BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #45
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Oh NO! So very sorry to hear of your accident. Most important though is that you are ok. They'll make your X5 good as new I'm sure.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #46
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The insurance estimated 13k in repairs.

Off to the collision center!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #47
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotno View Post
The insurance estimated 13k in repairs.

Off to the collision center!
Sounds about right. It was around $11k for mine.

If you already haven't, be prepared to learn some patience. I've come to learn that when it comes to repairs/work done on my M50i, it's slow going. I dropped mine off on Jan 6 for similar repair and the last and final parts didn't arrive until May 20. (I got it back like 3 weeks after initial repair, but had to take it back in like 4 different times over that time.) Covid really screwed things up b/c parts mostly had to come from Germany, and some BMW had to make. Might be better now tho.

Just had my master cylinder replaced under warranty. Car has 5500 miles and is 9 months old. Took 9 days. Thankfully in both instances, they were very accommodating and supplied free loaners.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:03 AM   #48
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

I'm glad the OP is safe, although the situation sucks, the X5 did what it was designed to do and as others have mentioned, if you were not there, the moron driving the other car would've ploughed into that red dingy little car already stationary at the light, and that would have been a right mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmak76 View Post
(For the sake my relationship, I won't go into details.)
tell us more
      08-27-2020, 05:14 AM   #49
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Crashes: yes. Fires: super rare, but never from a collision like the one shown in the video.
That is because until a few years ago >85% of the cars were running on diesel.

We will see more ICE cars burn with the new trend to switch to petrol/hybrid engines.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      08-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #50
paul325740
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 and 7

I always have a dash cam installed on every car I had in the last 12 years. I am so happy when I found out G05 has video recorder feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #51
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325740 View Post
I always have a dash cam installed on every car I had in the last 12 years. I am so happy when I found out G05 has video recorder feature.
Right, but the beauty of an after market video recorder is thieves can see it and just seeing it, whether its real or fake, is a deterrent.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #52
PilotNYC
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

I wasnt sure about purchasing the BMW Recorder but after watching your video, I just went ahead and purchased it. $149 lifetime. Thank you for the post and I'm glad you were OK in the accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #53
GSI905
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY22 Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Sorry to see that, I have watched your video drive recorder is a must have option...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #54
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

No way to record side impacts with the camera. Just front and rear but thats usually enough.
A lot of people buy a 2nd cheaper system (e.g. viofo) without all the cloud features for the side views - i've also heard some systems allow you to add 2 additional "rear view" cameras.

e.g., VortexRadar runs a 4 channel system in his vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #55
bmui1561
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05- 2021 BMW X5 x40i M-Sport

Glad you're OK!

Question about the video recorder...how do you get the video off?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmui1561 View Post
Glad you're OK!

Question about the video recorder...how do you get the video off?
There is an option to export to a USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #57
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotNYC View Post
I wasnt sure about purchasing the BMW Recorder but after watching your video, I just went ahead and purchased it. $149 lifetime. Thank you for the post and I'm glad you were OK in the accident.
I agree and wish I had done so 3 months ago...but that's a different story.

I believe that the damages may be more than your initial estimate OP. Make sure that they review the entire exhaust system since in our case, it was bent and had to be fully replaced. That's very expensive. In addition, we were able to get all brand new OEM parts for each part. 25K and still waiting for a wiring harness, but back on the road.

I am impressed about the build quality and rigidity of the vehicle, it would have been much worse in a different car.

Now I need to figure out how to do a diminished value claim in Illinois, not sure if that's something you or others know......
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #58
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I agree and wish I had done so 3 months ago...but that's a different story.

I believe that the damages may be more than your initial estimate OP. Make sure that they review the entire exhaust system since in our case, it was bent and had to be fully replaced. That's very expensive. In addition, we were able to get all brand new OEM parts for each part. 25K and still waiting for a wiring harness, but back on the road.

I am impressed about the build quality and rigidity of the vehicle, it would have been much worse in a different car.

Now I need to figure out how to do a diminished value claim in Illinois, not sure if that's something you or others know......
Yeah the BMW certified collision shop already went ahead and got supplemental for the extra damages. I have yet to know how much more it is, as they're trying to get all the parts in. The whole exhaust system is needing replacement and thats what we are waiting for. No estimate on when it will get here.

Thankfully, my satin wrap is going to be replaced and covered by insurance.

Meanwhile my appreciation grows for the X5 as my rental is a 2020 mid tier Nissan Rouge. Thankful to have a vehicle though.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #59
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just giving an update. We are shy of two months since the incident. Car went into the BMW certified collision center late August.

