BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #45
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

sold my iphone x for a note 10 plus. iphone 11 doesn't make me feel like coming back.
      09-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #46
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
8 Plus user here...don't see a reason to upgrade yet. Next years model is supposed to be MUCH more tech heavy...will wait and see.
You know that's what people say every year
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
Vervain396.50
      09-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #47
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
You know that's what people say every year
I agree; especially in years that only introduce incremental upgrades.

5G is already confirmed in that model...that's enough to wait it out. Makes more sense from a "future proof" standpoint any way you cut it.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #48
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have an iPhone 6s and I, once again, don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

Besides, why on earth are they still selling iPhones with 64GB of memory? Just to show you a "low, introductory" price where you're then forced to yet again fork over more money just to get a measly 128GB or 256GB? F'in idiots.
Same boat here. I think I'm just gonna replace my battery in my 6S and hold it 1 more year till the "S" year models come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Considering going back to a flip phone.
https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/n...310-3g#details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I still have my Motorola V3 Razr. I should pull it out - wonder if I can get a sim for it and I wonder if it still works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I agree; especially in years that only introduce incremental upgrades.

5G is already confirmed in that model...that's enough to wait it out. Makes more sense from a "future proof" standpoint any way you cut it.
I used to upgrade every other year. Original iPhone > 3GS > 4S > 5S > 6S.

Now I've had the 6S for 4 years. Perfect condition still, it's just the battery that's not doing so hot. I don't like the size increases - imo the 4S was the perfect size. The smallest of the new generations are still larger than my current 6S. Given that I think I'm going to make this phone last another year at least, future proofing habits from here on out are coming into play - if I keep the 11S Pro or whatever (when it comes out in another year) for 5 years till 2025, what're things going to look like by then?

5G comes with its own set of security / risk challenges hardly anyone is talking about vs "zomg speeeeeeed". My current usage is sitting at 1.0 TB cellular data with 2.4 GB roaming for the current period (20 days, 13 hours). I rarely use Wi-Fi at all. So believe me, I'm eager for it too, but security is something of a pet peeve of mine and I don't understand how it isn't a higher priority for everyone else given constant high profile leaks from the most basic attackers. Stuff like Facebook storing passwords in a friggin rich text file for example. I think InfoSec should be a required part of the curriculum for CS, SE, and EE majors. As it stands, it's an elective in most places.

As apps have exploded onto the marketplace; as phones gain new cameras, features, and broadcast/receive capabilities; as speeds increase and dependency on 5G for more and more infrastructure / IoT / etc increases; you'd better believe we'll be seeing a hell of a lot more vulnerabilities popping up faster than we can fix them unless we start training engineers to think security NOW.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
King Rudi13152.00
      09-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #49
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I've owned every iPhone made within a week of its release. While I dislike the actual process of transitioning to a new device, I like knowing I have the best phone available for me (someone deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem). Some people complain about the price, but it's not that expensive after trading in a year-old device; plus look at the amount of time we use these things... Phones are very inexpensive considering usage vs cost compared to the vast majority of other things we spend money on... like -cough- BMWs.

For me I always appreciate the improved processor. I couldn't believe how much better my Xs is compared to the X I had before. Just the facial recognition improvement alone was probably worth it to me.

USB-C would potentially be nice, but there is a significant downside for me. I have tons of lightning cables. I'd have to buy like 6-8 new cables! I use 2 in my car alone, plus 2 in my backpack, 2 at my desk, 1 in my (cart) golf bag and one by my sofa. Then there's the issue of my AirPods and iPad still using Lightning cables! I'm in no rush fir USB-C. What's the appeal anyway?
      09-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #50
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

2 lighting cables in my car
2 at my desk at work (keyboard + phone)
1 at my bed
1 for my couch
1 for my kitchen
1 for my home desk
1 for mobile/motorcycle.

9 cables total. Plus the chargers...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:58 AM   #51
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

5g is really the thing missing here however the improved battery life is huge; honestly not sure what expectation people have for a phone these days.. i don't even use half of the nonsensical features... also agree that face id to this day is one of the most frustrating features in existance.
      09-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
...also agree that face id to this day is one of the most frustrating features in existance.
I honestly don't understand this sentiment. My family just had this conversation over Labor Day weekend, and it was universally loved. Personally I find Face ID works way better than fingerprint. Not only is the conditions of your hands (dirty; gloves; etc) not an issue, but Face ID doesn't require any specific action. You're already looking at the phone; things using Keychain Access (authorizing an online payment, or logging into a site) happens absolutely seamlessly.
🤷🏻*♂️
      09-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #53
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
USB-C would potentially be nice, but there is a significant downside for me. I have tons of lightning cables. I'd have to buy like 6-8 new cables! I use 2 in my car alone, plus 2 in my backpack, 2 at my desk, 1 in my (cart) golf bag and one by my sofa. Then there's the issue of my AirPods and iPad still using Lightning cables! I'm in no rush fir USB-C. What's the appeal anyway?

