11-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Third row with air suspension

Hi Everyone,

I need some feedback on the third row option. Does it work well and can regular 5'4-5'8 adults sit in the back seat? Can the second row move forward to make legroom for the third row passengers?

For another $1,200 or so, it seems like a steal but at the same time it does add the air suspension as well.

I already have an M2C for hardcore/fun driving, so I might just give up the M-adaptive on the X5 and go for the air suspension + third row option. Reading the forums online, there are so many mixed reviews comparing air vs. M-adaptive. Does anyone here regret the air suspension?

Currently, I am torn deciding if the third row is useable for small adults. I am not able to find any X5 at the dealer which I can go and see myself.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Config an X7 and compare? If 3rd row is a must
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingpint View Post
Config an X7 and compare? If 3rd row is a must
X7 is too big. My wife was even scared to drive it.

We may need the third row occasionally - once or twice a month and for short trips. So for another $1,200, it seems like a good deal. But if it can't fit small adults then it is not worth it for us.

Can the second row adjust to make room for third row passengers?

Also, my wife found the M-adaptive a little stiff but personally I thought it was perfect. If I change the stock run-flats to non-run flats, the stiffness should reduce and help the overall ride comfort. I have done this with all my runflats in the past.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Yes, the second row does adjust to allow for some more room. I think most folks who have it posted it is best for small children but I guess if they are smaller adults, especially ones you don't particularly like, it will work fine for short strips.

I would imagine some owners will be along to give some real world experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need some feedback on the third row option. Does it work well and can regular 5'4-5'8 adults sit in the back seat? Can the second row move forward to make legroom for the third row passengers?

For another $1,200 or so, it seems like a steal but at the same time it does add the air suspension as well.

I already have an M2C for hardcore/fun driving, so I might just give up the M-adaptive on the X5 and go for the air suspension + third row option. Reading the forums online, there are so many mixed reviews comparing air vs. M-adaptive. Does anyone here regret the air suspension?

Currently, I am torn deciding if the third row is useable for small adults. I am not able to find any X5 at the dealer which I can go and see myself.
Had the third row on my F15 and it was marginal for average and large adults. Different car, but there just isn't room in an X5-sized car for a comfy third row for grownups. Short trips, small/average adults could squeeze in, but would be very uncomfortable for longer trips (an hour or two max). Also had a third row in my larger Q7, and even then the third row was really just suitable for children. The second row seats could be adjusted on both, and needed to be. The advantage of a third row was that you could shoehorn in 7 adult passengers without putting them in the cargo area as luggage - trip to the mall maybe - but if you legitimately need a third row would certainly look at the X7. Another advantage in the current X5 is that with a third row you get an adjustable second row, but I honestly haven't missed it. You just can't squeeze ten pounds of potatoes into a five pound sack.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4504.50
mcsa65.00
      11-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks, so maybe I should save or put the extra $1,200 on a different option.

I also can't decide between air vs. M sport suspension, I keep going back and forth.

I think the M sport suspension with flat tires will be the best compromise of comfort, handling and a sporty ride. The run-flats are terrible!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

I also can't decide between air vs. M sport suspension, I keep going back and forth.

I think the M sport suspension with flat tires will be the best compromise of comfort, handling and a sporty ride. The run-flats are terrible!
I don't have the car but am in the market for a three row option. I have similar usage as you but my trips for the 3rd row folks are going to be limited to 15 minutes mostly and occasional 60 minute rides. It's mostly for the parents/in-laws when they visit, and they are all Asian so it should work

To me, the additional ability to adjust 2nd row forward/backward and recline angle, plus extra 2 seats for occasional use makes the X5 more attractive. Also in Chicago we have some really bad roads that IAS will make sense, and we are a 1 car family so I want to maximize the utility of the car.

Until you go full size like X7, you are never going to have big adults fit into 3rd row anyway. If you truly regularly use 3 rows, you should consider mini van (Yes people, get over it)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Quote:

I don't have the car but am in the market for a three row option. I have similar usage as you but my trips for the 3rd row folks are going to be limited to 15 minutes mostly and occasional 60 minute rides. It's mostly for the parents/in-laws when they visit, and they are all Asian so it should work

To me, the additional ability to adjust 2nd row forward/backward and recline angle, plus extra 2 seats for occasional use makes the X5 more attractive. Also in Chicago we have some really bad roads that IAS will make sense, and we are a 1 car family so I want to maximize the utility of the car.

