BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Question Paint Protection: Ceramic Pro or SunTek PPF Ultra?

I am picking up my G05, Brilliant Saphire Black, in December and I am trying to figure out what the best bet is for a paint protection and the looks of my new investment. I have access to a Suntek PPF Ultra protection film or Ceramic Pro ceramic coating.

I like the idea of the protective film, but I am not sure what that will do to the aesthetic of a new vehicle and new paint. Does the Suntek PPF Ultra add to or take away from the gloss and/or look?

https://www.servoppf.com/suntek-ppfu/

I know the Ceramic Pro will add to the gloss, but will it actually protect the paint?

https://www.ceramicpro.com/products/

Please let me know what your suggestions are. This is a great forum! Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
XPel Ultimate
Whats the difference between that and Suntek PPF Ultra?

Also, should I do both? If so, how?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have done both...the Ceramic coating are mainly for ease of washing/waxing while the Suntek and Expel are really tough durable and easily resist road debris, rocks and highway driving protection. I have had both Expel and Suntek both great products, very tough and complete transparent protection. I drive alot of highway miles and before I used the clear PPF I would have pretty significant front end pitting...now I have none. What really sold me on wrapping my cars, was on I95 and got hit by 3 ft piece of 18wheeler tire tread, dead on hit. front end and most of hood had a very distinct impression on the tread left by tire. When i saw I was really bummed...but my installer peeled the wrap off and it was pristine like it never happened. The fact that I can afford a BMW like the G05 I would never not have the PPF...i do the ceramic just for the ease of quickie wash
      10-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
I have done both...the Ceramic coating are mainly for ease of washing/waxing while the Suntek and Expel are really tough durable and easily resist road debris, rocks and highway driving protection. I have had both Expel and Suntek both great products, very tough and complete transparent protection. I drive alot of highway miles and before I used the clear PPF I would have pretty significant front end pitting...now I have none. What really sold me on wrapping my cars, was on I95 and got hit by 3 ft piece of 18wheeler tire tread, dead on hit. front end and most of hood had a very distinct impression on the tread left by tire. When i saw I was really bummed...but my installer peeled the wrap off and it was pristine like it never happened. The fact that I can afford a BMW like the G05 I would never not have the PPF...i do the ceramic just for the ease of quickie wash
With the film protection, is the whole hood covered and the front fenders? I have seen a clear coat bra where it's only the first 25% of the hood and fenders and you can definitely see a line where it stops.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
With the film protection, is your the whole hood covered and the front fenders? I have seen a clear coat bra where it's only the first 25% of the hood and fenders and you can definitely see a line where it stops.
You can get the entire front of the car from the firewall forward, or get partial. You have options.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I am doing both. The Ceramic covers the edges of the film. Going to be $3,500 extra. I hope it’s worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
We had the whole front grille, full hood, 1/4 fenders, and door guards of our XC90 done in XPel ultimate for under $1k.
Congrats. Maybe there's a Volvo forum where your post would be more relevant.
kk8837.00
      10-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
mrickard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Congrats. Maybe there's a Volvo forum where your post would be more relevant.
Your comment was rude and pointless. He was only offering a cost comparison whether it was a Volvo or BMW.
Appreciate 2
usmabmass246.50
lumpydog690.50
      10-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Ok, so if I do both, do I ceramic coat the whole vehicle and then put the PPF on over that? Or do i put the ceramic coating on over film? I am quite confused..

Either way, I will probably PPF the entire front end and whole hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:07 AM   #10
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Ok, so if I do both, do I ceramic coat the whole vehicle and then put the PPF on over that? Or do i put the ceramic coating on over film? I am quite confused..

Either way, I will probably PPF the entire front end and whole hood.
I would do the XPel (or your brand PPF), front bumper, hood AND headlights and then ceramic coat the rest of the car. The XPel already has hydophobic properties.

I think the headlights are actually the most relevant because you obviously can't have them re-painted
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Right now the best film on the market is Suntek Ultra. XPEL is about a 10 yr old film with no improvements made over the last 10 years. Another problem is delamination with the XPEL. Since XPEL makes the film, then the film is shipped to 3M to have the adhesive applied, the top coat and adhesive aren't fused together. So down the road the top coat may separate from the adhesive and let dirt in, which is the problem I had in the 2 yrs I had it. Then when they removed the film to replace, adhesive was left all over the paint which is a SOB to remove. Suntek on the other hand is made all at once at the same place so you don't have to worry about it. It also has a smoother top coat than XPEL, is self healing and glossy, and also has hydrophobic properties to resist dirt and stains. The best protection is PPF then coated with a high quality ceramic. I've had Suntek Ultra on my car for 2 years and it still looks flawless on the car. If you have a good installer you will be hard pressed to see it on the car. Also right now there are no templates made to match the front of the G05. I called XPEL a couple days ago and requested a template to be made for the M Sport. Not sure how long it'll take for them to get one made as they have to get their hands on a X5 to make the templates. XPEL is known for their awesome templates, too bad their film isn't as good. Here's my full front covered and what it looks like after two years.
Attached Images

10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I spoke with an installer today and he said that the Xpel has a "glossier" look than the Suntek, but the Suntek is thicker and provides a little more protection.

