BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #23
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Looks terrible in pictures and videos. Maybe better in person?
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I'm wondering. I'm headed to DFW tonight, so if BMW of Grapevine still has that X5 with this trim in stock, I'll take a look this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'm wondering. I'm headed to DFW tonight, so if BMW of Grapevine still has that X5 with this trim in stock, I'll take a look this weekend.
Good news is they're right next to the airport
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:14 AM   #26
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll repost the writeup I just did in the X7 forum of my experience today with the trim and pictures:

Okay, did look at that one 2020 X5 identified with this particular trim. Big thanks to BMW of Grapevine, TX, for letting me poke around their lot, and sit in this vehicle for quite a while. The car, a 2020 Arctic Gray X5 M50i, with Black Full Merino leather (which I think is the best leather option to couple with this trim):

I spent a good chunk of time just sitting in the car, in various seats, trying to get comfortable with the trim and decide what I thought about it. And you know what? I can't decide. I thought I'd probably either love it or hate it right away, but I'm mixed.

Overall, I'm not overwhelmed. I wasn't sure if it would be bright and garish, as appeared in some pics, or muted and blended, as it looked in others. My impression, it's somewhere right in the middle. Subjectively, I found it to be neither beautiful (like I find the Individual light wood with silver effect), nor ugly.

The aluminum inserts don't jump out as being super bright, like the industrial aluminum cross-hatch plating we all think of. The aluminum bits aren't shiny, they're a little more gray. But the "wood" is also not shiny, nor really even a matted wood finish. Running your finger over the trim, it feels almost smooth, not textured as you might expect. And it feels almost "plastic-y", not really like wood.

One thing I found interesting, looking at it up close, it actually looks like multiple thin strips of material sandwiched together, alternating directions of the aluminum inserts, rather than one solid piece of wood with inlays. Observe:

Because it seems like pictures really vary on this trim and have difficulty capturing its true appearance, I took lots of photos of different parts, from different angles and zoom, and in the light and shade. Pictures were taken outdoors, in afternoon Texas sun, with an iPhone XS Max. This picture shows well, the appearance difference between direct sunlight on the piece on the right, and shade for the piece on the left:

I've always ordered all my Bimmers with aluminum trims, as I like the sporty feel that it adds to the interior. This will be the first aluminum offering on the X7, and I do like the sportiness that it adds. The aluminum would also match with the brushed-aluminum secondary trim around any of the X7 trim options. The addition of B&W audio (which this X5 did not have) would add even more metal to the vehicle interior. But I'm not overwhelmed. I don't think it's ugly, but I don't find myself sitting in the car, thinking "man, this really looks amazing!"

So I'm torn, waffling between this trim, and my other top choice, the Ash Grain Matte with Bronze Effect. The Bronze Effect trim does look great, to the point that it's one of the standard trims most often ordered by dealers on their stock cars.

The Aluminum Inserts would make for a unique vehicle. But because I'm waffling, and that the Aluminum Inserts also costs an additional $1,080, I'm currently leaning towards just sticking with the Bronze Effect.

As always, I hope this helps other people. But in the end, it's really a trim you have to see for yourself in-person, if you're considering ordering it. And I added the pic of the rainbows on the roofliner, as it's a bit cool getting those from the crystal shifter. (as long as they don't glint straight in your eye)

On this picture, observe how the thin strips don't actually go straight across the top of the center vents, as I thought they would. I assumed they're be purely horizontal there in the middle. But see how the contour of the dashboard actually causes the strips to angle a bit upwards on the right side. This surprised me a bit. It's not sloppy, or really even a defect in any way. Probably just my OCD taking note of something small.

Last edited by Wild Blue; 09-22-2019 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 3
JustChris17423.00
SuprSi3.00
      09-23-2019, 12:34 AM   #27
Dargo72
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Here is the best picture I could find.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #28
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, BMW of Grapevine has now posted their pictures of the same vehicle here, including the trim:

https://www.bmwofgrapevine.com/new/B...40485011cb.htm
Appreciate 0