BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-25-2022, 12:13 AM   #1
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Went to get my car tinted in NY and ran into a BIG problem

So I went through some insane debacle trying to get the front windows on my X6MC tinted.

I went to a store on the north shore of Long Island, New York. Reputable place with lots of reviews.

They installed Xpel ceramic tint in early June. After a few days I noticed some big glue marks on it and the owner said he needs to redo it.

Had it redone a week later, again I noticed even more glue spots. He agreed and said he will have his guy redo it again.

Well, went for the 3rd time and the installer tried my driver side window for 4 hours. He finished, gave me the keys and said that its not perfect but he wont redo it again.

I get in the car and notice my door leather is BLOWN UP. Picture attached.

Its been 3 days and the distortion is still there. Will this settle eventually? Should I go back and have them pay for a new panel? Can they buy just an upper panel from BMW and replace it or does it need an entirely new panel?

I texted the owned and he said he would pay for a replacement. Im trying to do some research to see if I really need one and if I can just replace a portion of it instead of the entire panel.
Attached Images

Last edited by -Vanguard-; 06-25-2022 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 5
GotBeemed415.50
themnmd1691.00
Simple1133.50
BMWUtro24.50
      06-25-2022, 03:42 AM   #2
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Before I begin, I just want to let you know that I am not there with you, so I cannot see the damage in person.

Second, I want to say that I feel for you and I am sorry you are having all those issues with just getting your windows tinted. That is silly.

Third, if you are referring to the wavy pattern at the top closest to the window, that appears to have been done with a liquid (prop water/alcohol) mix.

I think you can get rid of this using a quality leather cleaner/restore/protectant.

Here are a few great options for you.

https://angelwax.com/product/heaven-for-leather/

https://iglcoatings.com/products/ecoshine-leather

https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-...a-cleaner.html

Lastly, I hope these work for you, and if they do, at a minimum, I would go back to the tint shop and demand a full refund plus the cost of the products above. They are not the cheapest, but they are detailer-grade products that have worked flawlessly in my X5MC and I use it on the daily with two toddlers.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
Before I begin, I just want to let you know that I am not there with you, so I cannot see the damage in person.

Second, I want to say that I feel for you and I am sorry you are having all those issues with just getting your windows tinted. That is silly.

Third, if you are referring to the wavy pattern at the top closest to the window, that appears to have been done with a liquid (prop water/alcohol) mix.

I think you can get rid of this using a quality leather cleaner/restore/protectant.

Here are a few great options for you.

https://angelwax.com/product/heaven-for-leather/

https://iglcoatings.com/products/ecoshine-leather

https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-...a-cleaner.html

Lastly, I hope these work for you, and if they do, at a minimum, I would go back to the tint shop and demand a full refund plus the cost of the products above. They are not the cheapest, but they are detailer-grade products that have worked flawlessly in my X5MC and I use it on the daily with two toddlers.
Heya thanks for the advice. The only thing is, is that this was from underneath the leather. It blew up and was puffy for a couple days before settling. You think this wavy pattern is on top or under the leather?

Took this picture just now. You can actually feel the waves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

I see what you are talking about, I thought it was just the staining. It appears whatever solution he used to put on the tint soaked through the leather and lifted the adhesive. I am board with you having to get an entire new panel if that is the case. That is bullshit. It prob has to do with the fact you meant back multiple times over a short period and the installer just being a douche because of it. Sorry I can't be more help.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Your installer didn't use the water soakers or didn't use dry ones, this exact situation is why some won't do front windshields with it installed they risk having this happen.

BMW will replace the whole panel. A great upholstery shop will be able to redo it at the stich line assuming its two pc stitch if not they will also wrap the whole door again.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

That is frustrating.
      06-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Which installer on the north shore? Should let other ppl know so they can avoid a situation like this.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Which installer on the north shore? Should let other ppl know so they can avoid a situation like this.
Its Tintmax on northern blvd.

They have a few shops in Manhasset, Flushing and Astoria.

I figured they would be great with all the reviews and what not. They have very nice cars in their lot when you go- mclarens, ferraris, BMW Ms, AMGs, etc etc. Only high end stuff.

NOPE

The worst part was, they gave me the same installer each time. The guy was out of his element.

I will be going there on Monday and seeing if they will pay to replace my panel at BMW. There is no way in hell I am letting them touch my car again. I will take it to BMW myself and my service advisor can arrange payment with them or their insurance company. Simple as that.

Honestly, the owner Manny seems nice and Im assuming he will pay for this door panel. Its his installers who seem to be less skilled than one would hope.

Add insult to injury, my driver's side window is showing huge glue marks now, 4 days after install. These are not water bubbles, but probably left over glue from the multiple installs and lack of patience on the kid installing the tint.
Appreciate 2
GotBeemed415.50
White3401392.00
      06-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh also, I went to BMW to get a price quote for the door panel today. Its $3000 without labor and it's not in stock currently.

