaky in a similar scenario (Changing level/putting torsion on the body by backing down a grade to a lower level) and I use the same thing they're recommending here to address it.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B004B8GTQG

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
Every post I've read says the Gummi Pflege Stift doesn't work no longer than a day or so. Then it comes back worse.
It will eventually return, but I definitely see better results than a day or so. Granted, my M3 is garaged all of the time, but still - I can go a 3-4 month stretch without it ever bothering me. I think it's important to clean the rubber first, maybe people aren't doing so. Distilled Water/90+% ISO mix, lightly dampen cloth and wipe both the door and body side rubber seals, done on the gentler side. Then gummi pflege using rubber shoe-polish like applicator pad, moisten all seals, both sides again. Let dry overnight, reapply another light coat.

seems to hold up for me so far, but maybe on the outdoor kept G05 I have a different result.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Simon.iv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 30d

Quote:
Hello all ... Has anyone noticed a crackling noise from the doors while driving in hot weather over bumps or while changing car level (getting out of an elevated drive way)??
Mine built nov 2018 also has crackling noise from driver door when it changing to winter and driving over bumps. But after a few months, it crackling sound goes away. But now I started to notice there is rattling sound above the brake (looks like some parts loosen when im driving over bumps, happen to me once every 2-3 days , not all the time).

In addition, road noise also an issue like the other posts in this thread has raised.

Gonna have my car service next month, so let see if these issues will be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Hi all,

I have taken my X5 to the dealer this week because of this same issue.
They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #13
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I'm in the same boat. It's been going on for about 6 months. I had it at the dealer a few months ago. They kept it for four days, lubricated the seals extensively, and then couldn't reproduce. Sound came back when leaving the dealership. I'm bringing it in again, this time to add the teflon tape. Not thrilled to hear that didn't solve it but honestly I didn't expect it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Not sure if we are talking about the same issue, but see this thread; it seems to have worked for me, at least for now...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post25240206
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
Hi all,

They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
Quote:
Hi all,

Best!
Hi again!
Got my X5 back from dealer today and door creaking is definitely gone! The textile tape (not teflon), was applied in the inside of the door panels in specific points where there was frictioning. The mechanic team knew exactly what to look for and where (so I was told).
Hoping my experience helps!
Best,
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #16
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
This is how it all started for me too. The final resolution was they bought the car back...seriously!
Did your replacement car arrive yet? Is it quiet?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #17
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Well, at least it looks like you will have it in the not too distant future; hopefully without sound effects.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Bianx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Same issue. Very annoying. If I touch the open window button and literally move the glass away from the seal, it stops.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #19
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep

I had the same issue and took it to the dealer, they replaced all 4 door seals and the noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #20
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Hi again!
Got my X5 back from dealer today and door creaking is definitely gone! The textile tape (not teflon), was applied in the inside of the door panels in specific points where there was frictioning. The mechanic team knew exactly what to look for and where (so I was told).
Hoping my experience helps!
Best,
Are you able to share the work order and what they did exactly. I started hearing some creaking noise in my car yesterday (and continuing today). It’s the first few days of being really cold since I got the car, so not sure if it’s related.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #21
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I had the same issue and took it to the dealer, they replaced all 4 door seals and the noise is gone.
They did the same for our X5 as well and that seem to take care of the issue as well.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #22
M3Comet
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92,328 F30,X5 3.0 G05

Quote:
Were the seals a new or improved design? I have the same issue, hoping the new seals will be an enduring solution rather than be okay for a few weeks then start making the noise again.
Appreciate 0