BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Bianx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Acceptable or not?

I have a 3.0d M-Sport with the M-sport exhaust system (code 01MA) and the left exhaust pipe is lower and further out than the right one. I noticed it after a couple of weeks of ownership and after checking similar cars online, many seem to be the same. See picture. Once you see it, you can't un-see it and its annoying. I also do not believe that BMW would have designed it that way.

Should I accept this for what it is or should I take it up with dealer?

The funny part is that the pipes are different shapes too, with the left one being pretty round and the right one slighty oblong. Could this be something do to with the way they get a diesel to sound so good? I know that it has some sort of device on the pipe near the backbox to make it sound better, but different shape pipes?? i'm confused..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

My 3.0d MSport is lower on the left as well. Never noticed it before.

You can ask if by design, and if not, and it bothers you enough to leave it in the shop, get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Bianx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for reply and glad to see that I'm not alone with this. Seems so odd. Surely it would not have been designed that way. If it is out of the factory like that, I'm not going to start messing around with it just yet. its one month old and don't want to start pulling it apart. I just expected better from BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I just took a look at my X5 x40i. Both of the pipes are distinctly oblong and are hanging evenly in the chrome that surrounds them.

The pipes themselves are on hangers further back under the chassis. Because the hangers are further back even a slight difference in how they are attached is magnified by the time you get to the end of the pipes.

It would be worthwhile to go back to the dealer. It might be as easy as putting the car up on the lift and checking the hangers. Maybe just replacing them or jostling them can even up the pipes.

And who knows, there might be some kind of hidden damage on the parts of the chassis the hangers are attached to. It would be better to find out now if there was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianx View Post
Thanks for reply and glad to see that I'm not alone with this. Seems so odd. Surely it would not have been designed that way. If it is out of the factory like that, I'm not going to start messing around with it just yet. its one month old and don't want to start pulling it apart. I just expected better from BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Both pipes are annoying the crap out of me

I just can't get why they don't have the same pipes as in de F15/F16, but some round pipes with a fake piece around it that looks like crap. The car looks great but that is big turnoff
Appreciate 0