postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
I don't doubt that there's a means to defeat ASS, but with its integration into the mild hybrid system, it would seem likely to throw error messages and/or OBDII codes. Once at startup, would not be so bad, but if error messages recurred while driving, it could be annoying. Can you comment?
I think in my previous quote i said that i have to double check with the vendor if that module supports M60i but i didn't installed that module in M50i because in the same wiring of bdc I connected another M track module but i know these module don't throw check engine light but yes ista can detect it. Whenever I'll get the time I'll install it in my brother's 2023 X3 M40i which is mild hybrid and will check how it performs.
In X3 there's no ASS button and coding not gonna work anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:31 AM   #68
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I was thinking it was just some sorta Aliexpress thing ?
Yeah but vendors on aliexpress are just middle man they say oh yeah it works but its not that simple because wiring color code never match because the module supports multiple G series cars and BDC is a very serious module in the car , i won't suggest to start experimenting with wiring.
I bought M track module from aliexpress and took the technician 3 attempts to connect it because wiring in installation manual doesn't match and because of time zone difference and the technical support with translation makes it more difficult.
There's no check engine light in my car but ista shows issues with multiple ecu because module i installed is fooling the car thats its a real M car .
Car is running without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #69
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I was considering trading in my 2021 for a 2024 and found out that you can no longer trick sport individual to turn off ASS. What’s the difference between sport mode and toggling the gear selector?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #70
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRealtor View Post
I was considering trading in my 2021 for a 2024 and found out that you can no longer trick sport individual to turn off ASS. What’s the difference between sport mode and toggling the gear selector?
My understanding is that moving the gear selector from "D" (Drive) into "S" (Sport) only adjusts the transmission into a more spirited setting. If you engage the steering wheel shift paddles while the transmission is in "S" you then switch into manual shifting mode - otherwise the transmission remains fully automatic as it would normally be. I don't know if it's just me or the M60i, but this setting is unusable for city driving as the car constantly holds gears and keeps revs well above the needed range.

Alternatively, when you select "Sport" in the Drive Modes (the button which says Sport and is used to toggle between Sport, Sport Plus and Sport Individual) that makes adjustments to the steering, suspension and drivetrain for a more dynamic experience. You can have the car set to a "Sport" Drive Mode while still having the gear selector in the normal "D" transmission setting which I find to be the most usable setup for normal day-to-day driving around the city.

If you want the most aggressive setup, you can combine having the Drive Mode in Sport and the gear selector in the "S" transmission setting.

In the LCI, as long as either the transmission is in Sport and/or you have a Sport Drive Mode enabled (with the exception of Sport Individual if you have set the drivetrain to Comfort) - then auto start/stop is disabled.

I don't really care about fuel economy (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten this car), but if you do it's worth being aware consumption is noticeably higher in any of these configurations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:10 PM   #71
crackerjack15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I emailed bmw told me to look under drivetrain and chassis.

I have no such setting. Is it in the idrive 8 update?

This is their response...

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #72
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post

I don't have this setting, either - I really wish I did, though! I have software version 03/2023.45 and do not have any upgrades currently available...

Could that guidance be for a different vehicle or software release? I find it hard to believe the person/bot responding to your inquiry pulled that guidance out of thin air - it's bizarre they have your model and year but the documentation seems either out of date or yet to be released?

Funny enough, we just added a 2023 M550i xDrive to our garage in addition to my 24 X5 M60 - it's the G30 with the N63 engine and I think only has iDrive 7. Pics attached from my X5 M60i - will circle back once I see if the instructions BMW provided work on our 5 series. Ironically, our M550i has a dedicated auto start/stop button so frankly the iDrive route would just be redundant!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #73
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
My understanding is that moving the gear selector from "D" (Drive) into "S" (Sport) only adjusts the transmission into a more spirited setting. If you engage the steering wheel shift paddles while the transmission is in "S" you then switch into manual shifting mode - otherwise the transmission remains fully automatic as it would normally be. I don't know if it's just me or the M60i, but this setting is unusable for city driving as the car constantly holds gears and keeps revs well above the needed range.

Alternatively, when you select "Sport" in the Drive Modes (the button which says Sport and is used to toggle between Sport, Sport Plus and Sport Individual) that makes adjustments to the steering, suspension and drivetrain for a more dynamic experience. You can have the car set to a "Sport" Drive Mode while still having the gear selector in the normal "D" transmission setting which I find to be the most usable setup for normal day-to-day driving around the city.

If you want the most aggressive setup, you can combine having the Drive Mode in Sport and the gear selector in the "S" transmission setting.

In the LCI, as long as either the transmission is in Sport and/or you have a Sport Drive Mode enabled (with the exception of Sport Individual if you have set the drivetrain to Comfort) - then auto start/stop is disabled.

