BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
valkrien
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

BMW of Concord California refused to cover oil change

I took my 2020 X5 for it's first oil change at 5k miles. I paid out of pocket for the oil change as it was before the 10k miles included service. I always take my new BMW's in early for the first oil change for piece of mind due to new engine break in. I'm now at 10400 miles so I took it in for the scheduled oil change to get on the standard schedule. After the service I was told that BMW will not cover the oil change charge since it's too early for an oil change. I explained that I paid for the first one but this one should be covered and then every 10k miles after that. They became quite rude and refused to hand over the keys until I paid. After 10 minutes of back and forth I gave up and paid for it. Has anyone ever had the same experience? I'm planning on calling BMWNA and filing a complaint but wanted to get some feedback first.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I believe that is typical practice for most dealers out there. That being said I've never had push back from a dealer when I went in a bit early, but not 50% early like you did so I don't have direct experience with that. With my X5 and X3 they both had a recall and so the wife and I took them in for that but the dealer did everything at one time since we both were 2mths from the year mark but under 10k. X3 was at 8800 X5 at 6500ish. I've read on the forum before individuals going in early and paying and other say went in early didn't pay, so seems like dealers make their choices with the customers as they see fit. Maybe look for a different dealer? But book does state for none M first change is at 10k.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrien View Post
I took my 2020 X5 for it's first oil change at 5k miles. I paid out of pocket for the oil change as it was before the 10k miles included service. I always take my new BMW's in early for the first oil change for piece of mind due to new engine break in. I'm now at 10400 miles so I took it in for the scheduled oil change to get on the standard schedule. After the service I was told that BMW will not cover the oil change charge since it's too early for an oil change. I explained that I paid for the first one but this one should be covered and then every 10k miles after that. They became quite rude and refused to hand over the keys until I paid. After 10 minutes of back and forth I gave up and paid for it. Has anyone ever had the same experience? I'm planning on calling BMWNA and filing a complaint but wanted to get some feedback first.
To me, this sounds like your typical stealer, not one who values your business. Did you buy the car there or elsewhere. Certainly you would expect to pay for the oil change at your 5K mile mark but personally I would have expected the dealer to give you your free one at or around the 10K mark, after all, you prepaid for it when you bought your car.
Question: since you had it changed at 5K, why didn't you wait till 15K to bring it in for the change or talk with your dealer before the change as to how they were going to look at it?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Was the first service you had early recorded on the idrive schedule?

If so the issue you will have is that for the “free” service as part of any maintenance package the service light must be showing as due. Otherwise the dealer cannot claim for the work via BMW. Same with other associated items such as window wash.

In which case your next service is due at 15k in the eyes of the dealer.

If the 5k service wasn’t logged then disregard the above.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      05-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

That is a bad dealer/service dept. I paid out of pocket for first oil changes (around 5,000 miles) on all my BMWs, and never had them claim I had to pay for the 10,000 mile service. Definitely take it up with BMWNA, and I would suggest that, if possible, you find a different dealer to have service done.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

We bought our 3 Series from BMW of Concord in a relatively painless transaction but never use them for service. I hope that BMWNA is able to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
valkrien
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

Thank you for all of the advice. The service guy did say that because the service indicator wasn't showing a need for service that I would have to pay then. Still doesn't feel right to me though. I bought the X5 from BMW of Fremont, CA but moved so Concord was the closest. I prefer changing at 5k miles for peace of mind but if I continue to pay out of pocket for each 5k I'll never be able to use the free oil change it looks like
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Thank you for all of the advice. The service guy did say that because the service indicator wasn't showing a need for service that I would have to pay then. Still doesn't feel right to me though. I bought the X5 from BMW of Fremont, CA but moved so Concord was the closest. I prefer changing at 5k miles for peace of mind but if I continue to pay out of pocket for each 5k I'll never be able to use the free oil change it looks like
I did something similar. I took my new X7 in for an oil change and a tire rotation. They told me BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires. I told them to rotate them anyway.

They also told me that it was to early for an oil change and that if I wanted them to change the oil I would have to pay for it. They also said they would NOT reset the Oil Change reminder. I told them I wanted the oil change reminder reset so I would be in line for the next oil change. They said if I did that it would mess up other reminders which are tied to the oil change reminder. Apparently BMW, in their infinite wisdom, ties air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades and other service related items to the mileage based on the Oil Change Service Reminder.

The Service Advisor did say that if they didn't reset the service reminder I could bring the car in when the oil change reminder popped up and they would pay for the oil change at that time. Even though the reminder would pop up in approximately another 3000 miles. So, as others have stated, I had to pay for the early oil change but they've told me I won't have to pay for the next one when the oil change reminder comes up.

