BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Optimum No Rinse Wash

Is anyone using the Optimum No Rinse Wash to get a quick clean in the winter? I am looking for something to get the street crud off between washes. I prefer the good old hose and bucket, but need a compromise for the colder days.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Feynlabs Rinseless Wash is what I use. I haven't had any issues. I put it in a pressurised sprayer, spray let drip then wipe. works great.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Awesome, I will check it out. I was worried I would cause swirl marks using Optimum.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

I use ONR as a QD or cleaner (automotive or household)

I've been using Blackfire's WW in the winter. I just got a liter of Carpro ECH20 (another waterless wash) and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I've heard good things about Wolfgang's WW as well
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGRTOM View Post
I use ONR as a QD or cleaner (automotive or household)

I've been using Blackfire's WW in the winter. I just got a liter of Carpro ECH20 (another waterless wash) and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I've heard good things about Wolfgang's WW as well
I’ll have to check it out. I might look at the foam cannon route for winter as well. At least for the heavy salt and grime stuff. Let me know about the new stuff, as I prefer using something someone can recommend that’s used a few products. Hate this time of the year. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Foam cannon on a pressure washer is great (and fun). you can find a decent one on amazon (I think I use an older version MTM) what makes ease of use is no lance on the pressure gun. So if you can do pressure gun->foam cannon, its way easier to use than gun->lance->foam cannon. You'll have to mess with fittings to get everything to attach but worth it IMO
But - that's a warm weather wash.

When its crappy/cold I use waterless wash 3 out of 4 washes.
if you go this route get a pump sprayer, you don't need fancy, I use this guy ($11 vs $30): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a stack of MF towels too, you go thru 1-3 per panel.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Foam cannon on a pressure washer is great (and fun). you can find a decent one on amazon (I think I use an older version MTM) what makes ease of use is no lance on the pressure gun. So if you can do pressure gun->foam cannon, its way easier to use than gun->lance->foam cannon. You'll have to mess with fittings to get everything to attach but worth it IMO

if you go this route get a pump sprayer, you don't need fancy, I use this guy ($11 vs $30): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for the detailed response. I like the idea of the waterless wash, and know it is CRUCIAL to have a stack of good MF towels. Do you do this even if there is a good layer of the salt and grime along the sides and rear? My plan was to use the pressure washer with the foam cannon to knock the crap off and then go use the waterless wash. I've come to the conclusion that BMW paint, as nice as it may be, does not hold up like some of the other manufacturers. Not sure why, but I've seen some people mention they use thinner paint for "eco reasons".

To me, the idea of WW is crazy at face value, but after researching and talking to people...they swear by it, and the results are stunning.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah - the science behind the waterless wash is pretty wild.
I do use it to remove salts/mag-chloride/etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

thanks. I am going to try WW as a general clean up, but use the foam cannon to get the salt and grime off. thanks again for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

I've used optimum, works well. i do a quick power wash then spray and wipe with the no rinse wash...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:

The use of 1-3 MF towels infers your removing a lot of grime and dirt from each panel. I would be concerned about marring the paint. Has this been an issue? BTW, I get cheap MF towels at BJ’s for jobs like this. Get very dirty and I toss.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdmcg View Post
The use of 1-3 MF towels infers your removing a lot of grime and dirt from each panel. I would be concerned about marring the paint. Has this been an issue? BTW, I get cheap MF towels at BJ’s for jobs like this. Get very dirty and I toss.
depending on your definition of a panel, how dirty the car is and how concerned you are about marring...
there's a lot of trash talk about big box mf towels vs $$$ detailer towels. sure the nice ones are nice, and the cheap ones *can* be cheap. I have a set from HD that are on the sucky end and a pack from costco that are pretty awesome; its a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
depending on your definition of a panel, how dirty the car is and how concerned you are about marring...
there's a lot of trash talk about big box mf towels vs $$$ detailer towels. sure the nice ones are nice, and the cheap ones *can* be cheap. I have a set from HD that are on the sucky end and a pack from costco that are pretty awesome; its a gamble.
My problem with the MF towels is washing them. I don’t like to mix with other laundry when soiled with waxes or cleaners and they can’t be dried with softener agents which my wife uses. With two black cars I try to wash every few weeks and do a good interior cleaning every two or three washes. As a result I go through a lot of towels.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:11 AM   #14
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

There was a good thread about Ammo NYC water less wash. It also had a video in there.
Does anyone have any experience using this product. ??

By the way, I am planning to use it in horrible AZ summers when temps are 110F-115F outside. The panels heat up so bad that it is really impossible to clean as the shampoo dries off on the panels too quickly. Hence this waterless wash so that I can do it in garage, and oh with a cooler running.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
There was a good thread about Ammo NYC water less wash. It also had a video in there.
Does anyone have any experience using this product. ??

By the way, I am planning to use it in horrible AZ summers when temps are 110F-115F outside. The panels heat up so bad that it is really impossible to clean as the shampoo dries off on the panels too quickly. Hence this waterless wash so that I can do it in garage, and oh with a cooler running.
I've been using optimum for years with two buckets with good results. I try not to use it when the car is dirty with a lot of salt or road grime without a good rinse or power wash first. Super easy to use in the garage during the winter.
Appreciate 1