I don't really care about fuel economy (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten this car), but if you do it's worth being aware consumption is noticeably higher in any of these configurations.
Thank you for the explanation. I currently have sport individual set to all comfort and the ASS disables. I can’t stand the high revs driving around in Chicago at 20-35mph. After 5 bmws I never ever thought I would consider another brand but this is a huge deal breaker for me. I guess this may be a non discussion once electric takes over (if that happens). I actually tried to drive with it on today from the city to the freeway and back around 2 hours and it is misery. Maybe the phev is the answer in the short term.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #74
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have this setting, either - I really wish I did, though! I have software version 03/2023.45 and do not have any upgrades currently available...

Could that guidance be for a different vehicle or software release? I find it hard to believe the person/bot responding to your inquiry pulled that guidance out of thin air - it's bizarre they have your model and year but the documentation seems either out of date or yet to be released?

Funny enough, we just added a 2023 M550i xDrive to our garage in addition to my 24 X5 M60 - it's the G30 with the N63 engine and I think only has iDrive 7. Pics attached from my X5 M60i - will circle back once I see if the instructions BMW provided work on our 5 series. Ironically, our M550i has a dedicated auto start/stop button so frankly the iDrive route would just be redundant!
Download the bmw drivers guide app and log into your account and download the guide , if your car has that feature or option it'll show in the instruction manual index of that guide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #75
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post

Well the instructions you were sent don't appear to be for the version of iDrive 7 on our M550i, either...So it doesn't seem those are old instructions which was my guess after they didn't work on my iDrive 8 X5. I am genuinely curious at this point what they're for since they don't work on either my iDrive 7 or iDrive 8 cars haha! Attached my attempt at replicating that click path on the M550i for the hell of it and there's no direct correlation.

Luckily the M550i has a dedicated auto start/stop deactivation button right with the ignition!

This auto start/stop fiasco on my 24 X5 M60i is part of why I leapt at buying the 23 M550i for our household this week since we had a lease that was ending on another car. We wanted to purchase the G30 5 Series before the new 5 Series rolls out. For the time being the only "M60" for the 24 G60 5 Series is the fully electric i5, but our sales associate said they're anticipating a V8 model will come after the M5. Both the M5 and whatever the V8 5 series will be called have the engine that's in my X5 M60i (the M5 is apparently going to be a plug-in hybrid?) and frankly I think I prefer the previous generation of V8s after living with the new one for a few months especially with the way they've implemented hybridization.

Again - happy BMW managed to get another generation of V8 out there with all the compliance and regulatory constraints but it's definitely a more compromised overall experience than I was expecting. At the end of the day, auto start/stop was meant to address engines idling - to shut the engine off when the vehicle is at rest to reduce emissions. I don't have any reason to argue for sitting at a long red light with the engine on. But if the car is in motion, I wouldn't consider that idling? If the car isn't actually stopped, why is it cutting off the engine?

Cutting the engine just to restart it a split second or two later at every moment in time I drop below 10 mph is ludicrous...I wish that these types of things were actually going to make a difference when it comes to the climate and environment, but this was clearly more for gaming the EPA/EEA fleet numbers than anything else. Interrupting my driving by cutting my engine hundreds of thousands of excess times for literally a second over its lifetime is not going to make a bit of difference for the climate and it's almost more frustrating being reminded how futile this is. Especially since my only recourse - outside of getting rid of the car which would be wild - is to emit orders of magnitude more by driving in Sport!

The thing that gets me is if you purchased a new car for $100K+ and as you were driving off the lot the engine the shut down and restarted three times before you even got to the street (and killed the AC with it in August in California) - in any other world - you'd assume you had gotten a faulty vehicle. But we've been gaslit into being like "well it was worse before the 48v" when this is still not expected or acceptable performance for any other type of equipment. If every time you looked away from your computer, tv or phone screen they shut off and restarted to conserve energy and cut emissions because (maybe) you were going to be idling them, we'd say that was absurd. No matter how much they improved how quickly they restarted when you looked back, that interruption would be unacceptable. And being told that if you just use your computer, tv or phone on on max brightness and volume with several apps running simultaneously all the time that they will stay on would also seem ridiculous. It would sound insane. That's how it feels modulating a 500+ hp twin turbo V8 in Sport mode at 7 AM in stop and go city traffic through a school zone when you know the car is perfectly capable of more measured driving in Comfort. If it weren't for the fact it cuts its own engine off dozens of times in a span of a few minutes.

I am thrilled for the people who seem unbothered by this technology - but I can't relate! I have a neighbor who had a smoke detector beeping every few minutes because the battery needed to be changed for an entire week. He didn't seem to mind it - after the full week I brought him a battery for my own sake. He seemed surprised it was driving me crazy, but didn't question whether the issue was really valid. He seemed to be used to it and able to go about his business with this thing chirping in the background whereas I - in another apartment - was going insane. I am glad some folks glide through their drives being regularly interrupted and just continue onward.