Car is still in the shop. From what I understand, the whip lash protection headrest can not be reset so they have to completely replace them. Also, since my car came with the towing package and trailer hitch. The part number that was ordered for a replacement, did not match what was sent from Germany. So the part number that pulls up with my VIN is not the correct part. They sent a part with a lower tow rating. Also, the exhaust took weeks to get in.

Long story short, DO NOT GET HIT.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12880.50
      10-09-2020, 11:40 PM   #60
BMW BFG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 AUDI A3

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
So glad I got this feature!

I wonder what happens if you press the hot key to start recording but it is already recording from an event it has recorded?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #61
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
It is worth noting that the camera system is 1080P - or 1920 x 1080. If you use the camera to record a situation manually, you can select a single camera and get the full resolution. You might pick the front camera, for example.

But for the purposes of monitoring for accidents, it is probably best to keep all four cameras going, because you cannot predict from which direction an accident will come.
So when using all four cameras, the overall resolution is still 1920x1080, but it is divided into 4 quadrants. So each camera gets a quadrant of the screen, and each quadrant has dimensions of 960x540. So when you see the accident in this video, all you care about is the rear camera, but you can only see a resolution of 960x540 in that quadrant.

The constraint is not the individual camera lens. What matters is how many pixels are available on the silicon chip that is recording (in this case 1920x1080). These pixels can be assigned to a single camera, or allotted to multiple cameras.

In my case, I was disappointed that this option was not included on the X5 I purchased, even though I had the the parking assistance package, etc. so I should have all these cameras. I would have had to get the Executive Package to have this feature, if I recall correctly). I learned later that I could add this feature through the App Store, and I got it immediately, for reasons that are obvious in the original post above.
So is there no way to pick a channel and export that only? Like front or rear only? It's all or nothing?

Quote:
Just giving an update. We are shy of two months since the incident. Car went into the BMW certified collision center late August.

Car is still in the shop. From what I understand, the whip lash protection headrest can not be reset so they have to completely replace them. Also, since my car came with the towing package and trailer hitch. The part number that was ordered for a replacement, did not match what was sent from Germany. So the part number that pulls up with my VIN is not the correct part. They sent a part with a lower tow rating. Also, the exhaust took weeks to get in.

Did they say if the hitch receiver took most of the impact and prevented rear from getting more damage? I wonder if that's what caused more damage on drunk's car? Usually in rear ends the car in the back gets a bigger damage since front ends are designed to absorb the impact and have crumple zones with a lot of empty space in front of the engine block.
      10-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #62
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
[QUOTE=hyde;26785727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
Did they say if the hitch receiver took most of the impact and prevented rear from getting more damage? I wonder if that's what caused more damage on drunk's car? Usually in rear ends the car in the back gets a bigger damage since front ends are designed to absorb the impact and have crumple zones with a lot of empty space in front of the engine block.
^^ I am wondering about the same. Could the hitch absorb the impact better? Or, since the hitch is attached to the chassis could it be more detrimental to the vehicle that it is attached to? Bumper or any other frame parts are not absorbing the impact, it is directly transmitted by the hitch receiver to the frame. Anyone have knowledge on this subject?
      11-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #63
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Quote:

Did the actuators in the headrest restraint actually go off. Or were damaged because of the impact? I would be curious as when my vehicle was rear ended with the actuators, they did not pop out on the head rest.
What other type of electronic items were involved with the headrest/seatbelts.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #64
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
So is there no way to pick a channel and export that only? Like front or rear only? It's all or nothing?

Its all or nothing, it depends on the record setting you have set. So if you only have it to record front, and you get rear ended, theres no way to get footage from the rear camera. And since I have it to record all cameras, theres no way to pick just one.

No clue what took the most impact, honestly the rear hitch was just slightly bent in the chain hook on the corners. Thats the only visible damage it had.

[QUOTE=SmartSaves;26785770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post

^^ I am wondering about the same. Could the hitch absorb the impact better? Or, since the hitch is attached to the chassis could it be more detrimental to the vehicle that it is attached to? Bumper or any other frame parts are not absorbing the impact, it is directly transmitted by the hitch receiver to the frame. Anyone have knowledge on this subject?
From what I know, no frame damage but I've been getting the run around with BMW. So who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Did the actuators in the headrest restraint actually go off. Or were damaged because of the impact? I would be curious as when my vehicle was rear ended with the actuators, they did not pop out on the head rest.
What other type of electronic items were involved with the headrest/seatbelts.
They actually went off. Ive attached a photo. I THINK the seatbelt tensioners also went off since it was throwing a restraint error code for all seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #65
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

How does this damage look compared to your vehicle?
Have they given you an updated cost of repair? I have to imagine it's going to be quite high since you've had the rental car for 90 day's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #66
Rixbimmer
Rixbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 M50i

Just purchased my car - How do you look at the recorder and how do you download from the recorder?
Appreciate 0