BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
SpeedyBeamer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Post Carwash

Does anyone else experience this stain on the rear of their X5 after a Carwash? I get it every time i get a Carwash no matter where i get my wash done at. It's always down the dead center of the lower tailgate. I'm not sure what it is but it's really caked on and take about 10 mins of forceful scrubbing to remove. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

According to your profile-is this your 2016 X5? IF so, you may want to try the F15 X5 forum for owner feedback as you may get more responses from others who have this chassis since this is for X5 GO5 (2019-current). Yet, I previously had a 2014 X5-same chassis as 2016 and I didn’t have the issue seen in your photo. Perhaps check to see if weather stripping is attached properly as water should be funneled along the sides of tailgate-not down the center. Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
This is not happening on my G05
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
That is a G05.

I get some water drips from the tailgate gaps but they don't require scrubbing- they're just water. That's some old hard water deposits or something, you might wanna do some polishing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
restloy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i / 2014 Vette

This is occurring on my new G05. From what I can determine it is cosmoline grease dripping from inside the top hatch onto the lower hatch. The extreme heat exacerbates it.

Cosmoline is a rust preventative and I suppose the doors and hatches of these things are made outside of the US and shipped here...hence the insides are caked with cosmoline. There is a small hole on the top hatch that you plug if it is an ongoing hassle.
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
SpeedyBeamer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by restloy View Post
This is occurring on my new G05. From what I can determine it is cosmoline grease dripping from inside the top hatch onto the lower hatch. The extreme heat exacerbates it.

Cosmoline is a rust preventative and I suppose the doors and hatches of these things are made outside of the US and shipped here...hence the insides are caked with cosmoline. There is a small hole on the top hatch that you plug if it is an ongoing hassle.
Thank you for this info! What did you use to plug the hole?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #7
restloy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i / 2014 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBeamer View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBeamer View Post
Quote:

You can use a piece of thick tape or some wax. As long as it isn't obtrusive or making significant contact with the lower hatch.
Appreciate 0