BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The road you are testing on is concrete?? I have heard weird concrete / tire hums on certain kinds of concrete textures on road trips. It is only on certain sections of concrete roads. It’s very rare and only was ever heard on that type of surface. I experienced it with my 20” wheels down south on a stretch of road in SC and only this certain stretch of road. It was so bizarre as the rest of our 1100 miles were normal/quiet. I would imagine 22” wheels would have been significantly louder and maddening. It was a combination of texture, surface and wheel tire resonating at a certain speed.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #24
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The road you are testing on is concrete?? I have heard weird concrete / tire hums on certain kinds of concrete textures on road trips. It is only on certain sections of concrete roads. It's very rare and only was ever heard on that type of surface. I heard in with my 20" wheels down south on a stretch of road in SC and only this certain stretch of road. It was so bizarre as the rest of our 1100 miles were normal/quiet. I would imagine 22" wheels would have been significantly louder and maddening. It was a combination of texture, surface and wheel tire resonating at a certain speed.
Yes, It is much more apparent on concrete roads and highways since they aren't smooth and have continuous small bumps that the tire has to try and absorb. On smoother roads it's much quieter, but sound will still show up on even slightly bumpy stretches. On long highway stretches it's a constant drone that is really annoying.

However on my loaner with 21" run flats, the sound is not nearly as apparent on the same roads and is acceptable. Surprising a 21" run flat would be that much quieter than 22" non run flats, but maybe the contis are just that much louder? But I'm not seeing that others on the forum are complaining about it though. I'll hear what dealer has to say tomorrow, but I'm braced for them to say it's normal. I may try and test drive a similar car myself as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #25
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I won’t travel across country in mixed weather in anything larger than my 20” RF/wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #26
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Your tires are defective and probably have flat spots in them. Had the same problem with a previous car, new tires solved the problem. Was your car sitting on the lot for a while before you purchased?
No, it was built only a week and a half before I picked it up at the Performance Center...
Very likely defective tires. Swap out all 4 as it would be impossible to narrow down to a specific tire. Personally, if you have conti's on there now, I would suggest you request pirelli's, they have a nicer sidewall than the conti's in the 22inch size.
atl_1M1520.00
      03-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #27
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your tires are defective and probably have flat spots in them. Had the same problem with a previous car, new tires solved the problem. Was your car sitting on the lot for a while before you purchased?
No, it was built only a week and a half before I picked it up at the Performance Center...
Very likely defective tires. Swap out all 4 as it would be impossible to narrow down to a specific tire. Personally, if you have conti's on there now, I would suggest you request pirelli's, they have a nicer sidewall than the conti's in the 22inch size.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. In terms of sidewall on the pirelli, Its subjective. Personally I feel like it makes the tire look too small for an suv of this size and is more suited to a coupe or sedan. But if I'm sure the tire noise would be reduced on the pirellis I guess I'd be willing to make the trade off.
Appreciate 1
Luminor5131243.00
      03-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #28
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. In terms of sidewall on the pirelli, Its subjective. Personally I feel like it makes the tire look too small for an suv of this size and is more suited to a coupe or sedan. But if I'm sure the tire noise would be reduced on the pirellis I guess I'd be willing to make the trade off.
Agreed it's all subjective. If you prefer the look of the conti's, a new set of those should do the trick and get rid of that noise.
      03-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #29
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

My service rep called and said they're going to have one of their district people take a look and see what the issue might be. And that they wouldn't know anything before Friday at the earliest... my guess is they found nothing wrong, and now they're going to check with the district guy to be sure before telling me it's normal. But we'll see.
Appreciate 1
Artc5.00
      03-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #30
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have stock 22" tires with the same Contis and mine are dead quiet. Have about 3k miles on them right now. I don't have air suspension though. Just the M Adaptive.

One thing to remember, any ultra high performance summer tire you buy will exhibit increasing higher road noise as they wear more and more. It's just the nature of the beast. What you're hearing is not typical road noise associated with UHP tires close to end of life.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #31
turcoferno
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i MSport