They said BMW will make it from new when the order is placed and it can take up to 3 months to arrive.
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed415.50
      06-25-2022, 09:07 PM   #10
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Oh also, I went to BMW to get a price quote for the door panel today. Its $3000 without labor and it's not in stock currently.

They said BMW will make it from new when the order is placed and it can take up to 3 months to arrive.
Holy Shit! I would be so pissed! You must be a saint.

I am so sorry my dude!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I would have not gone back there after the second time. I would leave a review somewhere so that others can know. The owner himself should've put another installer on the job. He may be nice but in my opinion, he's not doing enough.
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed415.50
      06-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #12
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

You need a door card. None of those leather links is going to fix what you got going on. Between the slip solution on tinting or if they used (glue remover- aka chems) - removing tints always leaves some level of glue behind, all those -chems- were just dripping and soaking the s@### out of your doorcard. Unless it has changed hands, Steve is the owner. Be curious how this plays out . Report back.

Off topic, but you never know what sh1# goes on your car when you leave it with what you believe is a trusted Pro.

There was a video link on this sub on a tinter out East. Anyhow, watching his videos....slop solution bottle being chucked onto the seats as he works, or the best part was when the blade he was working with, he just -flicked- it into the rear of this car, since he was done with that door ....with no clue whether the aim or the flick of the blade would nick/catch any upholstery.

Last edited by chefwong; 06-25-2022 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #13
Gwong27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC 2021. CLK 55 AMG 2003

Do you have pics of glue marks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 09:44 PM   #14
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
You need a door card. None of those leather links is going to fix what you got going on. Between the slip solution on tinting or if they used (glue remover) - removing tints always leaves some level of glue behind, all those -chems- were just dripping and soaking the s@### out of your doorcard. Unless it has changed hands, Steve is the owner. Be curious how this plays out . Report back.

Off topic, but you never know what sh1# goes on your car when you leave it with what you believe is a trusted Pro.

There was a video link on this sub on a tinter out East. Anyhow, watching his videos....slop solution bottle being chucked onto the seats as he works, or the best part was when the blade he was working with, he just -flicked- it into the rear of this car, since he was done with that door ....with no clue whether the aim or the flick of the blade would nick/catch any upholstery.
Yeah....after he posted the second pic showing the damage with more detail, I replied back with I thought to be a detailed explanation of what I thought happened. I assumed he would understand that the products I showed him would not assist, but I did not say it directly. Sorry for any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

WTF?? That installer must have been a newbie. I had all of my windows tinted including that windshield in 2 hours and it’s flawless. artoftint is my go to spot for years.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:00 PM   #16
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

OP noticed glue marks on the original install.
Where are these glue marks?
Are they between the glass and film or are they on the backside of the film (facing the interior)

It’s highly unusual that the same glue marks keeps showing up after multiple tint processes…

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:01 PM   #17
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
WTF?? That installer must have been a newbie. I had all of my windows tinted including that windshield in 2 hours and it’s flawless. artoftint is my go to spot for years.

Alan
Yes, should have gone to Art of Tint in the first place. Agree
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #18
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
OP noticed glue marks on the original install.
Where are these glue marks?
Are they between the glass and film or are they on the backside of the film (facing the interior)

It’s highly unusual that the same glue marks keeps showing up after multiple tint processes…
The glue marks were in different spots after each install, never in the same area.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #19
chefwong
Captain
Rep

Vanguard - Wishing for the best outcome .
Hopefully the new DS panel will be a 100% match to the current panels in the car...Bringing this up as since colorways when produced are coming from the same batch, there's at least some consistency between all said parts from the same production batch.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 05:37 PM   #20
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So they agreed to buy me a new door panel. We will see if/when that happens. The saga continues. Will post updates.

These merino leather door panels are $3000 before labor. Its crazy they would just abuse the leather over and over knowing how expensive this is to fix.
Appreciate 3
EyeBalz55.50
GotBeemed415.50
cmyx6go15685.00
      06-29-2022, 03:42 AM   #21
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
So they agreed to buy me a new door panel. We will see if/when that happens. The saga continues. Will post updates.

These merino leather door panels are $3000 before labor. Its crazy they would just abuse the leather over and over knowing how expensive this is to fix.
Credit to the owner owning up to the problem and doing the right thing to remedy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #22
chefwong
Captain
Rep

VG -

Hoping this turns out well with a new door card. Putting this out there, but I have a great upholstery shop up in Tuckahoe if that is needed but it will never be the the same as a new door card. Fingers crossed the dyes on the new card are a exact match!
Appreciate 0