BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #23
lethiferous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

That sucks. At the same time, I am also from NY. How are you dealing with the tint situation? I know most cops in nyc don't care but I've also been stopped at checkpoints a couple times in the past year for window tint (and I don't even have aftermarket tint). I have gotten so many window tint tickets, I just gave up. I also found out they can ticket you per window lol.

Last edited by lethiferous; 06-29-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #24
Belnir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 - sapphire black

That’s permanent water damage. I know because I forgot to close my window during a storm.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Yes, should have gone to Art of Tint in the first place. Agree
+1 for the art of tint. since they changed the inspection law in NYS, i have them retint my fronts yearly after getting my sticker, always perfect.
The one time i had an issue with the auto roll windows on my F34 messing up the tint, tom brought my car in on an off day so it could sit in the shop to set in a heated space for the entire day.

i've known tom for 18+ years now, super nice and stand up guy. his shop works on super high end cars, so they have the experience to not mess up leather door cards and dash
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #26
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
+1 for the art of tint. since they changed the inspection law in NYS, i have them retint my fronts yearly after getting my sticker, always perfect.
The one time i had an issue with the auto roll windows on my F34 messing up the tint, tom brought my car in on an off day so it could sit in the shop to set in a heated space for the entire day.

i've known tom for 18+ years now, super nice and stand up guy. his shop works on super high end cars, so they have the experience to not mess up leather door cards and dash
Brother you need to make friends with a gas station inspection shop. For $60 they will pass you so you dont need to keep re-tinting.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      06-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #27
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
Quote:

+1 for art of tint in Brooklyn.
They did a great job and took good care of my warranty claims when needed!
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #28
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethiferous View Post
That sucks. At the same time, I am also from NY. How are you dealing with the tint situation? I know most cops in nyc don't care but I've also been stopped at checkpoints a couple times in the past year for window tint (and I don't even have aftermarket tint). I have gotten so many window tint tickets, I just gave up. I also found out they can ticket you per window lol.
Off topic, but I got pulled over for not having a front plate. Dude must have been a rookie cuz he tried to get me for everything, even though I was very polite and didn't try to talk my way out of a ticket. He tried to see if my tints were too dark (I've NEVER been bothered over tints!) and even double checked that I was wearing corrective lenses!

Anyways, my tints are definitely too dark (20%), but I had my sunroof open and the interior lights on when he checked. He said it was fine..

In the end I just got a ticket for the front plate.

TLDR: try to have your sunroof open and lights on and hope he doesn't tell you to turn off the lights for the tint check.

OP: sorry to hear about your trouble. Definitely let the dealer tint your car when you replace the panel. They out source that stuff anyway, but if something happens you know they'll make it right.
hdahman236.50
      07-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #29
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Off topic, but I got pulled over for not having a front plate. Dude must have been a rookie cuz he tried to get me for everything, even though I was very polite and didn't try to talk my way out of a ticket. He tried to see if my tints were too dark (I've NEVER been bothered over tints!) and even double checked that I was wearing corrective lenses!

Anyways, my tints are definitely too dark (20%), but I had my sunroof open and the interior lights on when he checked. He said it was fine..

In the end I just got a ticket for the front plate.

TLDR: try to have your sunroof open and lights on and hope he doesn't tell you to turn off the lights for the tint check.

OP: sorry to hear about your trouble. Definitely let the dealer tint your car when you replace the panel. They out source that stuff anyway, but if something happens you know they'll make it right.
OMG! I saw the Canadian flag and I am not surprised, worst experiences was the Montréal police, they stop you for anything and try their hardest to give you the max amount of ticket, though I contest 100% of all those tickets and won most!
Appreciate 1
-cj-198.00
      07-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #30
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Thread Brump. Just checking in as shops/shop reliability in the tri-state is always on my Wiki. Did they make it right
Appreciate 1
hdahman236.50
      07-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #31
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Thread Brump. Just checking in as shops/shop reliability in the tri-state is always on my Wiki. Did they make it right
They said they ordered a new door panel with the dealer but its on back order with no ETA. I will give it a month, after that I will just ask for cash and take care of it myself.

They were able to order it for 2100 instead of 2700 and not pay tax since they are a business and get discounts from the BMW dealer when ordering parts.