GA400 North I was about to get the 22" wheel/tire combo as well but changed to 21" wheels after my final test drive with a 22" on the same highway. Car was very quiet on all other roads I tested but once I got on GA400 and went up to 70mph it got loud. I experienced the same noise as car passed over each expansion joint on the concrete highway. I wonder if other owners reporting quiet rides are also driving on concrete highways or just asphalt. I am guessing this is just the nature of the low profile tires on those 22" wheels.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #32
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcoferno View Post
GA400 North I was about to get the 22" wheel/tire combo as well but changed to 21" wheels after my final test drive with a 22" on the same highway. Car was very quiet on all other roads I tested but once I got on GA400 and went up to 70mph it got loud. I experienced the same noise as car passed over each expansion joint on the concrete highway. I wonder if other owners reporting quiet rides are also driving on concrete highways or just asphalt. I am guessing this is just the nature of the low profile tires on those 22" wheels.
Ha, yup 400N. I posted the video from there to show how loud the tire sound can really get. But it's still there even on less rough roads, and mostly gone on the smoothest. But the dealer apparently swapped the tires for new ones and the sound is still there. So they called the district engineer to come take a look. I'm waiting to hear what he says on Monday, but at this point I'm thinking they'll say it's normal. Just really surprised not many others are really complaining about it since it's hard to overlook. Sound gives me a headache on long stretches of highway. Even my 1M is quieter on the highway. Oh well, I'll see if they can try out the pirellis to check if sound is less. But I may just have to deal with it. Hopefully there are more quiet tire options available by the time they wear out.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #33
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ha, yup 400N. I posted the video from there to show how loud the tire sound can really get. But it's still there even on less rough roads, and mostly gone on the smoothest. But the dealer apparently swapped the tires for new ones and the sound is still there. So they called the district engineer to come take a look. I'm waiting to hear what he says on Monday, but at this point I'm thinking they'll say it's normal. Just really surprised not many others are really complaining about it since it's hard to overlook. Sound gives me a headache on long stretches of highway. Even my 1M is quieter on the highway. Oh well, I'll see if they can try out the pirellis to check if sound is less. But I may just have to deal with it. Hopefully there are more quiet tire options available by the time they wear out.
I live in Alpharetta so drive GA400 quite often. I haven't experienced this or any above average road noise. Definitely not something that has me regret my choice. Those 22" make the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #34
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I live in Alpharetta so drive GA400 quite often. I haven't experienced this or any above average road noise. Definitely not something that has me regret my choice. Those 22" make the car.
Do you have pirelli or contis on your 22"?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Contis. I'm about to hop on 400 to see if my new crossbars whistle so I'll also check again for this noise, or any noise.

As for replacement tires, there's an all season 22" that's oem on Bentley. I think they're Pirelli tires. Pricey at $2,000 for the set but should give better noise and ride comfort then the UHP summer tires.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #36
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Contis. I'm about to hop on 400 to see if my new crossbars whistle so I'll also check again for this noise, or any noise.

As for replacement tires, there's an all season 22" that's oem on Bentley. I think they're Pirelli tires. Pricey at $2,000 for the set but should give better noise and ride comfort then the UHP summer tires.
Thanks, look forward to hearing back. And if you tell me you don't hear anything, I may ask for a ride so I can believe it for myself haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
matthew_hull
BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
2020 X5 x40i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, look forward to hearing back. And if you tell me you don't hear anything, I may ask for a ride so I can believe it for myself haha.
Just drove down from exit 9 to 7... Over 70mph. No noise except for a very slight thud when you go over the expansion joints. Barely audible over the wind noise. I have a video but not sure how to post.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #39
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just drove down from exit 9 to 7... Over 70mph. No noise except for a very slight thud when you go over the expansion joints. Barely audible over the wind noise. I have a video but not sure how to post.
You're kidding... In order to post, I just upload to my YouTube login and then send out the link. If you'd be willing to do that, would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #40
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're kidding... In order to post, I just upload to my YouTube login and then send out the link. If you'd be willing to do that, would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      03-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #41
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for posting. Your tire noise is definitely much more muted than what I hear from mine. I think I'm going to see if I can test drive one off the lot with a similar setup to hear for myself if they come back on Monday and say it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #42
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for posting. Your tire noise is definitely much more muted than what I hear from mine. I think I'm going to see if I can test drive one off the lot with a similar setup to hear for myself if they come back on Monday and say it's normal.
Glad to help. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #43
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Dealer called and said they checked a similarly equipped car with the same wheels/tires and the noise is consistent. Therefore they deemed the sound to be normal. They have the other car for me to drive/test.

Long story short, maybe I'm the crazy one who is surprised by how loud these tires are. And that's coming from a 1M, so I'm used to a stiff suspension and low profile tires. I guess it is what it is. I could ask for Pirellis, but there's a chance the sound is the same, and then I'd be left with tires that I'm not a fan of the sidewall for.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #44
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Test drive a car with Pirellis then?
Appreciate 0