Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Possible solution for missing spare tire kit

I found a website called Modern Spare, which offers spare tires and jacks and tools for cars which came with run flats and no spare.

They are not shipping current orders until about 5-6 weeks so it will be late May before I have the tire. I'll report back when it comes in.

The cost was about $440 all-in, which is way more than it would cost to just order the tire in your build ($150) - but way less than BMW charges to get the parts later. (About $900).

https://modernspare.com/product/2019...e-kit-options/

You can also order just the tools, or just the tire.

Last edited by Timmer-Bimmer; 06-12-2021 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
hdahman238.00
      04-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The kit from dealer is something like $350 and approximately $250 online. Why not purchase the OEM spare tire kit?
Appreciate 1
JALS26.50
      04-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The kit from dealer is something like $350 and approximately $250 online. Why not purchase the OEM spare tire kit?

P/N: 36 11 6 775 450
the Modern Spare kit includes a tire and wheel as well as the tools and storage cover (if optioned).

that part you referenced is only the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I found a website called Modern Spare, which offers spare tires and jacks and tools for cars which came with run flats and no spare.

They are not shipping current orders until about 5-6 weeks so it will be late May before I have the tire. I'll report back when it comes in.

The cost was about $440 all-in, which is way more than it would cost to just order the tire in your build ($150) - but way less than BMW charges to get the parts later. (About $900).

https://modernspare.com/product/2019...e-kit-options/

You can also order just the tools, or just the tire.
What model do you have?
I looked into this while shopping around cars that weren't equipped with the spare. In the end I decided against it, because I didn't like the idea of having to use a spacer while running the spare if you had the M brakes. Changing a flat can often be dangerous enough and often done in conditions not ideal, I didn't want to have to add any extra steps or complexity to the process for safety reasons.
      04-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Nope. There is no OEM after purchase kit. You have to buy all the pieces separately. I priced it out when shopping cars without spares and it was like, $800-900 minimum. Its a no brainer to add to the build for $150, but expensive as hell if you add it after the fact.
iconoclast7265.50
volodp199.50
      04-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
What model do you have?
I looked into this while shopping around cars that weren't equipped with the spare. In the end I decided against it, because I didn't like the idea of having to use a spacer while running the spare if you had the M brakes. Changing a flat can often be dangerous enough and often done in conditions not ideal, I didn't want to have to add any extra steps or complexity to the process for safety reasons.
I have the G05 without the M Brakes. So it was an easier decision for me. I agree I don't want to deal with the spacers while I'm on the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
I recently purchased the space saver tire "kit" through BMWPartsPro.com. AKA Steve Thomas BMW. A very smooth transaction and delivery within a week of placing the order. Be mindful to share your VIN when ordering. I was in the same scenario - bought for my 2019 X50i Msport CPO with 21" wheels that did not originally come with the spare option. I also bought the OEM jack, crank handle, lug wrench and wheel chock.

Keep in mind that, at least with my 50i which came with the "luggage compartment" option, the spare will NOT fit in the tub under the rear compartment (where it would be if configured that way when built). I will only load the spare when I am on road trips away from the Metro area where I live - just as a backup if the need crops up when I am not close to a BMW dealer or a reputable tire dealer.

Because the spare cannot fit in the tub under the floor of the luggage area, there are a few parts that come with the OEM setup one can't use - e.g. the "tray, rod, wing nut" that in an OEM setup retain the spare when it's in the tub.

I went with the OEM space saver tire and tools because I wanted to make sure it fit and the tools would work. I bought a vinyl tire cover off amazon ($20) to keep the spare in and will simply lay it down in the rear luggage area when on road trips. All told with shipping and handling it came to about $900. Higher than a generic whatever off of Ebay, but more confidence that it will fit and I'll have the tools to change out a flat if the situation arises.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #8
DrMicro
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW x5 xdrive40i

I know this has been asked before but has anyone discovered an easy compact spare kit option for Canadians? I have an x5 xdrive40i wit 20" wheels. I tried to get a compact spare kit when ordering my vehicle but the dealer just kept saying flat out that the OEM spare is not an option at all. I welcome any secret tips. I'll have my RFT all seasons until they die, then I'll replace with non-RFT and my winters will be non-RFT. It makes me nervous and extremely frustrated at BMW Canada for making this so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
What model do you have?
Spacer? I have the non-RFT 22 inch staggered tires and wheels (M-Sport) and M brakes. The spare that came with the car is Hankook and there isn't a spacer.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Spacer?
he's referring to the wheel that comes with the Modern Spare aftermarket spare kit, which doesn't have the same specs as the OEM space saver spare and requires a spacer to clear the M Sport brake calipers. It's noted in the manufacturer's disclaimer.
Appreciate 2
GREENPUS136.00
gqgambler717.50
      04-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #11
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMicro View Post
I know this has been asked before but has anyone discovered an easy compact spare kit option for Canadians? I have an x5 xdrive40i wit 20" wheels. I tried to get a compact spare kit when ordering my vehicle but the dealer just kept saying flat out that the OEM spare is not an option at all. I welcome any secret tips. I'll have my RFT all seasons until they die, then I'll replace with non-RFT and my winters will be non-RFT. It makes me nervous and extremely frustrated at BMW Canada for making this so difficult.
They don't know what they are talking about. I had the same problem here in the US when shopping for cars; was told by several US dealers that its not possible. BS!!

