BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #45
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchew 2020 View Post
Every car I have ever had I drove like I stole it from day one with not one issue. Sorry but im not buying the break in hype. If its going to break I want it to break while its under warranty!
How long do you keep your cars? Observing the break in period is predominantly for the longevity of the car. Like changing oil. If you plan on keeping your car past the warranty period probably want the engine and transmission to break in nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #46
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Every car I have ever had I drove like I stole it from day one with not one issue. Sorry but im not buying the break in hype. If its going to break I want it to break while its under warranty!
It's not "hype" it's commonly accepted amongst automotive engineers and mechanics the world over that engined need running in for optimum performance, longevity and durability.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      05-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #47
mattchew 2020
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
How long do you keep your cars? Observing the break in period is predominantly for the longevity of the car. Like changing oil. If you plan on keeping your car past the warranty period probably want the engine and transmission to break in nicely.
I put 20-30 thousand miles a year and keep them at least 3 years. I haven’t ever had an issue with any of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #48
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I put 20-30 thousand miles a year and keep them at least 3 years. I haven’t ever had an issue with any of them.
What type of "miles"? Around town stop and go? Freeway/Highway/Interstate?

The type of miles you put on a car also makes a big difference on engine reliability and longevity.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #49
mattchew 2020
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What type of "miles"? Around town stop and go? Freeway/Highway/Interstate?

The type of miles you put on a car also makes a big difference on engine reliability and longevity.
Mostly around Houston in all the stop and go rat race. Probably 8 road trips a year that are about 350 miles long each way.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #50
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Basic new vehicle break-in procedures are standard in the auto industry.
Guidelines are in the manual for a reason. They help a engine achieve long term reliability. Keeping a vehicle 3 years is not long term by any means. It is later owners that will deal with issues from a abuse during break-in. On reason I will NEVER buy a used vehicle - CPO or not. Lease turn-ins are probably the worst, as the "renters" don't really care.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      05-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #51
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Basic new vehicle break-in procedures are standard in the auto industry.
Guidelines are in the manual for a reason. They help a engine achieve long term reliability. Keeping a vehicle 3 years is not long term by any means. It is later owners that will deal with issues from a abuse during break-in. On reason I will NEVER buy a used vehicle - CPO or not. Lease turn-ins are probably the worst, as the "renters" don't really care.
I'm guessing that if launch control were horribly detrimental during break-in, BMW would disable the function.
Renting is cool sometimes. If my home were destined to be valued at 20% of its purchase price within 8 years, I would rent it too and put the funds to more productive use.
      05-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #52
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenB7 View Post
I'm guessing that if launch control were horribly detrimental during break-in, BMW would disable the function.
Renting is cool sometimes. If my home were destined to be valued at 20% of its purchase price within 8 years, I would rent it too and put the funds to more productive use.
Then again houses don't have break in periods. And I've been involved with family home rentals - the renters treat them like crap, exactly how most lease drivers do. As far as value, cars may depreciate, but can't exactly drive a colonial or split level right? And since a car is the 2nd biggest purchase most people make, logical to observe the mfg guidelines on break in I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #53
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenB7 View Post
They used to on some of the full M cars. My 2013 E92 didn't have it activated until after the 1200 mile run in.

That said they don't restrict the rev range either. I think there is a reasonable expectation from BMW that most of us are sensible enough to not rag the engine from cold or before it's run in. If people don't then fine it's their motor but don't moan if the engine has issues later on life.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #54
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Then again houses don't have break in periods. And I've been involved with family home rentals - the renters treat them like crap, exactly how most lease drivers do. As far as value, cars may depreciate, but can't exactly drive a colonial or split level right? And since a car is the 2nd biggest purchase most people make, logical to observe the mfg guidelines on break in I think.
Agreed that many- not all- renters don't adequately care for the place that they or their business occupy. Not all bad though- repairs are deductible and you get to keep any upgrades.

Disagree on any negative connotation about leasing cars. Nothing wrong with renting equipment that is devalued throughout its useful service life. Unless you really are going to use and repair throughout its ENTIRE life.

If you're purchasing a car or other asset with more stable values, then definitely I'd want to own (GT + Air Cooled Porches, older M cars, land, real estate, steel Rolex/Patek/etc).

IMO more often than not, lease vs own comes down to the asset being used/ acquired. I would place an X5 (picking one up for my wife) squarely in the lease category.
      06-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #55
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
They used to on some of the full M cars. My 2013 E92 didn't have it activated until after the 1200 mile run in.

That said they don't restrict the rev range either. I think there is a reasonable expectation from BMW that most of us are sensible enough to not rag the engine from cold or before it's run in. If people don't then fine it's their motor but don't moan if the engine has issues later on life.
I bet that in 99% of all cases, the car is in the hands of its 2nd or 3rd owner before the decreased longevity could possibly be an issue. Then BMW get to cash in again on repairs.

As a lifelong car enthusiast, I follow break-in procedure closely because IMO owning a fine car caries with it the added responsibility of keeping it in excellent condition for possibly generations to come.

That being said, I don't think an X5 is exactly an heirloom. My wife will probably beat the hell out of it for the duration of her lease and most will live a life like this; I'm positive BMW knows this and builds the capability of withstanding this into the car.
      06-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #56
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I also got the "drivetrain malfunction", dealer just made a software update and problem solved, no mechanical damage just pure electronics, get used to it.