Have you seen this to be true?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with an installer today and he said that the Xpel has a "glossier" look than the Suntek, but the Suntek is thicker and provides a little more protection.

Have you seen this to be true?
If your installer only sells XPEL they're going to tell you their product is the best. The Suntek is actually 2 mils Thinner than the XPEL so that statement is false as well. I had XPEL ultimate on my 535 for 2 yrs and I hated it. All the edges were delaminating and I had black lines around the edges. I kept having to have the film trimmed to get rid of of the areas where there was dirt and separation of the film. My Suntek, no edges lifting and it's smoother than the factory paint. It really hides nice on the car. I'm OCD and meticulous so I notice every little flaw and my M3 is flawless. Another key besides choosing a good film is choosing a good installer.
      10-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #14
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
If your installer only sells XPEL they're going to tell you their product is the best. The Suntek is actually 2 mils Thinner than the XPEL so that statement is false as well. I had XPEL ultimate on my 535 for 2 yrs and I hated it. All the edges were delaminating and I had black lines around the edges. I kept having to have the film trimmed to get rid of of the areas where there was dirt and separation of the film. My Suntek, no edges lifting and it's smoother than the factory paint. It really hides nice on the car. I'm OCD and meticulous so I notice every little flaw and my M3 is flawless. Another key besides choosing a good film is choosing a good installer.

So from the research that I have been doing, I think i want the Suntek. There is any installer here in Germany that does the Suntek and then he wants to put a ceramic coating on the whole vehicle, to include the PPF. It is a German brand that I have never heard of though. I don't know why that makes me nervous, but it does...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Dargo72
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i (2019)

Great discussion. I was thinking about XPel and ceramic coating, but I'll look into Suntek. Also, has anyone put film on their roofs? I am unable to garage my vehicle, and I nearby tree likes to drop acorns and the occasional small branch. I assume you would do everything around the sunroof.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #16
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post

So from the research that I have been doing, I think i want the Suntek. There is any installer here in Germany that does the Suntek and then he wants to put a ceramic coating on the whole vehicle, to include the PPF. It is a German brand that I have never heard of though. I don't know why that makes me nervous, but it does...
Make sure you put the PPF on first cause the ceramic coating won't allow the PPF to stick very well. You can also order ceramic coating online and apply yourself or just have your guy in Germany apply. There's tons of ceramic coatings on the market, I can't say which one is the best, but I've been using GTechniq crystal serum light top coated with EXO v3. They have an EXO v4 now. The two coatings have been on my M3 for 2 years now and it still bears and sheds water and dirt as it did when new. The most important thing to preserve any ceramic coating is to wash with a PH balanced soap and to not use the automatic car washes. You can use the automatic washes from time to time, just keep in mind the hard soaps they use will shorten the life of any coating. Here's my coating in action.
      10-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Just an FYI, Xpel updated their film within the past twelve months. It is now Xpel Ultimate Plus.

We have had Xpel Ulimate on four BMWs over the past six years and have never had any issues. Proper installation is the key. The film is warranted for ten years.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
nyfinest25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

What's the price for getting ceramic pro from the dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Just an FYI, Xpel updated their film within the past twelve months. It is now Xpel Ultimate Plus.

We have had Xpel Ulimate on four BMWs over the past six years and have never had any issues. Proper installation is the key. The film is warranted for ten years.
What exactly did XPEL update? Most films are self healing and 10yr warranties. 3M pro has those and also pays for any paint damage underneath the film. Up to $3,500.
      10-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo72 View Post
Great discussion. I was thinking about XPel and ceramic coating, but I'll look into Suntek. Also, has anyone put film on their roofs? I am unable to garage my vehicle, and I nearby tree likes to drop acorns and the occasional small branch. I assume you would do everything around the sunroof.

Thank you,
Tons of owners do their carbon fiber roofs with PPF , so painted roofs would be no different. Ceramic coatings would do just fine for your roof of all you're concerned with is bird droppings or sap.
      10-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
With the film protection, is the whole hood covered and the front fenders? I have seen a clear coat bra where it's only the first 25% of the hood and fenders and you can definitely see a line where it stops.
You can do as much of the hood/car as you want...I initially did 1/2 the hood but now I do the entire hood, entire front fascia and most of the fenders...and rocker panels.
      10-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #22
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

The Ceramic coating that the shop here uses is called IGL Kenzo. Has anyone heard if it? I can't find much about it on the web... Has anyone heard if it?
Appreciate 0