Go to the BMW parts counter or Genius with a VIN from a spare equipped car and ask them to get the parts number for the spare tire kit replacement - if something is defective, missing or damaged they have to be able to replace it and thus have the parts individually.

Additionally, I would assume that the US spec parts numbers will work/match. Have you or anyone in Canada looked into ordering the US spec parts? Posted above that someone recently purchased through BMWPartsPro.com (AKA Steve Thomas BMW).
      04-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
They don't know what they are talking about. I had the same problem here in the US when shopping for cars; was told by several US dealers that its not possible. BS!!

Go to the BMW parts counter or Genius with a VIN from a spare equipped car and ask them to get the parts number for the spare tire kit replacement - if something is defective, missing or damaged they have to be able to replace it and thus have the parts individually.

Additionally, I would assume that the US spec parts numbers will work/match. Have you or anyone in Canada looked into ordering the US spec parts? Posted above that someone recently purchased through BMWPartsPro.com (AKA Steve Thomas BMW).
While your incredulity is justified, nonetheless the morons at BMW Canada have always and seemingly still insist to customers and dealers that a spare in a Canadian G05 is "impossible". Yes, utter BS, yet they persist. Read the many threads on this. Also, no US dealer or US-based seller of BMW parts will ship to Canada, so that approach is not feasible for Canadians, particular with closed borders. And even if you did manage to somehow get it in from US, my last estimate all-in for the spare kit retrofit using this approach is about $1800 CAD, obviously ludicrous.
      04-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #13
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Quote:
I just ordered a '21 x5 w/20" wheels, i added the $150 spare option without any issues.

I also plant to switch out the runflats after they are done. Thats why i insisted on getting it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabesky View Post
Quote:
I just ordered a '21 x5 w/20" wheels, i added the $150 spare option without any issues.

I also plant to switch out the runflats after they are done. Thats why i insisted on getting it.
Good call. You should sell that to a poor Canadian.
      04-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol.. this is not an option in Canada for real?

Although my dealer was asking me why you want that? He keeps telling me you get run flats either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Although my dealer was asking me why you want that? He keeps telling me you get run flats either way.
For real.

And I don't have any viable theories why both BMW and many dealers sales have this ridiculous attitude towards the spare. Too low a profit margin is the only thing I can come up with, but that just seems petty.
      04-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #17
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For real.

And I don't have any viable theories why both BMW and many dealers sales have this ridiculous attitude towards the spare. Too low a profit margin is the only thing I can come up with, but that just seems petty.
I guess, for $150 its a no brainer for me, knowing the huge expense of retrofitting.
He also insists that its just extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #18
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Agreed, it's a no brainer option if you're ordering or manage to find the rare vehicle on the lot that had it specified. If nothing else, spend the $150 on the option and then flip the tire/wheel and tools to another owner who's looking for an OEM solution. It would be easy enough to triple your return compared to what it cost to add the option.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #19
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

For real.

I came across LexxM3's original post where he succinctly explained and documented his struggles to get a spare tire. He debunked many theories, for example the spacer won't fit M Sport brakes. Knowing his experience and exact part number I ordered it with my X5. So, it is definitely possible to order the spare in Canada at around $500 CAD, but other related accessories are expensive for what they are. I didn't get those parts.

BMW Canada discourages the dealers to NOT sell it and there is financial ulterior motives involved (🤐 .. 🤫 .. sell more RFT with star ⭐️) The part # is in the system, but with an warning message, something like … for garage use only. 100% pure BMW Canada BS 🤥
      04-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #20
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

If I end up trading my X5 I'll be removing the spare tire/wheel and all the tools. Sell it online.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
gqgambler717.50
      04-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #21
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
If I end up trading my X5 I'll be removing the spare tire/wheel and all the tools. Sell it online.
Can I put deposit for the tools 😀? First come first serve right?
      04-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #22
patrickfox
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Am curious if anyone has 'created their own spare' by ordering a single tire and single wheel package from Tire Rack?

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../packages.html

Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Package arrives mounted, balanced and ready for installation. (with or without TPMS)
Appreciate 0