03-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #67
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Any US MY2019 that got updated to 03/2020.* yet? I'm nearing my first oil change and asked the dealer if they'll update to latest but their search returned "No update is necessary for your model/VIN... The software of your BMW will be updated automatically". Not even 11/2019.*! 😟
Just tell the dealer CarPlay drops out occasionally and you will get your update
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #68
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Any US MY2019 that got updated to 03/2020.* yet? I'm nearing my first oil change and asked the dealer if they'll update to latest but their search returned "No update is necessary for your model/VIN... The software of your BMW will be updated automatically". Not even 11/2019.*! 😟
Just tell the dealer CarPlay drops out occasionally and you will get your update
Thanks. I will add Spotify as well. It looks like it is only working in 11/2019.* and later (I've read it was available in 07/2019 but disappeared).
      04-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #69
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

I picked up my car and it's updated to 03/2020.31 anyone know what's new with this version ?
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      04-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #70
jeet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
I got 03/2020.24 in Australia last week on a 3d. Difficult to spot any differences so far.
Would be good to see a list of changes.......
Hi Jammit,

Did you get it via OTA or at service someone upgraded?

Thanks
Jeet
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #71
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
Hi Jammit,

Thanks
Jeet
There are no Over The Air (OTA) updates or downloadable updates here in the US. My understanding is that they just started rolling out OTA updates in Europe/Australia.

Many owners are pissed about BMW and their promises for OTA updates. Me included. My closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I shouldn't have to drive 100 miles just to update the software. I see that in Europe you can download the updates to a Thumb drive from the BMW website. However, that's not the case here in the US either.

What's worse, some dealers refuse to install any updates unless there are specific issues with iDrive that they feel justify an update.

I just dropped my 2020 X7 in for numerous iDrive glitches. The first thing the Service Advisor asked me was if I checked to see if there were any update notices in iDrive on the car. Say What? These people are idiots. I politely told him there are no OTA updates for iDrive in the US. I also told him that I know of many owners that have newer versions of iDrive than I have that don't have the issues I'm having. I will be making sure they update iDrive before I pick my car back up at the end of the week or next week.

I do love the vehicle but so far I'm not real pleased with how my first service is going. My vehicle has 7500K miles and I told them I wanted my tires rotated. He said BMW doesn't require that you rotate your tires. Say What? Sure! Of course they don't want you to rotate your tires so they'll wear out sooner and they can sell you some new tires.

I won't be buying any tires from BMW for sure.
Appreciate 2
lumpydog690.50
      04-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #72
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Hi Jammit,

Thanks
Jeet
There are no Over The Air (OTA) updates or downloadable updates here in the US. My understanding is that they just started rolling out OTA updates in Europe/Australia.

Many owners are pissed about BMW and their promises for OTA updates. Me included. My closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I shouldn't have to drive 100 miles just to update the software. I see that in Europe you can download the updates to a Thumb drive from the BMW website. However, that's not the case here in the US either.

What's worse, some dealers refuse to install any updates unless there are specific issues with iDrive that they feel justify an update.

I just dropped my 2020 X7 in for numerous iDrive glitches. The first thing the Service Advisor asked me was if I checked to see if there were any update notices in iDrive on the car. Say What? These people are idiots. I politely told him there are no OTA updates for iDrive in the US. I also told him that I know of many owners that have newer versions of iDrive than I have that don't have the issues I'm having. I will be making sure they update iDrive before I pick my car back up at the end of the week or next week.

I do love the vehicle but so far I'm not real pleased with how my first service is going. My vehicle has 7500K miles and I told them I wanted my tires rotated. He said BMW doesn't require that you rotate your tires. Say What? Sure! Of course they don't want you to rotate your tires so they'll wear out sooner and they can sell you some new tires.

tires should always be rotated. that said, I had a similar experience. I wanted an oil change after 1200 miles. I went to 3 different BMW dealerships and they all said no.
so I had to go to my own shop to get it done. as for the tires you can get them anywhere. I recommend Costco or Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #73
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Hi Jammit,

Thanks
Jeet

With the 50/50 weight distribution and all wheel drive I suspect there is some engineering behind the official advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #74
russ87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 5.0

Glitch

I had a crazy glitch on previous software where my screen would go crazy and just live a live on its own, anyone else had that? I actually recorded it can upload on YouTube and share.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #75
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
I picked up my car and it's updated to 03/2020.31 anyone know what's new with this version ?
Same here had .30 when I picked it up. I went in for a TCB (SOS) module change and came out with .31. I didn’t notice anything different and everything is working.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:24 AM   #76
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I lost the total electric km driven too. Had to start at 0. Mean fuel consumption from factory didn't change. All others were set to 0 (individual, since last charge, since last fuel, ...)
I had this with the update to the 11.2019 version.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #77
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

So is the camera switching still broken in this version? Mine used to work until the 11.2019 version then it started staying in the rearview when switching to drive instead of the front camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #78
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
So is the camera switching still broken in this version? Mine used to work until the 11.2019 version then it started staying in the rearview when switching to drive instead of the front camera.
And a reminder again that this question applies to those primarily in US and Canada. Not switching to the correct front camera with gear shift into drive has not been an issue with any version outside of mostly Canada and US. There is specific (either buggy or idiotically intentional) coding for that setting focused on US and Canada (more precisely the coding is focused on US, but Canada appears to share the US configuration for this part of the code).
      04-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #79
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
And a reminder again that this question applies to those primarily in US and Canada. Not switching to the correct front camera with gear shift into drive has not been an issue with any version outside of mostly Canada and US. There is specific (either buggy or idiotically intentional) coding for that setting focused on US and Canada (more precisely the coding is focused on US, but Canada appears to share the US configuration for this part of the code).
It's an easy fix though.

