BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
Farroar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 xDrive40i

Changing front breaks - hell breaks loose?

Ordered what I THOUGH were the correct rotors for my G05 2019 (no M brakes, no third row). What I received were 36mm thick and it appears that I need the 30mm? ECS said it would fit, not I need to get these rotors replaced...

BUT... I only realized this after I pulled the old pads, and tried to put them on over the rotor... Didn't fit so I backed out and put it all back to the way it was.

That's when the car freaked out. Got it to start it, first time doing this on my G05, but I just pumped the brakes and all the alarm bells sounded. 'chassis stabilization warning' 'brake malfunction warning' 'parking brake malfunction'

I surmise that I missed a step when I started the car back up. I suppose that since I pushed the pistons for the caliper back to fit the new pads that they must have triggered something when they moved back so easily?

Nothing else has changed on the car, no new parts... just some process issue. Thoughts on how I can get back to the original error of 'brake pads low'?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:16 AM   #2
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

2 warnings for the 2024 X5 front brake pad replacement. Probably the same for yours.

1. If the front brake pads and the rear brake pads are exchanged together, the parking brake button must be operated 1x and released again after completion of the first exchange (e.g. front brake pads).
If not observed, a fault memory entry will take place.

2. After a brake pad exchange and before pressing the brake pedal: Always apply the electromechanical parking brake.
If this is not observed, a CC message appears and the brake system switches to the emergency program. The brake booster is no longer active.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
Farroar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 xDrive40i

well, that sounds about right. There was an odd 'sensation' when I pressed the pedal. My previous car (e90) and all my other BMWs were hand brake only. Never had to deal with an automatic parking brake.

Any ideas on how to reset emergency mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
Zoro85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i

Having same issues with my 2019 X5 40i I changed front pads and now I have all these warnings would love to know how to reset and avoid dealer
Appreciate 0