Until you go full size like X7, you are never going to have big adults fit into 3rd row anyway. If you truly regularly use 3 rows, you should consider mini van (Yes people, get over it)
Thanks!

Looks like you are getting the third row then!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

I've got the 3rd row and air suspension in my M50d

I'm 5'11" and i can sit in the very back with he 2nd row pushed forward.

It'd be fine for a journey of around 60 mins

for young adults it'd be no worries.

My nieces love getting to sit in the very back!
      12-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post

Thanks! This is really good to know.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Probably have seen, but a good demo of current third row:

https://www.facebook.com/BMWBLOG/vid...6609670075486/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post

Necro-bump, but with the 2nd row pushed all the way back, would someone around 5'7" be ok back there for trips shorter than an hour?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #13
Nyc_BK_335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n55(sold), 2017 M3, 2017 x3

I'm 5'10 and weigh in around 245. I can totally fit into the third row with about an inch left between my knees and the 2nd row seat. It's surprisingly comfortable and can definitely get an hour in on the ride back there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #14
hksr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_BK_335I View Post
I'm 5'10 and weigh in around 245. I can totally fit into the third row with about an inch left between my knees and the 2nd row seat. It's surprisingly comfortable and can definitely get an hour in on the ride back there.
And that's with the 2nd row pushed all the way back? Asking because I'll have carseats in the 2nd row... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #15
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

So I have this set up.

3rd option add electric rear seats that adjusts the back slightly and can move the row forward (one seat individually, and the other as a pair)

The 3rd row isn't great, but is passable, I've had 7 in mine and my Mrs and sister in law in the 3rd row, one is 5ft 8 the other 5ft 4. They said it was fine for the relatively short distance we drove, but would probably want to rotate with other passengers if in the car for longer than an hour.

It's perfect for occasional or if you're under 5ft 5. But if you need 3rd row, x7 or q7 is probably a better option.
      05-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #16
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Quote:
Quote:

If this is the bulk of your 3rd row needs the x5 is perfect, I got mine for the exact same purpose.

Additional benefit of electric middle row
      05-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
Quote:
And that's with the 2nd row pushed all the way back? Asking because I'll have carseats in the 2nd row... lol
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I have this, behind the baby seat would need the smaller person
hksr149.50
      05-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #18
hksr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilajio View Post
Good to know. My carseats will still be rear facing for awhile, so I need as much space as possible in the 2nd row. Is your carseat front or rear facing?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #19
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know. My carseats will still be rear facing for awhile, so I need as much space as possible in the 2nd row. Is your carseat front or rear facing?
Quote:
Quote:
Rear facing, the bulk of the seat where babies head is does overhang quite a bit so does limit the amount the front passenger can push their seat back, this coupled with 3rd may make that vertical not as spacious as one may hope. But I had dad (5ft 10) baby seat behind him. And then wife (5ft 8) behind baby seat, all were relatively comfortable. And then me (6ft) brother behind me (6ft) and his wife behind him (5ft 4) again relatively comfortable.

With mum in between brother and baby seat in the middle row.
hksr149.50
      05-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #20
turcoferno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i MSport

With 3rd row you cannot get a spare tire. That was one of the reasons (along with air suspension) I chose not to order the 3rd row. Without a spare, you are stuck with run flats which are not the most comfortable tires to ride on.

Also don't expect any type of comfortable ride back there for an average sized adult. Young kids will love it and be fine but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #21
Nyc_BK_335I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n55(sold), 2017 M3, 2017 x3

Quote:
Quote:
Yea surprisingly I got myself to fit back there. I have a Graco toddler seat on the 2nd row and I still managed to fit back there. I wouldn't recommend the drive being over an hour though.
Appreciate 1
hksr149.50
      05-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #22
hksr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Rear facing, the bulk of the seat where babies head is does overhang quite a bit so does limit the amount the front passenger can push their seat back, this coupled with 3rd may make that vertical not as spacious as one may hope. But I had dad (5ft 10) baby seat behind him. And then wife (5ft 8) behind baby seat, all were relatively comfortable. And then me (6ft) brother behind me (6ft) and his wife behind him (5ft 4) again relatively comfortable.

With mum in between brother and baby seat in the middle row.
Ah ok, sounds like it'll be fine for us then. I'm only about 5'7" and my wife 5'4". So it'd likely be my wife driving, rear facing baby seat behind her, and then me in the 3rd row behind the baby seat. My mom would be in the front passenger seat, and baby seat behind her. My mom is only 5'0" lol
Appreciate 0