BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2020, 05:52 AM   #1
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

Tow Hook and Tailgate smart kick opener together ?

I know adding the BMW tow hook removed the smart tailgate kick opener... I really wonder why they could not make them coexist...

is there any way to add the kick opener later ? I guess the kick detection could be retrofitted even if it is not as perfectly as when there is no tow hook installed ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

It's strange.... Here in the UK you can have both. At least I do on my 2020 M50d.
      11-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

My guess — and this is only supposition— is that they removed it to prevent any liability from someone opening the tailgate while trying to remove a bicycle from a trailer-hitch mounted bicycle rack or similar. It would be quite easy to accidentally activate the sensor when unhooking something from a hitch-mounted rack.

I believe the UK has a ball-hitch as standard, and therefore would not accept the same kind of North American hitch accessories, thus making that issue moot. I may well be mistaken though.

Whatever the reason, I’m sure BMW felt it was a good one: it certainly wouldn’t affect the cost to them to have kept it, which forces me to believe that it was a deliberate choice based on solid reasoning.

For what it is worth, I have the hitch and don’t miss the lack of sensor. I also recommend everyone order their X5 with the hitch if they even think they may want to tow something or use it to mount a bike rack: adding an oem hitch afterwards is near impossible, and even aftermarket ones will cost far more than ordering it from the factory. And I don’t think it detracts from the looks at all... it is noticeable, but not ugly. And this is an SUV after all!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Precision, precision, precision. The thing that could legitimately be described as a "tow hook" is the European version of the tow package and DOES retain the kick-to-open functionality. The thing that would be described as a "towing receiver" (and could never be described as a "tow hook" any more than an apple could be described as a weird orange) is the North American version of the tow package and does NOT (stupidly) retain the kick-to-open. Pics of two systems below.

There has been assertion that aftermarket Stealth Hitch receiver retrofit will retain kick to open, but there are plenty of difficulties with electronics and parking warning systems without careful attention to those. It can, as almost anything, be made to work ... with attention and effort. Search for the many threads on this.
Attached Images

11-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
My guess — and this is only supposition— is that they removed it to prevent any liability from someone opening the tailgate while trying to remove a bicycle from a trailer-hitch mounted bicycle rack or similar. It would be quite easy to accidentally activate the sensor when unhooking something from a hitch-mounted rack.

I believe the UK has a ball-hitch as standard, and therefore would not accept the same kind of North American hitch accessories, thus making that issue moot. I may well be mistaken though.

Whatever the reason, I’m sure BMW felt it was a good one: it certainly wouldn’t affect the cost to them to have kept it, which forces me to believe that it was a deliberate choice based on solid reasoning.
Sorry, don't buy either of those arguments at all. The NA package already disables lots of systems when towing, it would have been trivial to have a sensor to indicate something is inserted into the receiver to prevent auto opening functions. And as is, there are still plenty of ways to open your hatch from the car or remote into your bike rack. There are a ridiculous amount of sensors already in the car, one more would have made no difference.

No, this was obviously an afterthought-style incompetence, where the guy designing placement of the kick sensors forgot about towing and the guy designing the NA tow package afterwards either didn't care or was under a deadline to "just get it done". Not end of the world, but not letting BMW off the hook on this one.
      11-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Precision, precision, precision. The thing that could legitimately be described as a "tow hook" is the European version of the tow package and DOES retain the kick-to-open functionality. The thing that would be described as a "towing receiver" (and could never be described as a "tow hook" any more than an apple could be described as a weird orange) is the North American version of the tow package and does NOT (stupidly) retain the kick-to-open. Pics of two systems below.

There has been assertion that aftermarket Stealth Hitch receiver retrofit will retain kick to open, but there are plenty of difficulties with electronics and parking warning systems without careful attention to those. Search for the many threads on this.
THIS ^^^^^ is why I love forums. I never knew there were different tow packages between regions. Now things make more sense.
      11-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Sorry, don't buy either of those arguments at all. The NA package already disables lots of systems when towing, it would have been trivial to have a sensor to indicate something is inserted into the receiver to prevent auto opening functions. And as is, there are still plenty of ways to open your hatch from the car or remote into your bike rack. There are a ridiculous amount of sensors already in the car, one more would have made no difference.

No, this was obviously an afterthought-style incompetence, where the guy designing placement of the kick sensors forgot about towing and the guy designing the NA tow package afterwards either didn't care or was under a deadline to "just get it done". Not end of the world, but not letting BMW off the hook on this one.
You may be right. I don’t like to believe that incompetence would win the day, but I’ve seen worse examples where it has
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In many places in the world, having something like a bike carrier on the hitch also requires adding lights, and in some cases a license plate to augment those in the vehicle that may be obstructed. So, there would be something plugged into the vehicle. As is, there's no sensor in the receiver that says there's something in there or not...it requires a plug inserted to perform that.

YOu can buy relatively inexpensive light bars in Europe, and some of the big bike carrier companies make their own (more money, nicer integration). On my previous BMW, that's what I did to automatically disable the PDC sensors, and provide unobstructed rear lights for safety.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

you'd think BMW would have figured that out during the past 5 generation of X5 they have built !
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

link to good old thread onthe subject aht I just found
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1630383
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
And my favourite corollary: "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice".
      11-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
And my favourite corollary: "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice".
Appreciate 0