I'm personally six BMWs in - I guess ten total for my household now over my lifetime if I add in my Dad's decades back - because I fell in love with the "ultimate driving machine." The perfect and uncompromising balance of livable performance and quality. That experience and feeling doesn't hold up when the default setting on the machine is to putter out and stutter/surge out of the garage and to the end of the driveway each morning and around town at every stop sign and turn thereafter.

I know these aren't real world problems and apologies for the rant...I'll just be rip roaring around in Sport through the city each day in the X5, it's asinine but I still love the car too much to part with it. And now we've got the "old" M550, too which spares us this nonsense!
Attached Images

Last edited by MC113; 09-08-2023 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 5
Tejas18361002.00
1Boxer34.50
Mtn2Srf283.50
mm93514.50
      09-07-2023, 10:24 PM   #76
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbox1918 View Post
Download the bmw drivers guide app and log into your account and download the guide , if your car has that feature or option it'll show in the instruction manual index of that guide.
Thank you for this! It looks like the instructions the person gave in their email response were referencing documentation for vehicles without the mild hybrid tech...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:39 PM   #77
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for this! It looks like the instructions the person gave in their email response were referencing documentation for vehicles without the mild hybrid tech...
Yeah that's what i was thinking that instructions are may be for non mild hybrid vehicles .
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #78
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:

I think this setting is available for markets other than the U.S. market.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #79
crackerjack15
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 06:52 AM   #80
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin View Post
New '24 M60i owner here.

Does the ASS system use the hybrid motor or an old-fashioned starter motor? I briefly owned a '21 Mercedes GLE 580 that used the former—the ASS system was almost imperceptible.

I love my M60i but I agree that the ASS is its least-desirable feature.
ASS yes uses the hybrid motor when the engines warm. Meant to be smooth and easy.

Cold starts are via a traditional starter motor.

Wonder if the dealership can turn off with 2024 lci?

They definately could with the f30 model permanently if wanted too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #81
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:

This is an excellent explanation of the various settings available and what is to be expected. You have presented these options in a logical way. Thanks!
I also find the "S" transmission setting alone to be unfriendly in most situations as it holds gears in the 4-5,000 rpm range which is unnerving. The sport button alone on the consol seems to do best what I am looking for which is just the 1st level but sport plus is cool too in certain situations and I am with you on having no concerns about gas mileage.
Looking forward to getting a few thousand miles on this beast and then throwing a piggy tuner on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #82
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Very special thanks to crackerjack15 in the X7 forums - https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2047654 - his solution of disabling auto start/stop via changing the Traction Control setting works.

So you press the physical "DSC Off" button which opens up the Stability Control menu in iDrive. If you select "Traction" then auto start/stop is disabled while driving in Comfort Mode.

Obviously drive with Traction Control off at your own risk, I'm not personally advising or endorsing it as I'd imagine there's tradeoffs in terms of driver safety. I just plan to use it as a fix for my low speed city driving frustrations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #83
crackerjack15
Major
Rep

Awesome! Thanks mc113 for posting. I forgot to post in this thread. It works well and who needs traction control for city driving anyhow. If you use the cruise control it does re-enable traction control, but it's easy to disengage again.

Times I don't mind start/stop is when the a/c is off and I'm driving in light traffic with normal stops. Then sitting at a light with the engine off makes sense. But, in heavy stop and go, or frequent turns, its miserable.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 12:19 PM   #84
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

If anyone's got concerns about driving in DTC to disable auto stop-start, there's some good info in this thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1214851. It's not dangerous at all in my opinion, especially in slow-moving situations. I feel that even DSC fully off is perfectly fine going slow (in easy weather conditions). On the throttle in a corner is a different story though.
      09-12-2023, 06:34 PM   #85
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Just FYI, if you select "Traction", stability control is still on, so if you start to slide, the computer will try its best to keep you from spinning.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 12:13 AM   #86
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Point of clarification I just learned earlier today: when you press "DSC OFF" - then select "Traction" from the menu which opens - you are turning ON Traction Mode. So turning ON Traction Mode is actually the workaround for deactivating auto start/stop in the Comfort Drive Mode. I had my car in service for something unrelated and my Service Advisor clarified what the "Traction" setting was when you first press the "DSC Off" button. This video does a great job explaining what Traction Mode actually is and why (implicitly) it would make sense that it would deactivate auto start/stop:

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MC113; 09-23-2023 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:59 AM   #87
mm9351
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Frankly, all of this discussion on the auto stop start feature really makes me appreciate my pre LCI vehicle even more. Thankfully the shifts from stop/start are so subtle I don't even think about it with the non-hybrid version. Glad to see there is a work-around even if it requires a few extra steps.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #88
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

This start/stop issue is a non-issue IMO. It's so subtle that I hardly notice it after one month of driving.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0