BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Mr. Maboomba
Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

Has anyone tracked their G05 yet?

I am signed up for a driving school / HPDE (not my first) at Laguna Seca next weekend and wondering which of my imperfect vehicles to take: a 2014 320i or a 2019 X5 50i. Both have M Sport packages and summer tires. The 320i has a BMS Stage 1 tuner which should take it to 225 hp but is otherwise stock. The X5 is totally stock but has a lot more factory capability - 456 hp V8, M Sport brakes, M Sport differential, Integral Active Steering, Adaptive M Suspension, Active Roll Stabilization. Of course it's still an SUV that weighs a ton more than the 320i (2943 lbs vs. 5240 lbs).

The advice I've gotten so far is that Laguna Seca might be too much for an X series since it has three major braking zones and I may want to save the heavier car for events later in the year at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. Just wondering if anyone here has personal experience putting their G05 through its paces.
__________________
Bimmerography: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport, 2012 BMW X5 50i, 2014 BMW 320i, 2009 BMW DINAN3, 2008 BMW 335xi, 1998 BMW 328is
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
tellch00
Private First Class
29
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Not sure the relevancy of mentioning HP /tune etc but maybe I'm missing something. If you've been on track before then you know HP might be the least important thing to worry about lol.

Regardless of which car you take, I would change brake fluid at a minimum. Another option would be to rent a spec Miata or something more prepped and beat on someone else's car. Either way have fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Tenac
Captain
Tenac's Avatar
336
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

I would never put my X5 on Laguna, the feedback you heard is right. That track is way to much for a 50i let alone X series. Maybe the X3 M Comp but that is pushing it.
__________________
2019 X5 50i
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
Mr. Maboomba
Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

3 Series it is!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Captain
United_States
307
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
I am signed up for a driving school / HPDE (not my first) at Laguna Seca next weekend and wondering which of my imperfect vehicles to take: a 2014 320i or a 2019 X5 50i. Both have M Sport packages and summer tires. The 320i has a BMS Stage 1 tuner which should take it to 225 hp but is otherwise stock. The X5 is totally stock but has a lot more factory capability - 456 hp V8, M Sport brakes, M Sport differential, Integral Active Steering, Adaptive M Suspension, Active Roll Stabilization. Of course it's still an SUV that weighs a ton more than the 320i (2943 lbs vs. 5240 lbs).

The advice I've gotten so far is that Laguna Seca might be too much for an X series since it has three major braking zones and I may want to save the heavier car for events later in the year at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. Just wondering if anyone here has personal experience putting their G05 through its paces.
Some local tracks out here won't even let you run any SUVs. I wouldn't track an x5 , but I guess it's theoretically possible.

If you have a 3 series sedan, use that one. Or swap it for a rental with insurance. Or get an m5 or m8 comp. but I wouldn't take an x3 or any x5 on the track personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
Mr. Maboomba
Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

Bay Area BMWCCA allows X series and Cayennes.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Captain
United_States
307
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Bay Area BMWCCA allows X series and Cayennes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Bay Area BMWCCA allows X series and Cayennes.

just because you can doesn't always mean you should. I think you're begging for a roll over, or at the very least brake burn out from trying to stop a 2 ton SUV before taking a 60 degree turn at a 30° incline around a 2 mile track.

most cars without premium or ceramic brakes won't last a full lap at full speed, let alone a full race. but maybe if it's a club event for joy, it might be a bit less intense.

I haven't been to track since my 3 year old was born, so maybe things have changed with SUV brakes and rollovers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #8
Resjudicata
Captain
United_States
307
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I'd also probably put a bigger cold air intake and a cat back exhaust on your track car. also maybe tinker with the suspension or lowering springs to improve handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #9
Mr. Maboomba
Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

