BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Bimmercode or alternative - remove automatic height change with changing drive mode?

Hi!
In the original state, the BMW X5 45e with air suspension changes height when changing mode (sport, electric, hybrid etc.). The other day I was parked in the highest mode with the suspension in hybrid mode before turning the car off, barely clearing an obstacle when parked. When starting the car up, it went from the previous "hybrid" mode to "electric" mode (default start up mode...). This ment that the air suspension lowered two steps and the car lowered itself onto the obstacle, creating a small scratch in the paint underneath the front lip.

I want to avoid this in the future by not letting the car change height automatically. I want the car to lower only when manually flipping the height switch next to the gear leveler.

Can I use a simple coding app, eg. Bimmercode (?) or simliar, to achieve this?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Hi!
In the original state, the BMW X5 45e with air suspension changes height when changing mode (sport, electric, hybrid etc.). The other day I was parked in the highest mode with the suspension in hybrid mode before turning the car off, barely clearing an obstacle when parked. When starting the car up, it went from the previous "hybrid" mode to "electric" mode (default start up mode...). This ment that the air suspension lowered two steps and the car lowered itself onto the obstacle, creating a small scratch in the paint underneath the front lip.

I want to avoid this in the future by not letting the car change height automatically. I want the car to lower only when manually flipping the height switch next to the gear leveler.

Thanks !
We haven't (yet?) found a way to code control over parked height strictly manually and even automatic height control associated with different default driving modes appears buggy in everything except Comfort and Adaptive (which I suspect effectively defaults to Comfort as well) — I suspect this implies that BMW engineers didn't anticipate manual/default height function well.

Most people want default manual height to be low for looks and ease of exit/entry. But you have another rather excellent case for inhibiting the random automatic height changes when parked. I don't have air suspension, but all of you that do should gang up on BMW and demand this functionality. Seriously; there are plenty of good reasons and this is just a design miss, nothing more based on random behaviour when coded to anything other than default Comfort/Adaptive.
      10-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for clearing that up. In that case, I'm waiting anxiously for this to be an option in the - hopefully - near future
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up. In that case, I'm waiting anxiously for this to be an option in the - hopefully - near future
I wouldn't hold your breath on this ever happening. At least not with current production.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Its ok.. I might have found a work around in those few cases where its very important that the height doesnt change without the drivers knowledge (e.g. when parking in the highest setting barely clearing the uneven ground):
Just do what you do when changing the tires; pressing the height leveler for 7 seconds (up or down) to disconnect the automatic height controller. As far as I have come to understand, this just "locks" the height at the current setting.

I havent tried it for more than an hour (changing tires), but maybe this would work when parking overnight somewhere where you want the height to stay at the max setting.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Note that when new, the air springs tend to hold pretty well, but as they age, over time, the vehicle can sink down some, so that's not a fixed value unless the vehicle is on. IOW, it could be risky expecting it to stay exactly where you left it when it is off.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Note that when new, the air springs tend to hold pretty well, but as they age, over time, the vehicle can sink down some, so that's not a fixed value unless the vehicle is on. IOW, it could be risky expecting it to stay exactly where you left it when it is off.
I agree. I haven't tested it, but I guess I would try it if I ever again happen to be in that particular setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
Don Juan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i, 2020 I3s Bev

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks !
maybe this helps out as i did it in mine and works perfectly. via coding, change your default startup mode to Sport Individual as I like my car to be lowered at all times :-) (i dont remember if there is a confort individual option in coding) . so what this allows me is to set the suspension in sport, transmission in comfort and steering in comfort. regardles of what setting i manually have, when i lock the car, it lowers :-)
2020 X7 MSport 40i
2020 I3s Bev
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juan View Post
maybe this helps out as i did it in mine and works perfectly. via coding, change your default startup mode to Sport Individual as I like my car to be lowered at all times :-) (i dont remember if there is a confort individual option in coding) . so what this allows me is to set the suspension in sport, transmission in comfort and steering in comfort. regardles of what setting i manually have, when i lock the car, it lowers :-)
Hey mate! Please can you share how you get your car to lower when you lock it?
Many thanks
Yans
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
Don Juan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i, 2020 I3s Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
Hey mate! Please can you share how you get your car to lower when you lock it?
Many thanks
Yans
you have to code your car to have the sport individual as default. once that is in place, you can customize your settings, in my case the suspension is set to sport. so it defaults to it.. but I recently noticed after a long period, the car sometimes goes back to the higher high...but it is random..as soon as i click my remote open doors it lowers it self
2020 X7 MSport 40i
2020 I3s Bev
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

It really is ridiculous the suspension changes height when you switch off.
I drive mine in level 2 (sport) and when I pull up and switch off it RISES to level 3 making it harder to get in and out.!
I know I can sit in the car another 20 seconds to lower it but just seems like a massive design flaw to me..
(I love my G05 and I especially love how it looks parked up low, this just bugs me..)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

in the powertrai-chassis manual you can see the 7second press method to lock the suspension height.. BUT it clearly says it will reet as soon as you drive above 4pmh... so I guess the coding should look into that reset speed of 4mph. if that could be overwritten then may be there could be a solution IF that suspension lock can survive after ignition on/off.
Attached Images

12-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #13
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

I would also love to manually go into touchdown detection mode where suspenion can raise 70mm, lets say to cross a flooded street at low speed.
Attached Images

02-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
LexxM3
is there coding that would automatic lower the vehicle to LOAD level upon placing it in park?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
LexxM3
is there coding that would automatic lower the vehicle to LOAD level upon placing it in park?
No, it is not possible.