1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lightbulb GT5 Problem/Solution Thread

I thought it be kinda cool to have a thread dedicated to helping people that may be struggling at a certain point in the game. A lot of posts are showing up in the other threads but they aren't very organized.

So if you are having a hard time selecting a car for a race, setting a car up, managing a B-spec driver, etc. just post it up and we'll put our collective experience to good use and help you out.

Also, if you have a really good tip for a difficult part in the game, go ahead and post that up to.

Let's have some fun.
      12-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

A couple things that are holding me back right now...

How does one obtain a Nascar? I've completed the Jeff Gordon Nascar challenges, but only won with bronzes and didn't get a car Do I need to go for silver?

How did you guys win your first race cars? I can't complete Like The Wind in A-Spec with a Veyron because there are turns, lol.

I also saw something in another thread about using a '69 Camaro (coverted to a race car) or a fully modded Countach to win the Historic Race Car series. I'll have to try that

One tip that I can offer is to complete the GT All-Stars series (the second to last in the Expert races), I used the '07 Mazda Furai Concept fully modded. This car was won in B-Spec in the Mazda Miata race series. The competition has 600-800+ HP and the Mazda only has 570hp but it only weighs 675kg and takes any of those cars in the twisties

Last edited by kyleb350; 12-21-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
j1gzca
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 M3 / 17 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post

How does one obtain a Nascar? I've completed the Jeff Gordon Nascar challenges, but only won with bronzes and didn't get a car Do I need to go for silver?

How did you guys win your first race cars? I can't complete Like The Wind in A-Spec with a Veyron because there are turns, lol.

I also saw something in another thread about using a '69 Camaro (coverted to a race car) or a fully modded Countach to win the Historic Race Car series. I'll have to try that

One tip that I can offer is to complete the GT All-Stars series (the second to last in the Expert races), I used the '07 Mazda Furai Concept fully modded. This car was won in B-Spec in the Mazda Miata race series. The competition has 600-800+ HP and the Mazda only has 570hp but it only weighs 675kg and takes any of those cars in the twisties
I had to buy my Nascar race car (Montoya Chevy). I haven't done the Jeff Gordon challenge yet (not that interested, to be honest ).

I struggled on Like the Wind A-spec with a Motul GT-R and the Montoya Chevy until I had enough credits to buy the Peugeot 908 LM car. Once I had that car, Like the Wind (Indy) became my ATM race.
      12-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Like the Wind

Indy - I used a Corvette ZR1 with the Race Mod done to it. Then do whatever tuning parts you can get to increase the hp, max out the downforce, and use soft slicks and you should be golden. That race was a cakewalk after that.

The second race, I think I used my 1200hp Veyron, low suspension, stage 3 weight reduction. Slow down for the turns, you shouldnt need to take them hot, you'll win the race by miles.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:

I've spent an insane amount of effort testing and playing with this stuff, so I can answer these nicely I think (same problems).

NASCAR is achieved via Gold, I'm not sold the car you get is the best out there, so buying one isn't a bad idea. but you do get a free one. Have to be GOLD in all events. gold is actually easy....here's a hint, there's a bug in the game, the expert series keeps ASM on, bypass this by setting ABS to 0.

Like the wind is cake with the Furai (right?), I'm 99% sure that's why I used, but I'm confused why you wouldn't have used it if you have it. Maybe I'm confusing races.

don't waste your time or money with the countach or any of the crap you read on the web, you'll have a lot of rage quitting.
Easy thing is to unlock the toyota 7, that's really all you actually need.

hope this helps Trust me it's the easiest way to win the places where you're getting hung up at
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I actually haven't tried Like the Wind with the Furai because of the low HP. Stock settings with 570hp gets me about a 205MPH top speed.

Have you guys developed more than one B-spec driver yet? I assume the purpose is for switching drivers during later races that are longer. I've run out of new races to run and level up on, so I think I'm just going to start developing another driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

This is all regarding A-Spec mode:

As I posted in another thread, the Jaguar XJ13 may become available for free in a few days (Dec. 24). This could be a solid car in the classic race. I'd hold out and see if we get the free DLC rather than waste time or money with the others. I believe there is a facebook application that allows you to win a code for the XJ13 as well by setting up grudge matches with friends. If we don't get the Jaguar, I'd probably try the 69 Camaro race conversion as I am hearing that it works easily from several others.

As for the all star series, I smoked the competition with the Toyota Minolta Race Car you earn by completing Like the Wind. To beat Like the Wind I used the gamestop preorder Race McLaren F1. I realize most people don't have this car, so I would go the Vette ZR1 racecar route if I had to do it again without the McLaren.
      12-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I actually haven't tried Like the Wind with the Furai because of the low HP. Stock settings with 570hp gets me about a 205MPH top speed.

Have you guys developed more than one B-spec driver yet? I assume the purpose is for switching drivers during later races that are longer. I've run out of new races to run and level up on, so I think I'm just going to start developing another driver.

trust me, it's worth it, furai and veyron combo is all you need, piece of cake. Make sure you mod up the furai though.

I have several b spec drivers, don't waste your time until you can piggy back them. When you're able to put 2 on a race, THEN put 2 on a race. This levels up driver #2 REAL quick.