This is the same situation as the 30 pin to Lightning transition, and the 3.5mm jack to wireless transition. Apple customers, of all people, are no strangers to changing to adapt to the new standards Apple enforces. Case in point: The Macbook Pro is all USB-C now, as well as the new iPad Pro.

Both Apple and non-Apple customers were up in arms over the MacBook Pro transition, citing the need for endless dongles. But once the water settled, most went through with the transition because their desire for a MacBook outweighed their displeasure to buy the dongles/adapters.

I'm making the case for USB-C because for one, it consolidates Apple's product lineup to 1 cable, from power to connectivity. USB-C isn't going anywhere, but Lightning's days are numbered, and Apple themselves know this. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to put them on the MBP and iPad Pro.

If Apple had put USB-C on the iPhone X from the start, it would have been ready for the updated MacBook Pro out of the box. Then nobody would have complained about the need for a USB-C to Lightning adapter. It shows a vision, and USB-C would have been very well received on the X in particular, since it was supposed to be the breakthrough device that paved the way for the future of iPhones. I can understand the frustration of transitioning from USB-A to USB-C. But with this mindset, let me ask you, why transition twice (Lightning/USB-A -> L/USB-C, then again from L/USB-C -> USB-C/USB-C) when you can do it once and get it over with? Do it once, do it right.

Another reason is data transfer speeds. According to this somewhat outdated article:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/m...tning-3666439/

iPhones are getting 480 Mb/s on data transfer, and the iPad Pro is 5 Gb/s. If USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 is utilized, you can read 10 Gb/s, 20x faster on iPhone and 2x faster on iPad Pro. I need to double check the spec of the latest iPad Pro, but I'd guess it's 3.1 Gen 2.

In addition, if the USB-C ports are Thunderbolt ports, you can use the iPhone to drive high resolution/refresh rate displays while charging the device, just like the new iPad Pro, effectively making the iPhone your one and only computer you need to accomplish absolutely everything, as long as the right application is there for it, and is developed for desktop experience. This would also make the iPhone's larger storage capacity a much bigger deal, since you could effectively replace all your computers with just the phone. The really computation-intensive tasks will still need more horsepower, but for your average white collar worker who uses MS office and web apps, this could be huge.

TL;DR: With one switch to USB-C/Thunderbolt, you can increase data transfer speeds, charge all your Apple and non-Apple devices with the same charger, drive external displays and use your iPhone as your only necessary computer in the average use case. If that doesn't convince you or at least make you appreciate the benefit of USB-C, then I don't know what can. If Apple makes the switch and can think a little bigger, given the market share already, the iPhone could be a freaking powerhouse of a device if Apple wants it to be. They've already done it with the newest iPad Pro - just need to follow up with the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #54
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I honestly don't understand this sentiment. My family just had this conversation over Labor Day weekend, and it was universally loved. Personally I find Face ID works way better than fingerprint.
I agree. With older phones, I had to re-enroll my fingerprints every few months because they were having a harder time reading them for some reason.....

09-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #55
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Everyone saying they want 5G I guess don't realize that probably 99% of the country wouldn't have a good 5G signal. 5G right now is pure marketing and is still more than a few years away. Plus 5G destroys battery life and phone manufacturers are still obsessed with thin phones and haven't realized consumers would likely prefer more battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Same boat here. I think I'm just gonna replace my battery in my 6S and hold it 1 more year till the "S" year models come out.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/n...310-3g#details

I used to upgrade every other year. Original iPhone > 3GS > 4S > 5S > 6S.

Now I've had the 6S for 4 years. Perfect condition still, it's just the battery that's not doing so hot. I don't like the size increases - imo the 4S was the perfect size. The smallest of the new generations are still larger than my current 6S. Given that I think I'm going to make this phone last another year at least, future proofing habits from here on out are coming into play - if I keep the 11S Pro or whatever (when it comes out in another year) for 5 years till 2025, what're things going to look like by then?