It sounds to me like they also reset your Oil Change reminder when you paid for the first oil change at 5K. I called around to other BMW dealers in my area and they all said that they would NOT reset the oil change reminder if it wasn't being displayed in the instrument cluster. They made the same claim that my dealer did about messing up the rest of the covered maintenance items. Sounds like you have a real crappy dealer.

Check your connected drive app on your phone under the "Info" tab. It will tell you how many miles before your next oil change is due. If it says around 4 to 6K miles then you have your answer. They reset the oil change reminder which they are apparently not supposed to do if it isn't displaying on the dash or through your key fob.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      05-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don’t get why people are getting oil changed at 5k outside of the warranted service schedule ? These are work horse SUVs. I don’t even change my M cars off-schedule now unless they’ve been tracked.

OP you’ll probably get fobbed off by BMW centrally I’m afraid as they will say you’ve deviated from the manufactures recommended servicing schedule unnecessary so they have no reason to offer for free.

Stinks I know but that’s the reality.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      05-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I don’t get why people are getting oil changed at 5k? These are work horse SUVs. I don’t even change my M cars off-schedule now unless they’ve been tracked.

OP you’ll probably get fobbed off by BMW centrally I’m afraid as they will say you’ve deviated from the manufactures recommended servicing schedule so they have no reason to offer for free.

Stinks i know but that’s the reality.
I don't see it that way. First off, yes I agree with you that you no longer need to be replacing the oil at the 3K, 5K miles as was common during our growing up years (well, us somewhat older people that is). However, the way I look at it is ...its my car, I'll have it changed when I want to as its doing no harm to change it early.

Ok, that aside, the issue I see in this is that the OP did in fact pay to have it changed at 5K and he also paid to have BMW change it at 10K when he bought his car with the advertised 10K oil change. Well, its now at 10K, time for BMW to hold up to their end of the bargain.

I think mitch57 may be onto something with the service indicator, so lets see what the OP comes back with on answering that question. However, the OP obviously has a shitty dealer in this case.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem is the dealers are franchised they aren’t BMW owned. The maintenance packages are universal from BMW hence being able to use at any franchise.

The dealers need the service due light to be showing in the idrive as this is logged on the key and submitted to BMW when you book the car in in order for them to get reimbursed for their service department doing the work.

Now the dealer could and should arguably be doing this 10k service as a gesture of goodwill if they did the 5k and know the specific background but by the book they sadly don’t owe the OP anything until the light is on.

OP did you request for the 5k to be recorded in the idrive?

I suspect BMW may come back with the stance that a) a 5k service wasn’t needed so irrespective of paying why did the OP deviate from the maintenance schedule underpinning the plan or b) the next service isn’t due now
til 15k and that is the one that will be free ?

Again I don’t agree with this at all just stating their potential legitimate stance.

Btw OP you could just wait til the light comes on at 15k as that is when the next interval will be for a due service if they logged your 5k (which is causing this stand off I believe). Your car will be absolutely fine on a 10k interval between services.

Last edited by Unit; 05-23-2020 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Problem is the dealers are franchised they aren’t BMW owned. The maintenance packages are universal from BMW hence being able to use at any franchise.

The dealers need the service due light to be showing in the idrive as this is logged on the key and submitted to BMW when you book the car in in order for them to get reimbursed for their service department doing the work.

Now the dealer could and should arguably be doing this 10k service as a gesture of goodwill if they did the 5k and know the specific background but by the book they sadly don’t owe the OP anything until the light is on.

OP did you request for the 5k to be recorded in the idrive?

I suspect BMW may come back with the stance that a) a 5k service wasn’t needed so irrespective of paying why did the OP deviate from the maintenance schedule underpinning the plan or b) the next service isn’t due now
til 15k and that is the one that will be free ?

Again I don’t agree with this at all just stating their potential legitimate stance.

Btw OP you could just wait til the light comes on at 15k as that is when the next interval will be for a due service if they logged your 5k (which is causing this stand off I believe). Your car will be absolutely fine on a 10k interval between services.
I think you are missing the other BIG point. BMW is NOT supposed to reset the oil change reminder UNLESS the instrument cluster OR the readings from the key fob state that the vehicle is due for an oil change. If the dealer didn't reset the oil change reminder after the first oil change the OP should be getting an oil change reminder at the current mileage on his vehicle.

IF the dealer did reset the oil change reminder then the dealer is at fault since they are instructed by BMW to NOT reset the oil change reminder until it pops up on the instrument panel or is read from the key fob. BMW won't reimburse the dealership unless these parameters have been met.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5893.00
      05-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #13
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Your car will be absolutely fine on a 10k interval between services.
I wouldn't be so confident of that. There is a lot of discussion online about how extended service intervals may be responsible for some of the reliability issues experienced with BMW engines, especially the turbo V8s. After the N63 had so many problems in its first generation BMW did reduce the oil change interval for that engine.