If these vehicles can't be tracked then all this M equipment is just a great way to take money from people with too much money.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1065
Rep
2,574
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
If these vehicles can't be tracked then all this M equipment is just a great way to take money from people with too much money.
My guess is that is true. There is a reason the BMWCCA (at least my chapter) doesn't allow the X-series in its autocross events.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
152
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
If these vehicles can't be tracked then all this M equipment is just a great way to take money from people with too much money.
i always thought it was kind of ridiculous to have that much power and tech in a SUV to make it as car like as possible, except for the fact that its not and will never be, and most people who aren't pros would tip it over if they tried to drive like a pro. and even then, you're still not beating any comparable sedan around any track...
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
JSteinMD
Enlisted Member
United_States
8
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 F15 X5 50i SAV
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Track advice

Most tracks/events don't allow SUV's. I have been told that is mostly because of the curb weight - if there was a collision, your X5 would destroy a smaller and lighter 911 or M2.

I also don't think the X5 would be my vehicle of choice on the corkscrew, although they do run it around the 'ring!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
atlas
Second Lieutenant
Australia
87
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

You can track any car - just have to drive within its limits or be prepared to pay for consumables.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Thewolfbmw
Private First Class
United_States
45
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X3M  [0.00]
Having tracked my 2016 X5 50i a few times, you definitely should do it but maybe not Laguna Seca. I had DHP on my X5 which really helped with body roll but the elevation changes into turns at LS might make for an interesting day.
Be prepared to get new brake pads afterwards. I went through 3 sets of rotors before 50k. That was when they replaced everything, unlike now.
Have fun and enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 02:10 AM   #15
Mr. Maboomba
Lieutenant
United_States
89
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2014 320i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Having tracked my 2016 X5 50i a few times, you definitely should do it but maybe not Laguna Seca. I had DHP on my X5 which really helped with body roll but the elevation changes into turns at LS might make for an interesting day.
Be prepared to get new brake pads afterwards. I went through 3 sets of rotors before 50k. That was when they replaced everything, unlike now.
Have fun and enjoy!
It's super helpful to hear from someone who's done it. I'll take my 3 Series to Laguna Seca and take the X5 to Buttonwillow or Thunderhill. My goal for 2020 is to singlehandedly keep the brake pad industry running.
__________________
Bimmerography: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport, 2012 BMW X5 50i, 2014 BMW 320i, 2009 BMW DINAN3, 2008 BMW 335xi, 1998 BMW 328is
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #16
gofast182
First Lieutenant
274
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I'm a HPDE instructor with NASA and taking a X vehicle on track is not an issue with us. As a matter of fact we had a F15 X5M at Watkins Glen last year. While not exactly the same thing, doing the on-track drills at Performance Center Delivery proved the G05 40i is surprisingly capable.

With that said, I'd rather have a 2,943lb vehicle with summer tires and a low center of gravity any day of the week, even if it has a fraction of the HP.
__________________
2020 M340i xDrive, Portimao Blue
2019 X5 xDrive 40i, Mineral White
2006 S2000, Berlina Black (Track car)

Last edited by gofast182; 02-26-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Dagwag77
Private
Dagwag77's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
My goal for 2020 is to singlehandedly keep the brake pad industry running.
Hahahaha, if you've got brake pads taken care of I'll keep the rubber industry busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I'm a HPDE instructor with NASA and taking a X vehicle on track is not an issue with us. As a matter of fact we had a F15 X5M at Watkins Glen last year. While not exactly the same thing, doing the on-track drills at Performance Center Delivery proved the G05 40i is surprisingly capable.

With that said, I'd rather have a 2,943lb vehicle with summer tires and a low center of gravity any day of the week, even if it has a fraction of the HP.
I'm heading to the performance center in 2 weeks for a few days and hope they have an X5M or M50i to play with! I'll bring my dragy...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #18
MPoweRo
Captain
MPoweRo's Avatar
Australia
386
Rep
693
Posts

Drives: F82 M4 ZCP LCI2 M, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bayside, Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Do it, it'll be a laugh!

Just take it easy, tyres and brakes won't last long without some sympathy.
__________________

M4 Times (PSC2): Sandown: 1.21.76 Winton:
1M Times (PSC2):
Phillip Island: 1.53.09 Sandown: 1.24.03 Calder Park: 1.07.31 Winton: 1.36.71
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST