BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

How to Open Skylounge Roof............

.......glass, but not the blind the whole way..... is that possible?

I have pressed the button and played but sometimes I don't want the blind fully open all the way to the back, but i want the glass fully open.... Find it frustrating....

Anyone else finding that?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Not possible unfortunately. I personally have the blind open 99% of the time. Make the interior feel larger and lighter but sun is never intrusive thanks to the tint
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Interesting, I've not tried this! Next drive I will attempt. I know I've had the blind adjusted randomly but not tried to open the glass all the way.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
......but sun is never intrusive......
says the guy from London
Appreciate 4
volodp196.50
sjak92149.50
BigHunk269.50
      05-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
.......glass, but not the blind the whole way..... is that possible?

I have pressed the button and played but sometimes I don't want the blind fully open all the way to the back, but i want the glass fully open.... Find it frustrating....

Anyone else finding that?
What you could try is when they are both closed you push the button back twice. They will open both and once the roof is open you stop the blind moving by pushing the button forward or backward. I think the blind should stop halfway or further depending where you stop.

Ik doesn't seems like a good idea to have the blind closed more than the roof. I think the wind could damage the blind.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:02 AM   #6
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
......but sun is never intrusive......
says the guy from London
Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
What you could try is when they are both closed you push the button back twice. They will open both and once the roof is open you stop the blind moving by pushing the button forward or backward. I think the blind should stop halfway or further depending where you stop.

Ik doesn't seems like a good idea to have the blind closed more than the roof. I think the wind could damage the blind.
This. Or debris/water could fall into the blind and rail mechanism. I'm not clear about the benefit of having the blind closed and the glass open on the skylight. Ventilation shouldn't be an issue because you could just open the side windows?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:

This. Or debris/water could fall into the blind and rail mechanism. I'm not clear about the benefit of having the blind closed and the glass open on the skylight. Ventilation shouldn't be an issue because you could just open the side windows?
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you start with the blind closed and want to open sunroof, the blind opens fully first, then the sunroof opens 95%. Another push of the sunroof button opens it 100%... About 2 more inches.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you start with the blind closed and want to open sunroof, the blind opens fully first, then the sunroof opens 95%. Another push of the sunroof button opens it 100%... About 2 more inches.
If you give a first push the shade starts to open. If you directly push a second time the roof starts opening too. Comfort opening.

At least that is how it was in my f15 and 6GT. Didn't try it in the G05.

Edit: the manual says yes: pulling back twice opens both together. Pushing the switch stops the action.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Had to try it. It works but you have to be quick.

There is a build in delay of 1 second so the roof is always a bit in front of the screen. When the roof is fully opened the screens still covers half of the roof for the back passengers.

Sorry for the in garage picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The sequence in my G05 is that the shade/screen opens (retracts backward), then the glass roof. With a full push of the button to the back, the shade retracts backward all the way automatically. With a second full push to the back, the front 1/3 of the glass roof opens (flips up, then retracts to the back). The back 2/3 of the glass roof is integral and never opens. You can partially push the button either way and the screen or the roof will partially open or close, but the screen will not advance forward until the roof (the front 1/3 that actually opens) is fully closed. You can open or close the screen manually with a partial push of the button for varying degrees of shade with the glass roof closed, but there is no way to have the screen closed (fully forward) or partially closed, with the glass roof open, which is what I think the OP was asking.
I just posted a picture of my screen being 2/3 open with the roof opened to the first point. Isn't this what OP was asking for? Roof fully opened, screen not fully?

You don't have to wait until the screen is fully opened. If you give a second push back the roof opens simultaneously with the shade. At least that is what the European manual say and that is what I just tested and worked.

I didn't get the screen closed more than the opening of the roof indeed. That is impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

Edited:

This actually works - great solution! The sequence in my G05 is that the shade/screen opens (retracts backward), then the glass roof. With a full push of the button to the back, the shade retracts backward all the way automatically. With a second full push to the back, the front 1/3 of the glass roof opens (flips up, then retracts to the back). The back 2/3 of the glass roof is integral and never opens. If you push the button twice fully back, the screen and the glass roof both start to retract, and you can then partially push the button forward again to stop the screen and the roof will remain tilted up and open - but not over the screen: in other words, the screen will remain partially closed with the front glass roof tilted up, which is what I think the OP was asking.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #13
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Edited:

This actually works - great solution! The sequence in my G05 is that the shade/screen opens (retracts backward), then the glass roof. With a full push of the button to the back, the shade retracts backward all the way automatically. With a second full push to the back, the front 1/3 of the glass roof opens (flips up, then retracts to the back). The back 2/3 of the glass roof is integral and never opens. If you push the button twice fully back, the screen and the glass roof both start to retract, and you can then partially push the button forward again to stop the screen and the roof will remain tilted up and open - but not over the screen: in other words, the screen will remain partially closed with the front glass roof tilted up, which is what I think the OP was asking.
I was reading it as he wants the movable portion completely opened but the shade fully closed. I would think would cause the shade to flap and most likely break. Kind of like the rear shades where they say don’t ride with them up but the window down
      06-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

The amount of wind buffeting and interior turbulence generated by closed windows and fully opened pano would rip apart the interior pano mesh roller blind.

Appreciate 0