The first endurance race i added a new driver (a 4th one), from the one race alone he jumped to level 10 , don't waste your time doing the little races to get experience for your new drivers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I have several b spec drivers, don't waste your time until you can piggy back them. When you're able to put 2 on a race, THEN put 2 on a race. This levels up driver #2 REAL quick.

The first endurance race i added a new driver (a 4th one), from the one race alone he jumped to level 10 , don't waste your time doing the little races to get experience for your new drivers
sweet tip. i'm already lovin this thread.
      12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
j1gzca
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
trust me, it's worth it, furai and veyron combo is all you need, piece of cake. Make sure you mod up the furai though.

True. My 3rd driver is now at a higher level than my first two drivers.

BTW, can we replace existing drivers? My 2nd driver is useless, too hot tempered and can't win a race. I'd like to get rid of him.
      12-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gzca View Post
True. My 3rd driver is now at a higher level than my first two drivers.

BTW, can we replace existing drivers? My 2nd driver is useless, too hot tempered and can't win a race. I'd like to get rid of him.

Select him from the driver list and select "Retire", it'll open up a spot.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I'd recommend not though, there's at least one or two races in which a hot headed driver is more needed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Regarding the NASCAR,

I was able to get gold in all the events (Advanced ones were a pain in the ass) and I got the '11 Denny Hamlin car. Get your oil changed the minute you get it and you'll already have a little advantage.

When you're in the Nascar races in Expert you have to do road races too. For that bump up your downforce and most importantly lower the gear ratios in your transmission. Lower the top speed to about 199 or so that way you can actually use your power coming out of the turns and you'll smoke everybody. It's what they do in real life too.

Also thanks for the Like the Wind advice, I fucking hate B-spec mode but I'll be giving that a try for the Furai.
      12-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
j1gzca
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Thanks, good to know that I can.

Quote:
I'd recommend not though, there's at least one or two races in which a hot headed driver is more needed
I just discovered that I can now have 5 drivers. I'll keep all my drivers for now and just fill up the two new spots.
      12-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
Regarding the NASCAR,

I was able to get gold in all the events (Advanced ones were a pain in the ass) and I got the '11 Denny Hamlin car. Get your oil changed the minute you get it and you'll already have a little advantage.

When you're in the Nascar races in Expert you have to do road races too. For that bump up your downforce and most importantly lower the gear ratios in your transmission. Lower the top speed to about 199 or so that way you can actually use your power coming out of the turns and you'll smoke everybody. It's what they do in real life too.

Also thanks for the Like the Wind advice, I fucking hate B-spec mode but I'll be giving that a try for the Furai.

yep I was just about to post the same thing about nascar, made a world of difference Just upped downforce, downed max speed, and made easy outta nowhere
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Awesome. I made my way threw the B-Spec races and finished all the Professional race series which gave me a Zonda R. I modded that up to do the Spec-A Like the Wind races and won a MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race car. So I am set for a while

Spec-B races give some tasty cars compared to their Spec-A equivalents
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:

Yep, creating F.Ferrari with the slider all the way into the Hot side, helped me win the Daytona Truck Race. Most was dumb luck by the front of the pack going 5 wide entering turn 3 on the final lap and my truck squeezing out in front. But hot-headed Mr Ferrari did it when Capt Slow J.May couldnt after 5 tries

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Spec-B races give some tasty cars compared to their Spec-A equivalents
This is probably the incentive to do these races. I wish there was an option to speed up the races (2x, 3x, etc.) like GT4. B-spec is just a pain in the ass to me, I'm not having any fun doing it. I'm spending more than I'm making because the crap drivers aren't intelligent/aggressive enough to pass in turns and hold leads.
      12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trip5 View Post
This is probably the incentive to do these races. I wish there was an option to speed up the races (2x, 3x, etc.) like GT4. B-spec is just a pain in the ass to me, I'm not having any fun doing it. I'm spending more than I'm making because the crap drivers aren't intelligent/aggressive enough to pass in turns and hold leads.
+1 besides this is a driving game, not a watch some stupid AI suck. I think it's really screwed up that they give you better rewards for not driving.

BTW I used the Camaro with the race mods for the historic races, and I even beat a 2J and Toyota 7 with it! Then I did the Laguna Seca race in the American GT race in expert, and I'm still trying to get something for the Indy race. Thanks so much for the tip guys.
      12-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
At least make the A-spec prize cars desirable, or ones that will be of substantial help further down the line. I've been awarded about 50 crap standard cars I will never use, most of which served no purpose in helping my career. oh well, we can sit here and criticize the game all day long. i'd rather be enjoying the fun aspects of it.

very awesome to hear the camaro worked for you. I don't think the free XJ13 will be of any use in the historic race as someone commented that chrome line cars do not have dates associated with them (another strange move on the part of GT). Looks like I'll be going the camaro route as well.
      12-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 besides this is a driving game, not a watch some stupid AI suck. I think it's really screwed up that they give you better rewards for not driving.

BTW I used the Camaro with the race mods for the historic races, and I even beat a 2J and Toyota 7 with it! Then I did the Laguna Seca race in the American GT race in expert, and I'm still trying to get something for the Indy race. Thanks so much for the tip guys.
FWIW, for the Indy race in the American GT series, I used a Cadillac Cien I won from the MR races series in B-spec.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:

did the camaro work for b spec too? that's the one I'm having problems with, damn B spec
Appreciate 0