BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2023, 06:28 PM   #67
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

I should of mentioned it but I only have 100 amp service my house was built in the 1960’s going larger would of been stretching it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:04 PM   #68
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10596 View Post
I should of mentioned it but I only have 100 amp service my house was built in the 1960’s going larger would of been stretching it.
Yeah, you're not alone. I live in a townhouse, in the middle of a row of them...our meters are at the end house, so running new service would have required accessing about 6 neighbors, and since the wiring is hidden in the ceiling, and fireproofed between units, REALLY expensive, so you make do with what you have.

In reality, a level 2, 16A unit would fit most people's situation...running overnight, for the average commute, you should always be able to leave home with enough to get back, and likely be full before the next weekend where you might want to use it all again.

Now, the 50e can handle twice the power input so can get there faster IF you can feed it enough, but still the same thing...it would likely be full regardless even with the 16A unit in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:55 PM   #69
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Yeah, you're not alone. I live in a townhouse, in the middle of a row of them...our meters are at the end house, so running new service would have required accessing about 6 neighbors, and since the wiring is hidden in the ceiling, and fireproofed between units, REALLY expensive, so you make do with what you have.

In reality, a level 2, 16A unit would fit most people's situation...running overnight, for the average commute, you should always be able to leave home with enough to get back, and likely be full before the next weekend where you might want to use it all again.

Now, the 50e can handle twice the power input so can get there faster IF you can feed it enough, but still the same thing...it would likely be full regardless even with the 16A unit in the morning.
In this scenario, depends where your breaker resides. I think most town homes each have their own breaker. So you should be able to get a dedicated level 2 plug. Put your total panel amps and draw based on the size of your house also matters.

I know some people who don’t want to install a new line, split a line from their dryer plug which is usually a Nema 14-30? You can get a ULC certified splitter for it. It’ll be capable of 24 amp charging MAX.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:52 AM   #70
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

We each have our own panels, but the line feeding them from the individual meters is what would have to be upgraded to upgrade the whole panel's capacity...as I said, in my case, that run would be about 120' through a bunch of other's basement ceilings and across numerous firewalls...not something that is practical.

My thoughts have always been to put in the largest EVSE, or at least power run, as your current panel can support...if that's only a 20A circuit...so be it. I was able to put in a 40A one primarily because the only high current load I have is the central air...stove, dryer, heat are gas...that does prevent me from considering an induction stove, but hey...I'll probably move or die before that becomes mandatory.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:58 AM   #71
mcdude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

Public Charging X5 45e

I wonder if someone can help. I just bought a 2023 BMW X5 45e, which (I believe) uses a J1772 cable. Except at Chargepoint, I haven't been able to charge it at most public charging stations (e.g., Electrify America). Is there an adapter that would enable charging the vehicle at a public station using (for example) CCS or CHAdeMO cables? Or is the car just not meant to be charged at public stations?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #72
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Car can be charge at any public L2 evse with J1772 or even Tesla destination evse if you have adapter. This car can NOT take DC charging, so no CSS, no ChadMo.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4675.50
mcdude0.00
      05-03-2023, 12:26 PM   #73
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Car can be charge at any public L2 evse with J1772 or even Tesla destination evse if you have adapter. This car can NOT take DC charging, so no CSS, no ChadMo.
mcdude it’s a good thing you didn’t attempt to charge your 45e at a DC fast charging station with an adapter (if a J1772 to CCS/CHAdeMO adapter even exists)!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #74
mcdude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

Thanks for the concise info, eelnoraa That helps narrow down the adapter I need to order and the stations I need to search for.

nZtiZia You can't imagine the look on my face the first time I drove up to Electrify America and pulled the CCS cable, then the CHAdeMO cable. Maybe it's a common sight, but I'm sure I was spectacle!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 02:04 PM   #75
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, there are public level 2 EVSEs, and there are more of them than DC fast chargers of whatever type. Even Tesla has some level 2 devices, but with their plug on it...they call them destination chargers you might find at hotels, etc., With an adapter, if those are free, you can charge your X5. Tesla has a protocol that enables the vehicle to 'talk' to the charge point to verify identity and determine if the vehicle is authorized (for payment, if setup that way), so you need one that doesn't do that.
Appreciate 0