BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Driver Assistance Pro - camera and hazards

I'm hoping to get some details on driver assistance pro package on 2021 x5. Two questions:

1) what sensors are used for the system so I can be sure they are kept clean through the winter?

2) how does the system handle road hazards like debris or potholes? I am not someone who will divert attention from the road with DAP engaged but I'm curious and want to know what my threshold should be to intervene (a personal threshold mostly informed my own experience with the system but everyone else's will also be helpful)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post
I'm hoping to get some details on driver assistance pro package on 2021 x5. Two questions:

1) what sensors are used for the system so I can be sure they are kept clean through the winter?

2) how does the system handle road hazards like debris or potholes? I am not someone who will divert attention from the road with DAP engaged but I'm curious and want to know what my threshold should be to intervene (a personal threshold mostly informed my own experience with the system but everyone else's will also be helpful)

Thanks!
1) Full details on every sensor used on the car, including KAFAS and radar, can be found here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...7&d=1544379664

2) In short, it doesn't currently. They are looking at object detection but its not available on production models. If you are following another car with Assisted Driving engaged, then it will mirror that car's behaviour more or less. If the car avoids a pot hole, you probably will too...
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post

Thanks!
1) Full details on every sensor used on the car, including KAFAS and radar, can be found here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1544379664

2) In short, it doesn't currently. They are looking at object detection but its not available on production models. If you are following another car with Assisted Driving engaged, then it will mirror that car's behaviour more or less. If the car avoids a pot hole, you probably will too...
Much obliged for the concise response and holiday reading.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Well DAP isn't going to save you from a pothole but if you keep all 4 cameras located (if equipped with Parking Assistance Package - 360 view) in:

1. Front grill
2. L/R side mirrors underside - side cameras
3. Rear trunk above license plate - rear view camera

And windshield clean, you should be good.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Don't forget the front long and short range radars under the grill. If these get really dirty, and/or iced, the DAP system will deactivate.

The car also uses the side short range radars to detect wandering vehicles who want to share your lane. If the car detects an encroachment, then it can react - brake, steer to the left/right. I've never known the system complain about these sensors being dirty/iced, but I guess they could in theory. Unlikely that side on radars would be disabled before the front-facing ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
On a secondary note, road hazards such as debris on the road, stalled vehicles and dangerous driving situations are communicated through the traffic information, and if Audi, BMW and MB ever get linked up through HERE, will be communicated across vehicles in real time. Traffic info was very useful on a recent trip, and although I never used it much before, the Alternative Route feature is great for finding your way around stalled traffic and construction.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Well DAP isn't going to save you from a pothole but if you keep all 4 cameras located (if equipped with Parking Assistance Package - 360 view) in:

1. Front grill

I don't think these 4 cameras mentioned are ever used for assistance — they are just for humans and drive recorder, not computers. In addition to the various radar points, the KAFAS triple camera used for DAP is at the top of the windshield out-looking opposite the rear view mirror mount. A windshield wipe with fluid gets that clean.

P.S. I guess that's not completely true: some of the user cameras (mirrors, front grill, rear hatch) are used for parking assistance functions, but not DAP.
      11-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:

1. Front grill

I don't think these 4 cameras mentioned are ever used for assistance — they are just for humans and drive recorder, not computers. In addition to the various radar points, the KAFAS triple camera used for DAP is at the top of the windshield out-looking opposite the rear view mirror mount. A windshield wipe with fluid gets that clean.
Oh ja, I conflated the questions 1 and 2. Meaning for winter just keep the cameras clean and later for DAP. TY for the clarification.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Front grill

Oh ja, I conflated the questions 1 and 2. Meaning for winter just keep the cameras clean and later for DAP. TY for the clarification.
And it's also more complicated: I think the users cameras ARE used for parking automation.
      11-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Front grill

And it's also more complicated: I think the users cameras ARE used for parking automation.
Yep parking automation - clearance next to objects and with Off-Road package for checking clearance off-road.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

I love this forum. Solid thoughtful advice from folks who know about and care about their cars. Thanks.
Appreciate 0