BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

45e scheduled charge

For those of you who already have the car, do you know if I can set schedule to charge the car to avoid charge it at peak hours? Can be done with both connected app and idrive 7?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
r32e90
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Yes you can schedule it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
For those of you who already have the car, do you know if I can set schedule to charge the car to avoid charge it at peak hours? Can be done with both connected app and idrive 7?

Thanks
Per the technical training document.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zaflb19.00
      11-02-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

Thanks
Yes you can.

With the CD app or in the car.

You can set a time interval when it can charge.

Just make sure the interval is long enough to fully charge the battery.

And if you precondition the car out of the set interval, it won't recharge the battery.

I don't use it. The part of the charging done during peak hours is too short because I only plug in when I come home in the evening.

If you have a wall charger and you plug in somewhere in the afternoon it would be a good idea to program (if you don't need it again the same day)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes you can.

And if you precondition the car out of the set interval, it won't recharge the battery.

I don't use it. The part of the charging done during peak hours is too short because I only plug in when I come home in the evening.

If you have a wall charger and you plug in somewhere in the afternoon it would be a good idea to program (if you don't need it again the same day)
Thank you.

With PG&E in California, it is off peak from 12 am - 3 pm and I don't want to get out of the bed and plug it in at midnight...

I don't quite understand this one :"And if you precondition the car out of the set interval, it won't recharge the battery." Does precondition has anything to do with charging especially out of set interval?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:22 AM   #5
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Yes you can.

The CD app says "Set a departure time to take advantage of off-peak charging rates". I think you can't just set the charging window and forget about it, but need to set the departure time every day as well. If I'm correct, this is pretty stupid. I want it to charge at night, whether I'm leaving in the morning or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can.

Thank you.

With PG&E in California, it is off peak from 12 am - 3 pm and I don't want to get out of the bed and plug it in at midnight...

I don't quite understand this one :"And if you precondition the car out of the set interval, it won't recharge the battery." Does precondition has anything to do with charging especially out of set interval?
No but it uses the battery to precondition.

So if you precondition the car outside of the interval it won't recharge the battery. And the battery won't be charged 100 % when leaving.

Preconditioning consists in two things heating/cooling the cabin and preconditioning the hv battery. I am not 100% sure but I think it won't precondition the battery when not plugged in (or not being able to charge because of the set interval).

Cabin pre conditioning is quite fast. Battery preconditioning takes 2-3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:28 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Yes you can.

The CD app says "Set a departure time to take advantage of off-peak charging rates". I think you can't just set the charging window and forget about it, but need to set the departure time every day as well. If I'm correct, this is pretty stupid. I want it to charge at night, whether I'm leaving in the morning or not.
Once you set the timer you can choose what time interval is off peak and it can use to charge.

Sorry in Dutch.

Direct laden: immediate charge
Laden met voordelig tarief: off peak rate charging. You can only see this when a departure time is programmed.
Dalurentimer: off peak hour timer
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:28 AM   #8
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. That might suggest that I should get a charger that allows me to schedule the charge time...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:37 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can.

Sorry second read.

That is correct. It will only use the interval if you set a departure time.

If you leave about the same time every morning it is ok.

Let's say 8 am. Set the interval from 9 pm to 8h15 pm and it will only charge at night even when you plug in in at 3pm.

Downside will be that if you park with an empty battery at 3pm it won't be partially charged if you are going out again at 6 pm.

I chose 9 pm in my example because I need 10h to charge. With a wall charger it will take 6 hours. So for you could chose 12 am to start charging.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sucks. That might suggest that I should get a charger that allows me to schedule the charge time...
Maybe that is the best option for you. In the US you will have to buy a charger anyway. I don't know if the price difference for this option would be so important?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:37 AM   #11
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
I wish we could ask BMW to improve the car's software. Not a big change to let the user select between different charging options like "charge before departure", "charge in time window", "charge immediately" etc.

I'm afraid I'll go crazy as I know most software changes would be simple, but I can't make them myself, BMW will probably never make them and I have to live with their stupid decisions every day... ;-) (It is SO difficult to live with almost any commercial product these days when they could make them so much better if they just gave them a little more thought..)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #12
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry second read.

Let's say 8 am. Set the interval from 9 pm to 8h15 pm and it will only charge at night even when you plug in in at 3pm.

Downside will be that if you park with an empty battery at 3pm it won't be partially charged if you are going out again at 6 pm.

I chose 9 pm in my example because I need 10h to charge. With a wall charger it will take 6 hours. So for you could chose 12 am to start charging.
How does departure time matter if I don't really drive the car by that time? If that is sth I need to set but it does prevent me from not driving car, I am fine with that too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry second read.

How does departure time matter if I don't really drive the car by that time? If that is sth I need to set but it does prevent me from not driving car, I am fine with that too.
You can set it and not drive the car. However you will have used electricity for nothing. That wouldn't make sense either. Maybe at the end it will even cost more with extra electricity use than charging in peak hours?

You can cancel it any time you want. Just open the door and it stops.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
I wish we could ask BMW to improve the car's software.
You can. Just get in touch with the BMW hotline in your country.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

The manual mentions intelligent charging and Digital Charging Service making it possible to adapt charging more specifically.

However the link doesn't work on my phone.

Https://charging.bmwgroup.com

Anyone else tried this?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There are various home automation devices that you could use to apply power to your EVSE when you wanted. Check first if your EVSE will start if it's power is off when you plug in, then apply power to the thing...some will, some won't. This can make a difference if you have a power outage as well...best to know if it will restart on its own.

The act of charging your batteries will warm them some. In the wintertime, that's an advantage, so waiting to charge closer to the departure time can save some power. I haven't looked that closely on the X5, but on the i3 I have, if the battery SOC is low and it's cold out, even with a off-peak time window set, it will start to charge the batteries to get them above some critical point, then stop and wait for the off-peak window to prevent battery damage.
Appreciate 0