BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
sonjack
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Question Focal ES100 K Install Help 45e

Hello I have just taken delivery of my X5 45e and after a lot of research on this forum went with a Match UP7DSP/MEC amp and am upgrading the speakers. I went with the Kevlar Focal version that is not PNP the ES100K2. I have the adapter rings. I am looking for any insight from others that have put these in as replacements. 2 items I am most interested in is the placement for the crossover in the door and wiring connections given they are not PNP is what I really want to nail. I also have 2 Earthquake subs to replace the stock subwoofers. It will be a tall install for me but going to go for it with the help of all the great posts and info you all share. Any additional insights would be welcome on the above speakers. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Did you ever get this installed? How was it?
Getting my K2's in another week or so along with the adapter rings, and thinking of ordering the Earthquake subs, but wondering if you installed those yet too?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
Mstephen
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x40i

kevlar Focal Speakers

Please let me know how they sound? The Kevlar's are not as efficient as the 100's. I have been told that the Match up amps are not powerful enough to drive the kevlars. I wanted to install them in my car.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

I had feedback from another member "Shatty" who installed this combo.

Re Earthquakes: They are great. Handle more power than all others too. Ur not gunna get the same sound as if u had 2 10s in a box but for ur listening pleasure they are great. They are cheap too. Also, with adapter ring version, these are PnP.

Ref K2s: But I went with all K2 speakers from focal and the two earthquake subs. I love the way it sounds

I am also doing the same install with Match PP86DSP
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
I had feedback from another member "Shatty" who installed this combo.

Re Earthquakes: They are great. Handle more power than all others too. Ur not gunna get the same sound as if u had 2 10s in a box but for ur listening pleasure they are great. They are cheap too. Also, with adapter ring version, these are PnP.

Ref K2s: But I went with all K2 speakers from focal and the two earthquake subs. I love the way it sounds

I am also doing the same install with Match PP86DSP
Did he have hifi or hk?
Also, did he go with the earthquake 8x (4 ohm) or 8xi (2ohm)?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update on the install

Amplifier Install: was relatively easy with the bimmertech harness and bracket. I installed it myself

I had installer install the K2s, the earthquakes subwoofers and the center channel.

Earthquakes - no additional connectors were needed. These were plug n play.

K2s - installer did a great job on the install and crossover location. The K2s fit with the bracket. The tweeters did not fit the bracket, however, he managed to fit them in. Didn’t seem much work.

Rear Tweeter install: for some reason, looks like bmw soldered the door handle and a different door handle is needed for the tweeters. So it was a little tedious job to get it off and install the new door handle.

Shop I used was Bumper to Bumper car audio in freehold, NJ. Straight up guys, no BS, no fluff. Saw a lot of high end cars roll in. They do good work and recommend good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

What did you use for rear door speakers and center channel?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 02:58 AM   #8
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I used K2s for the rears and Match UP X4-BMWCTR.3 for the center.

I left the K2 tweeter crossovers at 0db. I don’t find the tweeters harsh at all. The K2 upgrade is very evident.

I think the earthquakes will need break in, however, they sound very decent for now.

Just the Amp upgrade alone brought the volume levels and the sound close to the HK system. One can argue that it maybe even sounding better than HK. However, with that extra power, the stock speakers were sounding a little harsh. So had to lower the treble. The stock subwoofers did very well with the amp upgrade. To the point that I was contemplating that do I even need the subwoofer upgrade.

In general if someone is reading this and building their car, I’d still get HK system as it is only $850 and gives you 16 speakers and a better amplifier. Then if you like to take it slow, I’d start with replacing the front doors with K2s>Match PnP>Focal PnP and go from there. I don’t know the specs or Bimmertech or Bavsounds, though I feel they’d be a good option over stock speakers too.

Last edited by 2dangerous; 05-14-2022 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

K2's installed installed in front
8xi's installed under seats
IS 100L installed in rear
ICC 100 installed in dash

Have not driven or tested it really besides just making sure everything works.

All of it was a massive pain in the ass with the combination of me swapping out my headlights so bumper removal was the royal pain

Hipe I will like how it apunds withput getting the 10DSP amp and hope HK will suffice for the time being
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

If anyone is interested installed K2's, i mounted the crossover box behind the flap in the fabric on the door itself with double sided tape.

The IS 100L crossover was mounted on the door panel right under the arm rest of the panel to the very end.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #11
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
If anyone is interested installed K2's, i mounted the crossover box behind the flap in the fabric on the door itself with double sided tape.

The IS 100L crossover was mounted on the door panel right under the arm rest of the panel to the very end.
This is where the installer mounted the crossover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:51 PM   #12
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
This is where the installer mounted the crossover.
Thank you for this! I mounted mine in a different spot, on the right most side of that picture I think.
Appreciate 0