BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

My Custom Order

New member to the board here. Have owned several different BMWs in the past (E30, E34, E46, F15) and have made my first custom order back on 6/13. It went immediately to scheduled for production on 6/14 and changed to production begins on 6/18. BMW Genius says production completion on 7/8. I have two questions -- first of all, when will actual assembly begin if scheduled completion is 7/8? Secondly, does anyone know what transport times are from the factory within the southeast (specifically Alabama)? Thanks in advance for your responses. Below is the summary of my build.

xDrive 40i
Arctic Grey Metallic
Coffee Vernasca Leather
Convenience Package
Premium Package 2
Executive Package
Driver Assistance Pro Package
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
Harman Kardon Sound System
Heated Front & Rear Seats
Heated Armrest & Steering Wheel
Leather Dashboard
Multi-Contour Seats
Brown Poplar Wood Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome and looks like a nice build. When it begins will depend on their schedule but it usually only takes a few days including QC but that varies. Shipping will depend in the carriers and their schedule but probably 2-4 days.
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      06-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

My dealer tells me that they have seen vehicles show up 72 hours after they start production (in Charlotte).

Mine started today
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome and looks like a nice build. When it begins will depend on their schedule but it usually only takes a few days including QC but that varies. Shipping will depend in the carriers and their schedule but probably 2-4 days.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
My dealer tells me that they have seen vehicles show up 72 hours after they start production (in Charlotte).

Mine started today
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
cwiginton
Private
Rep

So, today is the completion date according to BMW Genius. When I got up this morning, I checked and the online status had jumped directly to "Entering Assembly Line" where it has stayed all day long to this point.

I am not going to admit how many times I have checked on the status today, but I'm a little surprised that it has stalled out.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The online status is not accurate. Your dealer can always give you the latest info. Production only takes a day or two. After that your car awaits transport for potentially a few days, then gets to the dealer, but the dealer doesn’t know exactly when it will arrive on transport.

Mine took five days to get from SC to Delaware. It’s about a 10-hour drive, but my dealer is small and they may have put it in a depot until they had more than one to deliver to my dealer. I dunno. It was disconcerting that it took so long.

So, get a number you can text your sales associate. That is the best way to get timely and accurate info.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
The online status is not accurate. Your dealer can always give you the latest info. Production only takes a day or two. After that your car awaits transport for potentially a few days, then gets to the dealer, but the dealer doesn’t know exactly when it will arrive on transport.

Mine took five days to get from SC to Delaware. It’s about a 10-hour drive, but my dealer is small and they may have put it in a depot until they had more than one to deliver to my dealer. I dunno. It was disconcerting that it took so long.

So, get a number you can text your sales associate. That is the best way to get timely and accurate info.
Sales associate says it will be completed soon and should be at the dealership early next week. Still no change in the online info. It's frustrating that the online info is no more accurate than it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton View Post
Sales associate says it will be completed soon and should be at the dealership early next week. Still no change in the online info. It's frustrating that the online info is no more accurate than it is.
I thought I read on here that they removed that feature, but I guess not. It never works and never has worked. It’s ridiculous, and gives a very bad impression of BMW’s competence to a newbie like me.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I thought I read on here that they removed that feature, but I guess not. It never works and never has worked. It’s ridiculous, and gives a very bad impression of BMW’s competence to a newbie like me.
Agreed. I'm not a BMW newbie, but this is my first custom order. You would think with the way these things have to be tracked through the assembly line to ensure the correct build, there would be a more foolproof way to tie the consumer update system into that system. Of course this is coming from a lawyer and not a computer guy or engineer.

As an aside, mine updated to quality check overnight and is now awaiting carrier assignment, so I guess my SA was correct that it should be here the first of next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed. I'm not a BMW newbie, but this is my first custom order. You would think with the way these things have to be tracked through the assembly line to ensure the correct build, there would be a more foolproof way to tie the consumer update system into that system. Of course this is coming from a lawyer and not a computer guy or engineer.

As an aside, mine updated to quality check overnight and is now awaiting carrier assignment, so I guess my SA was correct that it should be here the first of next week.
Seems like the tracking for your car is surprisingly accurate. Maybe they fixed the system, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Took delivery today. Delivery went smoothly except for an issue with the ESA, but it eventually went through and I was able to connect to ConnectedDrive.

Here are a few pics I took.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ Congratulations. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
mephisto2k2
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Took delivery today. Delivery went smoothly except for an issue with the ESA, but it eventually went through and I was able to connect to ConnectedDrive.
Here are a few pics I took.
The dealer put a sticker on a custom order prior to delivery? That is tacky! Why did you not insist on removal?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephisto2k2 View Post
The dealer put a sticker on a custom order prior to delivery? That is tacky! Why did you not insist on removal?
Because I've never been one to get stressed out about dealer stickers on vehicles. It really doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0