The problem is, my color spec is for competition models only and has to be custom made on request.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #32
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
custom made on request.
Wishing for the best outcome
It's like approaching a panel getting resprayed

Hopefully it's the same exact graining and *Exact color match that is on the current car. I've replaced door sill trim and color was never the exactly the same as what came on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 05:53 AM   #33
PacShakur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Would you by any chance know the part number of the panel?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #34
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacShakur View Post
Would you by any chance know the part number of the panel?
It depends on your VIN and color combination
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #35
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update- The tint shop called and said my Door Panel finally came in at the bmw parts department. Will be getting it installed this weekend sometime hopefully.
Appreciate 4
GotBeemed415.50
cmyx6go15689.50
iconoclast7262.50
      09-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #36
Defib
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
WTF?? That installer must have been a newbie. I had all of my windows tinted including that windshield in 2 hours and it’s flawless. artoftint is my go to spot for years.

Alan
Art of Tint has done my last 5 cars including the windshield flawlessly. Highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #37
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: Steve, one of the owners, arranged to have the panel replaced today.

It was a good bit of work as the parts have to come off the old door and get put on this new one.

This expensive door card doesnt come with anything other than plastic and leather lol.

They did a great job, super professional and meticulous actually.

Door panel looks perfect, rock solid.

Everything is great except for one thing, there is an LED strip inside the pocket of the door that wont light up. All the other LEDs light up fine on the latch, above the window buttons and on that silver door handle. Its just the interior door pocket strip that wont light up.

The tech made sure it was plugged in correctly and even showed me. He did it right on his end.

Does anyone know what gives? Is there something I have to reset?

That strip was the -only- thing the new door panel came with that didn't have to be transplanted from the old door to the new door and it just required the harness to be plugged in. Is it like a programming issue or something? All the other lights were transplanted from the old door as they didnt come with the new door.

Is there something I can do before taking it into bmw for them to work on? I really dont want them taking apart the door just to confirm its plugged in, i know it is. I even tugged and secured it when we were inspecting it.

But kudos to Steve and Manny. They made it right and went above and beyond to fix it. As crappy as it was to have that tint job go bad, I would probably do business with them again just because customer service like this is rare these days.
Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah285.00
      09-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #38
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Update: Steve, one of the owners, arranged to have the panel replaced today.

It was a good bit of work as the parts have to come off the old door and get put on this new one.

This expensive door card doesnt come with anything other than plastic and leather lol.

They did a great job, super professional and meticulous actually.

Door panel looks perfect, rock solid.

Everything is great except for one thing, there is an LED strip inside the pocket of the door that wont light up. All the other LEDs light up fine on the latch, above the window buttons and on that silver door handle. Its just the interior door pocket strip that wont light up.

The tech made sure it was plugged in correctly and even showed me. He did it right on his end.

Does anyone know what gives? Is there something I have to reset?

That strip was the -only- thing the new door panel came with that didn't have to be transplanted from the old door to the new door and it just required the harness to be plugged in. Is it like a programming issue or something? All the other lights were transplanted from the old door as they didnt come with the new door.

Is there something I can do before taking it into bmw for them to work on? I really dont want them taking apart the door just to confirm its plugged in, i know it is. I even tugged and secured it when we were inspecting it.

But kudos to Steve and Manny. They made it right and went above and beyond to fix it. As crappy as it was to have that tint job go bad, I would probably do business with them again just because customer service like this is rare these days.
Sorry to hear that mate ..

I have had a similar episode with mine when I got it back in 2020 .. tint shop had to redo the front side windows both sides and made a huge mess with weavy lines appearing after the job was finished .. I was told they used only pure water and window cleaner solution with no additives but I really didn't believe them .. They refunded the whole amount yet wouldn't do anything about funding the panel ..
I asked my local dealer to claim it through BMW's warranty and no answer until today.. it sucks I have to see it everyday.. I just had to live with it for now .. the BMW Merino leather is very delicate and can get effected easily by just anything ..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #39
solrac6262
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw X5

that sucks, same happened to me with my Cayenne, I noticed a few days later after picking up the car, having a front window tint, they don't cover the leather and spray water like crazy, water gets inside the stitching I Had both door panels replaced under warranty, because the tint job was done at the dealership
      09-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #40
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Oh also, I went to BMW to get a price quote for the door panel today. Its $3000 without labor and it's not in stock currently.

They said BMW will make it from new when the order is placed and it can take up to 3 months to arrive.
I can tell you I had two shops flat out tell me they wouldn't do X5's anymore as they have destroyed door panels and had paid to replace them. One used too much heat which almost sounds like what happened with yours with the puffed up issue. The one shop actually partnered with a body shop down the road to pull the glass and reinstall it. I wasn't getting into that noise. Glad the shop is making it right for ya.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0