BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2024, 01:47 AM   #1
GoranM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2024

BMW X5 xDrive40d 2013 - Oil level at minimum

Hello everyone,

I recently received a notification indicating that my car's oil level has dropped to the minimum, and I need to add an additional 1.5 liters. We purchased this new car at the end of 2023, and it has now covered 10,946 kilometers. Should I be concerned about this? Is it normal for a new car to burn oil like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Refill the oil and monitor to see if and how fast it drops. During the initial break in, a little loss may be considered normal, but continued oil use on a relatively new engine could indicate an issue.

Are there any signs of a leak either in the engine bay, or on the ground where you park it?

In the USA, they’ll pay for an oil change annually or when the computer calls for it, whichever comes first, but otherwise, on that engine, it MIGHT be every two years. It’s not a bad idea to change it annually, regardless. US drivers don’t have a lot of recent history, since BMW has not sold the diesel version here for a number of years. Maybe someone where they’re still being sold might have more relevant information.
Appreciate 1
GoranM0.00
      04-18-2024, 01:31 AM   #3
GoranM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2024

I spoke with a dealer yesterday who advised me to add about 800-900ml of oil. They explained that new cars sometimes come with slightly less oil, which I didn't quite understand. They mentioned that the car would consume some oil and that's partly why I received the message. The main reason, they suggested, was that it didn’t come from the factory with the oil at maximum level.

🤔😕
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #4
JALS
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535D X6

Garage List
  [0.00]
I have the same as yours, pre lci 2023 and first 20.000 kms it burned 1L at about 14.000 kms..refilled at dealer and at 22.000kms went to dealer to oil change and was missing only half a liter.

Now it has 39.000 kms and oil is still at top max.

When cars come from factory oils, liquids, come filled at correct specification. It is normal to have moderate to high oil consuption in a new engine, but it must stabilize after first oil change because engine have a break in period.
If it continues with that high oil consuption, after oil change, you may have a problem. If it stabilizes, then it is ok..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In order to pass emissions tests in most places, today’s engines must be designed with closer tolerances than older ones. But, keep in mind with a diesel, the compression ratio is higher than with a typical gasoline engined versions, and until the rings fully seat, it’s possible for a bit of oil to get lost. It shouldn’t be much, and over time, it should improve until wear continues, and things start to leak again after a number of miles/kilometers. Diesel fuel is a fairly good lubricant in itself, so it seems diesel engines can tend to last a bit longer than a similar gasoline fueled one, but there are lots of parts not lubricated by the fuel that still rely on a quality engine oil for their longevity.

If it continues to use significant oil in between oil changes, then you may have a problem. Probably not a big deal on the first one. Just don’t run it much or hard before you top it off again.
Appreciate 0