Use my coding, spin around 3 times, whisper the magic words, then wait a few day for the spell to take effect.
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
VTENGR1043.50
      05-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #80
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Automatic lane change is more fluent in 03/2020 compared to 07/2019
Dealer had the car for four days + weekend because of replacing the radiator. SA said they had the very latest so now I am sporting 7/2019.55 which I have had for months! In reality, the worksheet does not show anything about a firmware upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #81
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Dealer had the car for four days + weekend because of replacing the radiator. SA said they had the very latest so now I am sporting 7/2019.55 which I have had for months! In reality, the worksheet does not show anything about a firmware upgrade.
In order for dealer to see the latest available software for your VIN, their ISTA+ should be upgraded to latest version. Maybe you can ask your dealer to update their ISTA+ and then check again?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #82
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Cyprus View Post
Quote:
In order for dealer to see the latest available software for your VIN, their ISTA+ should be upgraded to latest version. Maybe you can ask your dealer to update their ISTA+ and then check again?
I was told that 07/2019.55 is also the latest for my vehicle. If ISTA+ is truly the key (saw similar post from LexxM3 ) are the dealers ignoring the release notice from BMW AG(?), if there's any, possibly to avoid the extra service that they'd have to do?

I'll ask my dealer about the ISTA+ upgrade but this to me is not acceptable.
      05-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #83
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I was told that 07/2019.55 is also the latest for my vehicle. If ISTA+ is truly the key (saw similar post from LexxM3 ) are the dealers ignoring the release notice from BMW AG(?), if there's any, possibly to avoid the extra service that they'd have to do?

Dealers are people and people are people: a few are very competent, most get by, and a few are utterly incompetent. It doesn't make rational sense for them to avoid *JUSTIFIED* service under warranty as they get paid by BMW for it, but a) they need justification (hence the common question "is there something wrong" before updates by many) and b) perhaps the margin on an average software update (many of which in the past took longer than scheduled) is lower than other work, or c) stupidity + laziness = incompetence.

Bimmer software updates are likely a hassle for traditional service departments: long/large and too frequent downloads, dedicated higher end (ie rarer and more expensive) trained staff, used up shop programming bays with computers and power supplies (likely required to be indoors due to that), low margins, etc.
      05-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #84
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

This:

Quote:
b) perhaps the margin on an average software update (many of which in the past took longer than scheduled) is lower than other work...
When my dealer applied the update to my vehicle in November they told me sometimes the updates go smoothly and sometimes not and that they primarily use the same technician to avoid issues. They gave me a four-hour window of when the car *might* be ready.

So it seems it is entirely possible idrive updates are simply a crapshoot and due to that fact the dealer may try and avoid doing updates unless deemed absolutely necessary as they must be losing time as it can at times take significantly longer than what BWM compensates for that job.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #85
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

Quote:
Quote:

Dealers are people and people are people: a few are very competent, most get by, and a few are utterly incompetent. It doesn't make rational sense for them to avoid *JUSTIFIED* service under warranty as they get paid by BMW for it, but a) they need justification (hence the common question "is there something wrong" before updates by many) and b) perhaps the margin on an average software update (many of which in the past took longer than scheduled) is lower than other work, or c) stupidity + laziness = incompetence.

Bimmer software updates are likely a hassle for traditional service departments: long/large and too frequent downloads, dedicated higher end (ie rarer and more expensive) trained staff, used up shop programming bays with computers and power supplies (likely required to be indoors due to that), low margins, etc.
This exactly!!

In a nutshell my experience is that dealers do whatever the hell they want, whenever they want and does not matter if they employ a newbie or an experienced staff to deal with a customer. Various reasons behind this from a do not care attitude to lack of proper training. In Cyprus the biggest factor is that each car brand is owned by one family. So if you want a BMW go to any showroom and they have the same attitude towards sale and after sale service as entire network is owned by one family. Go figure when you try and get a reasonable price for a over priced luxury car

Bottom line is to educate ourselves before we go into their shop floor and then make sure they listen to you or prove otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #86
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
I hesitated to have the G05 taken to the dealer and I was promised by the SA that they have the very latest. It might have helped if I had the ISTA number, because they ignore what we see on the menu.

I have multiple issues that would have benefited from an update, but they simply are not willing to oblige. As I asked before, I put out $90K so how much must I pay to get updated software since there is nothing OTA?

I am starting to think, I must bribe the service manager. I really don't have inclination to drive to Tulsa which would likely not make a difference and Dallas is a bit of a drive from OKC.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #87
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I hesitated to have the G05 taken to the dealer and I was promised by the SA that they have the very latest. It might have helped if I had the ISTA number, because they ignore what we see on the menu.

I have multiple issues that would have benefited from an update, but they simply are not willing to oblige. As I asked before, I put out $90K so how much must I pay to get updated software since there is nothing OTA?

I am starting to think, I must bribe the service manager. I really don't have inclination to drive to Tulsa which would likely not make a difference and Dallas is a bit of a drive from OKC.
I believe latest (or close to latest in early May 2020) ISTA+ is around 4.22.40 and PSdZData is around 4.22.31
      05-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #88
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a 04/19 prod MY19 50i running version 7/2019.55 and was told it was the latest as well. After several calls to different areas of BMW I was told that the version I'm on and the prod age of the car was preventing delta update (incremental) and that I'd need a cumulative update (full reset of entire vehicle and all settings) to get onto the latest version.

I was given TSB 840120 to have the dealership reference. I ultimately got that from a BMWNA genius via the toll free number after my dealership genius recommended calling them. I haven't pursued it yet.
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50