BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
Ibby
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d M Sport (G05)

Running boards (UK)

Hi all. This is mainly directed at posters from the UK. Have any of you installed running boards on your G05? If so where did you get them from please (would appreciate any links). Also did you install them yourself or get a garage to install them (pics of the finished product also appreciated )
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I thought about it mate but not found any I like. Tbh I already get annoyed by the sills often catching my legs getting out of the car and from what I’ve read the running boards accentuate this.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I thought about it mate but not found any I like. Tbh I already get annoyed by the sills often catching my legs getting out of the car and from what I’ve read the running boards accentuate this.
Agreed, I've tested both versions, with and without the running boards. While I like the way they look, the OEM versions are not wide enough to provide any sort of usefulness, standing on them while getting in makes you too tall to enter the car comfortably. We found them to just be cosmetic and after getting in and out of all the test runs, my wife had black and blue marks on the back of her legs - she's 5'6" tall.

Someone on this forum posted running boards from a website, may have been a site that specializes in running boards for Porsches, they are wider and you can actually get your foot on them but then again, they make you too talk to comfortably enter and exit the car and I found them unattractive due to their extra width.
Oops, I'm not in the UK, but used to live there, does that count?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Tbh I already get annoyed by the sills often catching my legs getting out of the car and from what I’ve read the running boards accentuate this.
Spot on. I had them on a Land Cruiser to help with loads on the roof but I couldn’t get out the vehicle without rubbing against them, I’m not short either! Maybe the X5 is slightly lower so they might not be an issue. I would suggest you try locate an X5 that’s for sale with them on and see if you clear them getting out.
Appreciate 0