I will change the oil on the N63TU3 in my 2019 X5 every 7500 miles. I'll also change the transmission fluid and differential fluid and other "lifetime" fluids around 60K-80K miles if I still have the vehicle then.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:55 AM   #14
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I think you are missing the other BIG point. BMW is NOT supposed to reset the oil change reminder UNLESS the instrument cluster OR the readings from the key fob state that the vehicle is due for an oil change. If the dealer didn't reset the oil change reminder after the first oil change the OP should be getting an oil change reminder at the current mileage on his vehicle.

IF the dealer did reset the oil change reminder then the dealer is at fault since they are instructed by BMW to NOT reset the oil change reminder until it pops up on the instrument panel or is read from the key fob. BMW won't reimburse the dealership unless these parameters have been met.
Yes that’s a very good point and I hadn’t thought about that angle. Good luck OP, hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:39 AM   #15
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Just change it yourself?

I do all my own anyway, regardless of cost. I'd rather have piece of mind knowing that it was done correctly. I don't trust dealerships or mechanics. 90% of them are thieves, liars, blatantly incompetent, or all 3.

I did a writeup with pictures just a couple days ago in the maintenance forum. It's not hard.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Knowing BMW stealerships, i bet if you drain your "freshly" changed oil it will be black, like it was never changed.
Unfortunately as stated in post above mine, they're all 3, thieves,liars and incompetent.
      05-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

I like you opted to pay for a oil change at 5k, my dealership did it for 120$ and when I hit 10k the dealership did the BMW covered oil change without question. So I would fight them on this.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      05-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
I like you opted to pay for a oil change at 5k, my dealership did it for 120$ and when I hit 10k the dealership did the BMW covered oil change without question. So I would fight them on this.
Yup, I make sure the Service Manager knows my current and future BMW purchases are also directly connected to my service dept satisfaction. Before I signed my first purchase, I spoke to the dealership manger and explained some of the disappointing experiences I had with other manufacturers. I asked them how they would have handled the same circumstance. When you have the dealerships ear, they listen to their customers that buy a lot of vehicles. It’s the lower management staff that tries to get away with the crap. When these knuckleheads know you have the ear of the senior management and/or owner, things are smooth and pleasant.

It’s a luxury car catering to people that expect a luxury service. They have been spectacular in every way. These Metropolitan dealerships that don’t try to earn your business and run rogue needs a BMW intervention and retraining to get them focused on why and what they are doing. I have seen this same crap with Audi and Porsche dealerships. It’s the same management structure break down that goes unchecked. Oddly enough, this strategy of dealer expectations works for any brand as my Jeep Ram dealership has always giving me five star treatment.

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-24-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #19
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
It's all because of an algorithm on BMWNAs system. It has nothing to do with the dealership. If you wanted the free oil change unfortunately you had to ask them to not reset the oil indicator on the vehicle which is what it's tied to. My dealer informed me that they can waive the charge up to 2500 miles early. I'm in the exact same situation as I did a break in service that I paid for as well but didn't know to have them not reset the indicator.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      05-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #20
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
Yup, I make sure the Service Manager knows my current and future BMW purchases are also directly connected to my service dept satisfaction. Before I signed my first purchase, I spoke to the dealership manger and explained some of the disappointing experiences I had with other manufacturers. I asked them how they would have handled the same circumstance. When you have the dealerships ear, they listen to their customers that buy a lot of vehicles. It's the lower management staff that tries to get away with the crap. When these knuckleheads know you have the ear of the senior management and/or owner, things are smooth and pleasant.

It's a luxury car catering to people that expect a luxury service. They have been spectacular in every way. These Metropolitan dealerships that don't try to earn your business and run rogue needs a BMW intervention and retraining to get them focused on why and what they are doing. I have seen this same crap with Audi and Porsche dealerships. It's the same management structure break down that goes unchecked. Oddly enough, this strategy of dealer expectations works for any brand as my Jeep Ram dealership has always giving me five star treatment.
my local dealer is Autobahn out of Fort Worth TX, really wonderful people when it comes to service, however I bought my car through a Missouri dealer. I had it transported to Fort Worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #21
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

Sorry for your issues at Concord BMW. I've been going there for in warranty service since 1988 on several BMWs. I've always had a great experience with them. They changed the oil on my wife's X5 early without charge. I think it was 7500 miles but I cannot remember exactly.

I suggest next time you have them change in-between services, don't have them reset. I know you should have to do that, but they probably have rules they have to follow. Also, when you take your car in, they usually give you an estimate of price that you have to sign. That way there are no surprises.

I'd give Concord another chance. I've had 30 years of good luck with them.

All the best!
Appreciate 0