5G comes with its own set of security / risk challenges hardly anyone is talking about vs "zomg speeeeeeed". My current usage is sitting at 1.0 TB cellular data with 2.4 GB roaming for the current period (20 days, 13 hours). I rarely use Wi-Fi at all. So believe me, I'm eager for it too, but security is something of a pet peeve of mine and I don't understand how it isn't a higher priority for everyone else given constant high profile leaks from the most basic attackers. Stuff like Facebook storing passwords in a friggin rich text file for example. I think InfoSec should be a required part of the curriculum for CS, SE, and EE majors. As it stands, it's an elective in most places.

As apps have exploded onto the marketplace; as phones gain new cameras, features, and broadcast/receive capabilities; as speeds increase and dependency on 5G for more and more infrastructure / IoT / etc increases; you'd better believe we'll be seeing a hell of a lot more vulnerabilities popping up faster than we can fix them unless we start training engineers to think security NOW.
I agree with your sentiment about having proper security. But making INFOSEC type classes mandatory for various majors in college is not going to solve the problem.

The problem is putting in any security is not something that falls into a C level person's ROI financial report. As far as many managers are concerned, INFOSEC is just an IT hole money gets thrown into without any monetary gains/benefit. Until laws are structured which hits corporations hard when they don't practice proper security, you're going to continually see more and more of these breaches. I would also go as far as holding individuals criminally liable under certain circumstances; the Equifax breach comes to mind here.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #57
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Gigantic waste of money, overpriced as hell.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      09-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #58
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Gigantic waste of money, overpriced as hell.
It's really amazing how the XR for $600 now makes it somewhat reasonable when you compare it to the 11 lineup.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17346.00
      09-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #59
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

My wife and I are still on the 6, with hers having serious battery problems. So with the 6 not being supported by iOS 13 the time has finally come to get something new.

Don't care about 5G, as it will be years before it is in the mainstream and the vast majority of our data usage is via WiFi.

What I do hate is that I have to pay more for smaller phone. My wife especially hates how big phones have gotten and would be more than happy with the lower end iPhone 11 (XR replacement), but will likely end up paying $300 more just to get the smaller 11 Pro (XS replacement).

That said, if we can get reasonable deals on the XS I'll be happy to go that route. But Apple discounts tend to be a joke. We keep phones for 4-5 years, so in my book a year older phone needs to be the equivalent of a year less in cost ($200-250).
      09-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #60
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
My wife and I are still on the 6, with hers having serious battery problems. So with the 6 not being supported by iOS 13 the time has finally come to get something new.

That said, if we can get reasonable deals on the XS I'll be happy to go that route. But Apple discounts tend to be a joke. We keep phones for 4-5 years, so in my book a year older phone needs to be the equivalent of a year less in cost ($200-250).
I was looking at XR black/128 last week. Even with trade-in of 6 it was $799. Just now, it's $589 from Apple.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #61
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I was looking at XR black/128 last week. Even with trade-in of 6 it was $799. Just now, it's $589 from Apple.
$589 with trade in or without trade in?
      09-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #62
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I bought my iPhone6 64GB for $299 plus their leather case on launch day. The phone has worked as expected except for the $30 replacement battery. It’s been five years and it’s still in great shape but I won’t be able to run the new iOS on it. I watched the event and didn’t hear 5G mentioned, it was all about the camera, battery and tough new glass enclosure. If I’m going to spend $1000 on a new phone, I would like it not to become obsolete for a year or two. I realize that 5G will not be fully rolled out for a while but it’s got to make sense to me to drop a grand on a phone. It’s just a phone!
      09-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #63
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No 5G no care. I'll keep my X until they get with the program.
Even if the phone is capable of 5G USA network sucks big time
I'm with sprint "only because it's cheap"
Some areas are Dog shit slow some are ok just ok
So 5G capable phone doesn't mean shit to me in my area
      09-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #64
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Quote:
Now. I'm not buying my phone for today, I usually keep them two or three years. I'd imagine Austin will be covered in 5G by then.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #65
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Quote:
Now. I'm not buying my phone for today, I usually keep them two or three years. I'd imagine Austin will be covered in 5G by then.
Same here keeping my IPhone X for now
      09-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #66
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
$589 with trade in or without trade in?
With 6, good shape. Everything works, no cracks or scratches. Last week the 6 was worth $100, today only $60.
Appreciate 0